Patters

Duke Nukem Forever Canned [and then not]

I don't get it, why are they still calling it Forever? Seriously, there's no possible way ANY game could live up to the legend that DNF has developed. Make a Duke Nukem game and call it something else. People get a Duke Nukem game, and nobody worries about it living up to the impossible expectations.

I suspect they took the source and just finished the game, rather than starting from nothing.

Anyone who knows anything about the development history of Duke Nukem Forever won't care, 'cause they're finally playing whatever's left of that game. And those who don't know about the history won't care, they're just getting a Duke Nukem game..

You do realize gearbox is working on the game 3drealms wanted to release late 2009, right? Hence the same title.

The "forever" has to do with the plot of the game, and it was sort of a play on it being the 4th Duke Nukem game (back then). So, Duke Nukem Fo4ever was they would spell it these days.

The "forever" has to do with the plot of the game, and it was sort of a play on it being the 4th Duke Nukem game (back then). So, Duke Nukem Fo4ever was they would spell it these days.

Nah, it would just be Duke Nukem 4ever.

Nah, it would just be Duke Nukem 4ever.

No, I think elmuerte got it right.

Fofourever? no wayy.

You just don't get modern spelling. It could also be D4ke Nukem Forever

Y'know, regardless of the quality of the game, Duke Nukem Forever will be a huge launch when it comes out. I really hope it doesn't mean that gearbox will only be making those games though.

Y'know, regardless of the quality of the game, Duke Nukem Forever will be a huge launch when it comes out. I really hope it doesn't mean that gearbox will only be making those games though.

I'm so sure about this being a huge launch in terms of sales. Like others have said, this seems like it definitely could be the Snakes on a Plane of video games. The internet loves it, it gets tons of traffic on blogs because of the drama around its development and ridiculous nature, but when it comes time to drop $60 on it a lot of those people might suddenly find better uses for their money.

There is a lot of nostalgia around this for a certain subset of older core gamers, but most younger kids playing video games will have no idea who this guy is. It might just be able to trade on corny schtick, but to me Duke is just kind of embarassing now.

There is a lot of nostalgia around this for a certain subset of older core gamers, but most younger kids playing video games will have no idea who this guy is. It might just be able to trade on corny schtick, but to me Duke is just kind of embarassing now.

Yeah, they tried to reboot Wolfenstein and that didn't work so well either.

And they definitely updated Wolfenstein to be a lot more in-line with most modern shooters (maybe because the original doesn't have much personality to begin with besides shooting crazy nazis.)

DNF looks and sounds a LOT like the original games, I have no idea if this will work for or against it. Without a huge dose of irony, Duke just seems pretty gross now. Then again, maybe I'm overestimating consumers' desire for subtlety in games.

We still don't know absolutely ANYTHING about this game, so all this beard-stroking wisdom you're dispensing about what it is and isn't going to be like is substanceless.

We still don't know absolutely ANYTHING about this game, so all this beard-stroking wisdom you're dispensing about what it is and isn't going to be like is substanceless.

Well I'm basing this on the gameplay videos coming out of PAX and extensive descriptions on places like Kotaku . All I'm really concerned about is the tone of the game, maybe the gameplay will be brilliant and the tech will be amazing, who knows. I just don't know if Duke is a character people really care about anymore, besides as a sort of freak show to leer at and giggle.

I guess fans of first-person urination sequences have something to get excited about now though.

I suspect they took the source and just finished the game, rather than starting from nothing.

I'm assuming this as well, and I can understand why 2K picked Gearbox for this project. However, we never really knew for sure at what state the current build was of the game.

I feel like they are taking a pretty big gamble on this. I am wondering what what the dollar figure is on Gearbox's contract, too. I honestly don't think it is a good idea. The snakes on a plane reference from somebody is spot-on.

This game looked great 10 years ago, but I feel like this type of FPS is way past its prime, plus the IP is irrevelent and I don't see it being resurrected in the way we are seeing the Fallout/System Shock/X-Com franchises rebirthed.

2K does have the ability to market this beyond belief, but I just have this feeling it won't pay off.

hmm.. :tmeh:

The little gameplay I have seen doesn't look too interesting. I never really found Duke Nukem to be all that hilarious or cool either, except on a teen boy "hi hi.. tits and hookers" level. I have a feeling that it would have been more hilarious if this game was pending release forever.

But whatever. I might be completely wrong and this could be turn out to be the best thing ever, or at least a lot of fun.

You just don't get modern spelling. It could also be D4ke Nukem Forever

D4ke Nuk4m For4v4r: The Fourth 4

Hahaha. Man, wait for the game to be released forever and then when it is within reach, start wondering if you really need it, if the protagonist is something you even want to see again. I guess I kindof agree, Duke Nukem is a relic and in many ways an epitome of what is wrong with video games.

About the two-weapon system, George Broussard sez:

Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard".

It's not 1996 anymore.

Has anyone been this honest about dumbing down a game for consoles before?

Is it going to have any connection at all with the cancelled DNF? Or are Gearbox just going to make an awesome Duke Nukem game in a year?

I enjoyed the crap out of Borderlands, and I love me some Duke Nukem.

I think the American football field boss battle that you can see on the Gametrailers' gameplay videos was on some previous trailer and/or leaked footage as well. I guess that doesn't mean anything yet, though.

Has anyone been this honest about dumbing down a game for consoles before?

Nope. Never.

However, Ratchet & Clank has a load of weapons. And the way of selecting them it sort of ok. Sure, it pauzes the game. But you can still select the weapon you want.