Patters

Duke Nukem Forever Canned [and then not]

I even played Duke3D with friends (4 on total) on a local LAN in June 1999. I still knew all ins and outs of the levels because I played it so much since 1996.

I also made a shit load of cool stuff with the Build editor, but I think I lost is all. I created quite some nifty levels. Duke3D was really something special/revolutionary. DNF won't be, but that doesn't matter, all that matters is that it offers the same gameplay. And that's what I've been hoping for since DNF was first announced.

Like I said, Duke wasn't really popular as long as goldeneye, the PC gaming community moved on after a couple years.

I would like to say:

I've never played a Duke game before, and I am looking forward to playing this game.

I've been hoping for it to come for ages. It would be super if they could include some kind of playable form of the 2001 version of Duke. The E3 trailer they made for that has always been one of my favourite game trailers.

Same. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, as I imagine that build is not even close to being releasable.

That said, the E3 2001 is exactly what gave me so much confidence in Duke. Every time I watched that trailer, even years after it came out, it still looked modern. It still looked like the best in the business. Sure, the tech got older, but the set piece design was unmatched. Only Half-Life 2 surpassed the set piece design of DNF, and that was 3 years later.

Still got my fingers crossed for that set piece design magic shining through, but I think Valve set the bar too high at this point, and we'll see DNF (maybe) match them, but not surpass them.

Cheers,

Mo

If the game were any good I'd be inclined to agree, but Duke 4ever looks like a steaming piece of shit.

I'm not saying that anybody that played the game years after it's release are incapable of appreciating it, but they're certainly romanticizing the experience. There's no way they would have played through it otherwise, 'cause it doesn't really hold up. Games like Starcraft and Street Fighter are recognized as balanced games that hold up beyond their presentation, and have a lot more to call back to than just pure nostalgia.

I was more of a DOOM fan myself back when Duke3d came out (hell I still feel that DOOM2 had one of the best weapon sets for deathmatch that ever was)...and I prefered Quake to Duke when that came out (even though Quake had some of the most horribly weak shotguns in it and I never really liked the weapons in it outside of a couple...they were just bland outside of the RL and LG and occasionally the GL)...that having been said, Duke did belong to that era when games were generally faster paced and less concerned with realism (I will admit that I hated CounterStrike with a passion back in the day...and its weird because I don't mind other games of that ilk like Battlefield or CoD...but I still can't stand CS).

I think generally the trend with FPS games today is to have less variety in weapons, slow pacing, and to make game design choices in an attempt at a sort of action movie-esque realism...and I'm ok with that if its just in some games; but the industry has a tendency to latch onto one concept or set of ideas and then they don't stray much from that. I think part of what I'm excited about with a new Duke (or more-so with Bulletstorm from the Painkiller guys) is something that breaks from that trend and brings a little more variety. I don't think there's one right choice in game design that all games should follow and I'd love to see more FPS games doing something different...and old school shooters of any sort qualify as different in todays climate.

My actual concerns with DNF are more that it looks like its going to try to modernize itself in an attempt to do all the stuff other games are doing...and if thats the case I have a feeling that we will end up with a game that brings back the less interesting aspects of Duke3d without retaining the stuff that actually made that game different from the run of the mill shooter today.

I will agree that SF2 and SC hold up much better than DN3D (tbh I think the FPS equivalent to those games would likley be one of the Quakes or even DOOM2 if you want to go back further)...but that said if DNF is fun I don't give a fuck about anything else. I don't think DNF will be the SC2 or SF4 of FPS games...but I would love to see someone make such a game...but thats another discussion that I've thought of starting.

Nothing beats setting up laser trip mines and luring your opponents into them. Or using a shrink ray on a mirror to hit your opponent just to squish them, they never saw it coming...

I found a bit of the fun of DN multiplayer was that, although the weapons were ridiculous, the action took place in mostly realistic contemporary urban locations created with a high level of detail, and there's something about setting up an intricate trap in the bathroom of a seedy strip club, and then hearing it work just through the sound of footsteps and explosions. I might be remembering this wrong, though.

I was more of a DOOM fan myself back when Duke3d came out (hell I still feel that DOOM2 had one of the best weapon sets for deathmatch that ever was)...and I prefered Quake to Duke when that came out (even though Quake had some of the most horribly weak shotguns in it and I never really liked the weapons in it outside of a couple...they were just bland outside of the RL and LG and occasionally the GL)...that having been said, Duke did belong to that era when games were generally faster paced and less concerned with realism (I will admit that I hated CounterStrike with a passion back in the day...and its weird because I don't mind other games of that ilk like Battlefield or CoD...but I still can't stand CS).

I think generally the trend with FPS games today is to have less variety in weapons, slow pacing, and to make game design choices in an attempt at a sort of action movie-esque realism...and I'm ok with that if its just in some games; but the industry has a tendency to latch onto one concept or set of ideas and then they don't stray much from that. I think part of what I'm excited about with a new Duke (or more-so with Bulletstorm from the Painkiller guys) is something that breaks from that trend and brings a little more variety. I don't think there's one right choice in game design that all games should follow and I'd love to see more FPS games doing something different...and old school shooters of any sort qualify as different in todays climate.

My actual concerns with DNF are more that it looks like its going to try to modernize itself in an attempt to do all the stuff other games are doing...and if thats the case I have a feeling that we will end up with a game that brings back the less interesting aspects of Duke3d without retaining the stuff that actually made that game different from the run of the mill shooter today.

I will agree that SF2 and SC hold up much better than DN3D (tbh I think the FPS equivalent to those games would likley be one of the Quakes or even DOOM2 if you want to go back further)...but that said if DNF is fun I don't give a fuck about anything else. I don't think DNF will be the SC2 or SF4 of FPS games...but I would love to see someone make such a game...but thats another discussion that I've thought of starting.

Yeah I understand that sentiment, I wish more shooters were old-school (read: PC centric). But if anybody paying attention should know that this new Duke will not be that. It'll be old, in the fact that the engine is old as hell, and will lack technological advancements without a major code overhaul, but from the Pitchford pitches it sounds like they're heading towards generic console shooter.

And if they were going to go in that direction, they would have been better off going whole hog.

Duke Nukem Forever already looks more interesting than most FPS in that you can interact with stuff in the environment. Everything isn't just a geometrical shape to knock over or run into or hide behind, you can actually do stuff with it. It's a good design philosophy that hasn't been followed at all. It's crazy that in an FPS you can't climb objects that arent ladders, crawl under low stuff, or squeeze into small spaces. As depicting a persons action, FPS are super restrictive in that way. The only really accepted change to motion is crouch jumping, and that doesn't really represent any sort of real motion. The only real change to interaction is the ability to get a gravity gun and throw things, or maybe shoot something and watch it change between discrete damage models. How long will it be until I can use my arms to climb something, or grab a ledge I missed, or better yet land with only my torso on an object and scrabble up using my legs on the side. It's crazy that the only FPS that have interactive locomotion with respect to obstacles are Mirror's Edge and Brink, and the only FPS I've seen that lets you just write on a whiteboard is Duke Nukem Forever. Penumbra also gets points, although a lot of those interactions are physics based, there isn't a single fake locker or desk in those games.

I'm not saying that the interactions in DNF will be great or interesting, but it will be an interesting design idea that I hope other people look at.

Duke has always been awesome with that. In Duke3D it was amazing to use all kinds of stuff and see them actually move an do something instead of just being static backdrops and items. Like the pool table in the first map and the payphones.

Also pipe bombs were magnificiently done in Duke3D. The mirrors worked great in the bathrooms. All that small stuff made the game great and the maps were done in cool way.

I'm hoping DNF will deliver lots of interactivity like that. When I hear stuff that you can use the whiteboard etc. then that is exactly what I'm hoping for.

At some point I seem to remember GeorgeB bragging about the game having working microwaves that you can use, propably to kill miniature pig cops for example.

It'll be old, in the fact that the engine is old as hell, and will lack technological advancements without a major code overhaul, but from the Pitchford pitches it sounds like they're heading towards generic console shooter.

And if they were going to go in that direction, they would have been better off going whole hog.

We've been hearing very different things about DNF then, as I've heard nothing of the sort (graphics engine I won't comment on, too subjective)

I was not impressed by my time with Duke Nukem Forever. I hope they release the trailer that they showed, because it was awesome in a very dumb way.

I hope the final product is more Duke Nukem 3D and less generic 2010 FPS.

Didn't you just absolutely contradict yourself? Duke 3D was played years after its release, too.

I think you've got it, Thunderpeel. I do remember a 4-5 year period of the Duke 3D popularity for both myself and many friends. By the time I was 12 I had no longer cared about Duke Nukem and was on to other games.

I am 24 by the way, but I was also playing the side scroller Dukes in the first grade, if that makes any difference.

But I'm not excited about this new game so I guess I'm not a poser.

Brand new Duke Nukem fan film from bunch of Finnish people filmed at a strip club in Turku, Finland.

UkB43FHalAo

Edited by Kolzig

Nice photography and brilliant concept... The game-makers have no excuse for not creating something as cool as this. (Would have loved a, "My beer... Those bastards..." from Duke at the end, though.)

Pretty sweet! It could've been really cheesy, but despite Duke not being quite human in design, it was very cool.

They said that it was filmed during one day with on camera at the club.

I think you've got it, Thunderpeel. I do remember a 4-5 year period of the Duke 3D popularity for both myself and many friends. By the time I was 12 I had no longer cared about Duke Nukem and was on to other games.

I am 24 by the way, but I was also playing the side scroller Dukes in the first grade, if that makes any difference.

But I'm not excited about this new game so I guess I'm not a poser.

I thought duke3d was awesome, but then quake came and I never looked back.... for some reason. Probably because of QuakeWorld.

I kind've wish I played it longer, multiplayer was a hell of a lot of fun, but I only played it on a lan and those occassions were few and far between.

I never got into Quake and had no LAN setup, but despite having the PC version of 3D there were a lot of late nights spent on a friends Nintendo 64 playing that released version split screen. I am not fully sure exactly why it was so nonstop hilarious at this point but I do remember a friend who was constantly giving away his location by handing the money to the strippers and making the "Yeah baby!" sound effect play over and over.

1-b78TKZIyw

For all the negative things I've said about Duke, that trailer made me laugh quite loudly :tup:

I like Gearbox a lot. I hope it has the same humour as Borderlands.