Patters

Duke Nukem Forever Canned [and then not]

Nope. Never.

However, Ratchet & Clank has a load of weapons. And the way of selecting them it sort of ok. Sure, it pauzes the game. But you can still select the weapon you want.

Yea using the dpad to select one of 8 weapons would be fine. I'm callin bullshit on Broussard.

it's kind of funny..

it start with one weapon, then 6, then 9 or 10; then came Unreal and we had 10 with alternate fire (so, sort of like 20 weapons)...

yeah, gamepads suck for [TF]PS games

Irishjohn, from what I've gathered they've actually picked up exactly where the 3DR team left off and are finishing the game, so there are still things in there that were made in 1997, as well as lots of brand new stuff. I have to admit, I'm curious to see what happens, though I'm certainly not in the day one perch crowd.

I'd be surprised if there was anything left from 1997 after all the engine changes and such. And 13 years.

I don't get it, why are they still calling it Forever? Seriously, there's no possible way ANY game could live up to the legend that DNF has developed. Make a Duke Nukem game and call it something else. People get a Duke Nukem game, and nobody worries about it living up to the impossible expectations.

Because they're getting all this free publicity?

The hype for this game is so artificial it drives me nuts. Half these baby journalists raving about it being at PAX grew up on Goldeneye and Halo, so I don't know why they give a shit about Duke. And anybody old enough to have played the originals knows this game is way past it's prime.

Fuck it, fuck it all to hell.

The hype for this game is so artificial it drives me nuts. Half these baby journalists raving about it being at PAX grew up on Goldeneye and Halo, so I don't know why they give a shit about Duke. And anybody old enough to have played the originals knows this game is way past it's prime.

I'm not sure about it being past its prime...in terms of gameplay I'd like more fast/oldschool shooters that don't even pretend to be rooted in reality...that having been said I doubt this will be that entirely. Really I'd just like more 90's style FPS games...especially on the multiplayer side...perhaps id or someone will someday make the Starcraft 2 of FPS games.

Why is DNF still relevant & why am I still excited for it?

It will not based in a (real or fictitious) Middle Eastern country. It will not involve shooting a handful of pixels from far distances. It will be colourful. It will (hopefully) not require you to hold down TWO triggers just to fire a weapon. It'll be funny, even if it's in a juveniele way. Even if most of the jokes fall flat, it'll be funnier than most FPSs on the market. It'll have enemies that are not soldiers, and some which are not human. Its design will not be bogged down by reality.

In Short: Always Bet On Duke.

Cheers,

Mo

What's the over/under on Duke making a joke about the wait for Episode Three at some point during DNF?

Will we see Gordon's mangled body in some secret passage and hear Duke say, "that's one doomed theoretical physicist"?

And anybody old enough to have played the originals knows this game is way past it's prime.

Screw you.

I welcome a game that is just about having fun while shooting stuff. DNF is like the Expendables of games. For the same reason I'm looking forward to PeopleCanFly/Epic's Bulletstorm.

Afaik 3DRealms has always be honest about the game's intent: just mindless over the top action. And I hope gearbox completes the game in the same spirit.

Screw you.

I welcome a game that is just about having fun while shooting stuff. DNF is like the Expendables of games. For the same reason I'm looking forward to PeopleCanFly/Epic's Bulletstorm.

Afaik 3DRealms has always be honest about the game's intent: just mindless over the top action. And I hope gearbox completes the game in the same spirit.

Enjoy your dissapointment. But if you were truly around for Duke 3D and are still hyped up for it, you're one hell of an optimist. Most people I see excited though were practically in diapers when the game came out though, and I just think it's a bunch of poser bullshit.

Most people I see excited though were practically in diapers when the game came out though

Really? I'm older than most of y'all, and I figured it was only people my age who would be interested in this game. We're the Beavis and Butt-head generation, after all.

As long as Duke Nukem Forever keeps the amount of goofy action high and remembers that we could interact with just about anything in each level, I think they'll do all right.

That quote above about limiting the weapon selection suggests otherwise, though. Oh well! The good thing about Duke being so lightweight is that you don't have to be disappointed if they screw it up.

Enjoy your dissapointment. But if you were truly around for Duke 3D and are still hyped up for it, you're one hell of an optimist. Most people I see excited though were practically in diapers when the game came out though, and I just think it's a bunch of poser bullshit.

Sorry, but what?! They are younger than me (at 20) Duke Nukem 3d came out in 1996, not that long ago. You mentioned "grew up on Goldeneye" a title that came out in 1997. I think you're on the wrong time-line.

Sorry, but what?! They are younger than me (at 20) Duke Nukem 3d came out in 1996, not that long ago. You mentioned "grew up on Goldeneye" a title that came out in 1997. I think you're on the wrong time-line.
Maybe that's a bit confusing, but Goldeneye was played for years after it's release. Especially since the game cube was such a flop. People in my brothers generation played goldeneye when the PC crowd was already deep into Counter-strike.

I know nobody follows age guidelines, but if you were 12 when Duke was popular, you would be 26 or older now. So why are these 20-year olds excited about a game they probably never played?

Maybe that's a bit confusing, but Goldeneye was played for years after it's release. Especially since the game cube was such a flop. People in my brothers generation played goldeneye when the PC crowd was already deep into Counter-strike.

I know nobody follows age guidelines, but if you were 12 when Duke was popular, you would be 26 or older now. So why are these 20-year olds excited about a game they probably never played?

Stop being Patronising. Yes Goldeneye was played for years after release, as every great shooter is. You seem to be posing those excited for it as console gamers, Duke3d came out on: PC, Mac, N64, Saturn, PS1 and XBLA. I played it in around 2000 at a friends house, so if I were excited (I'm not) for it am I wrong because I'm 20? No of course not; if someone played the XBLA release and are excited for it are they wrong? Same answer.

People got excited for Street Fighter IV when they hadn't played the previous titles, were they wrong to do so? Nope. People have played similar games, so another property can be appealing to them.

Stop being Patronising. Yes Goldeneye was played for years after release, as every great shooter is. You seem to be posing those excited for it as console gamers, Duke3d came out on: PC, Mac, N64, Saturn, PS1 and XBLA. I played it in around 2000 at a friends house, so if I were excited (I'm not) for it am I wrong because I'm 20? No of course not; if someone played the XBLA release and are excited for it are they wrong? Same answer.

People got excited for Street Fighter IV when they hadn't played the previous titles, were they wrong to do so? Nope. People have played similar games, so another property can be appealing to them.

If the game were any good I'd be inclined to agree, but Duke 4ever looks like a steaming piece of shit.

I'm not saying that anybody that played the game years after it's release are incapable of appreciating it, but they're certainly romanticizing the experience. There's no way they would have played through it otherwise, 'cause it doesn't really hold up. Games like Starcraft and Street Fighter are recognized as balanced games that hold up beyond their presentation, and have a lot more to call back to than just pure nostalgia.

The first moments of Duke 3D still work better than, say, Half-Life once you actually get around to killing aliens. It's got great pacing and great shooter gameplay. The jokes might have all been stolen but if that was all the game had going for it no-one would care now.

There are no games like Duke anymore, that's why Duke's return is very much welcomed. It's exactly like elmuerte put it. Duke is the Expendables of games industry.

I've been hoping for it to come for ages. It would be super if they could include some kind of playable form of the 2001 version of Duke. The E3 trailer they made for that has always been one of my favourite game trailers.

The only thing about DNF worrying me is that they seem to be aiming it at the consoles more than at PC. The talks of this two guns at a time in your inventory seems like a Halo choice rather than a PC FPS choice. If they implement it in a good way or at least give it a reasonable explanation then it could be ok. Why not make it so that PC can have the true game with no awkward design choices and the consoles can have their two guns at a time design. I call bullshit on George Broussard's comment that people play FPS games on PC with their gamepads also. That kind of people are crazy.

Everything else about reading the multiple hands-on previews is getting me excited.

This game will be so much more than the crap the industry puts out today. (For example Singularity, I'm talking to you.)

This game is 3DRealms last game, Triptych games, the kicked out former 3DR developers worked on this game basically in their garages after the project was halted and people fired from 3DR. Gearbox is putting the finishing touches on the game, but of course if they've been working on this game for over a year, it will have a lot of influence from Gearbox as well, it's not purely 3DR anymore.

I don't get it, why are they still calling it Forever? Seriously, there's no possible way ANY game could live up to the legend that DNF has developed. Make a Duke Nukem game and call it something else. People get a Duke Nukem game, and nobody worries about it living up to the impossible expectations.

^ That. "Duke Nukem: Committed Misogynist"

It will not based in a (real or fictitious) Middle Eastern country. It will not involve shooting a handful of pixels from far distances. It will be colourful. It will (hopefully) not require you to hold down TWO triggers just to fire a weapon. It'll be funny, even if it's in a juveniele way. Even if most of the jokes fall flat, it'll be funnier than most FPSs on the market. It'll have enemies that are not soldiers, and some which are not human. Its design will not be bogged down by reality.

Thank you SiN, for making it sound interesting. Gearbox are good at silly and polished; maybe they will do something magnificent with it. I am dreading the spirit of it and its reception. The design will be interesting though.

Is it going to have any connection at all with the cancelled DNF? Or are Gearbox just going to make an awesome Duke Nukem game in a year?

I enjoyed the crap out of Borderlands, and I love me some Duke Nukem.

It is everything that 3DRealms & Triptych made since the latest startup of the project and Gearbox have been working on this since 2009 when 3DRealms closed shop and the court battle started with Take2 and 3DRealms.

Reminder, Gearbox was mentioned in the court documents to have been working on few years on something called Duke Begins, lame name, but maybe that will be something for the future or included in the final DNF product. Gearbox has been reveiled to now own the rights to Duke Nukem.

I think the American football field boss battle that you can see on the Gametrailers' gameplay videos was on some previous trailer and/or leaked footage as well. I guess that doesn't mean anything yet, though.

Yes, I remember also that in one of the leaked clips there was part of a battle in the remaked Duke Nukem 3D final battle at the American football field. In the PAX demo included that American football field fight and it was cleverly part of the demo as Duke playing a game of Duke Nukem. I hope that all is included in the game, as a part of the real game or as just an included demo release.

Gamasutra interview with Randy Pitchford

Edited by Kolzig

Maybe that's a bit confusing, but Goldeneye was played for years after it's release.

If you were 12 when Duke was popular released, you would be 26 or older now. So why are these 20-year olds excited about a game they probably never played?

Didn't you just absolutely contradict yourself? Duke 3D was played years after its release, too.

Anyways, Duke 3D was recognised as having great level design, an interesting universe, and being fun, not just having cheesy humour. Yes, it's nostalgia, just like with Monkey Island, but what's wrong with that?