Patters

Duke Nukem Forever Canned [and then not]

There's a liveblog here, and it sounds pretty terrible.

Edited by toblix

I haven't played the full version, but I've played the demo and it was rather disappointing. Five years ago this game could have come out and been acceptable, given its history. At this point, it's not retro enough to be particularly nostalgically enjoyable, but it's retro enough that the UI, gameplay conceits, graphics and humour are all irritating. I'm glad that it's finally out so we can put this thing to rest, but I don't really want to play it for any great length of time.

From a business standpoint, I don't think 2K and Gearbox will take a loss, but I am fairly sure that the project considered as a whole will (I don't see how it couldn't at this point). They may or may not get away with making a sequel, but it sure isn't an impressive revival of a strong franchise by any means.

From twitter:

Duke Nukem Forever getting low review scores… maybe they should have held it back for polishing?

:grin:

Bad game or not, it feels weird and momentous to see that update image from Steam.

I also hear it's rather shit.

it doesn't smell like it

So far I'm loving the game. It's pretty much what I expected from the game, and it's a lot like Duke3D used to be. Quite often the graphics do look dated, as in, looks like a 3 year old game. But the gameplay feels solid and fun.

But, I don't like the health regeneration and 2 weapon limitation.

I wasn't supposed to play the demo, but as the shipping is taking FOREVER I decided to dip in the first access demo that was sitting in my Steam list. I feel the same as elmuerte. It's like Duke3D, but the modern console stupidity with 2 weapon limit and regen health. Also don't like drunk stuff after Duke takes just one beer, what is that about?

WTF. There is a 2 weapon limitation?? That's stupid as hell. If there is any game where it fits that the character is lugging around 12 different weapons, then it's Duke Nukem.

Kinda weird that they made it beer and not hard liquor, which is way more manly.

WTF. There is a 2 weapon limitation?? That's stupid as hell. If there is any game where it fits that the character is lugging around 12 different weapons, then it's Duke Nukem.

Kinda weird that they made it beer and not hard liquor, which is way more manly.

Obviously it has not been programmed by real men :tmeh:

Yeah the two-weapon limit seems like a discouragement to use all the fun and stupid weapons that you expect to find in a Duke game.

note that pipebombs and tripmines are separate; but it is very annoying to choose which weapon you're going to take with you

Duke doesn't hide.

Actually.. you do to recover health. But no, there is no cover system. Duke also doesn't use power armor. There are some rail shooting elements, some driving elements. Anyway, I'm liking it. 6 hours in, and I think I'm at 66% to 75% of the "story".

Kind of disappointing to see those low scores after all this time. The spinoff Critical Mass for the DS, which I had the displeasure to review, was terrible, but I had expected the big Duke to be at least a lot of goofy fun, if not a great game.

Is it a lot of goofy fun, or just kind of trite?

It doesn't look either from that Giant Bomb playthrough video thing. It looks about as funny as Prey and about as exciting as... Prey. Hmmm.

Well, it at least staves what I said in the review of Critical Mass; that Duke is a relic from the 90s and it would've been wiser to have kept it there.

Is there anyone who genuinely enjoys Duke Nukem as a character? I have a feeling even the designers must've thought 'well, WE don't enjoy it particularly, but there's loads of people out there who DO.' Except there might not be, so in the end everyone will be scratching their heads why something like this ever got made today.

I like the Duke Nukem character, he owes a lot to 80s action movies, and Ash from the Evil Dead. What's weird from the video is how the world seems to love him now... I'm sure he's funnier when the whole world is against him.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

how can't you love a guy that wrote the best seller "Why I'm so great"

Oh my god, this game is so boring. I almost appreciate what it tried to do, in some places, but generally it's just a clusterfuck of stitched together bullshit that at no point comes together and becomes something more meaningful. No, it's 'kill this wave of dudes', 'solve this environmental/jumping puzzle' and 'here's another wave of dudes'. Yawn. I stopped caring.

Duke Nukem isn't funny either. Though I had some chuckles here and there, the humor comes down to pop-culture references, which are never particularly witty, or clever, but always in-your-face and about as subtle as something that is not subtle at all.

Though it is never particularly bad, it's also never particularly good. It is, however, consistently boring and uninsteresting. :tmeh:

This all reminds me of Snakes on a Plane. a weird meme with a loyal following and lots of grass-roots hype. A sub-cultural phenomenon. Then it came out and no-one ever spoke of it again.

This all reminds me of Snakes on a Plane. a weird meme with a loyal following and lots of grass-roots hype. A sub-cultural phenomenon. Then it came out and no-one ever spoke of it again.

Yeah, but at least I can say I saw Snakes on a Plane on a plane.