Patters

Duke Nukem Forever Canned [and then not]

DNF isn't canned. This is just 3D Realms closing... There has been no official word about that yet. Take 2 still owns publishing rights to the game and would probably move it to another studio (if legally allowed) to finish it and get it out the door.

DNF isn't canned. This is just 3D Realms closing... There has been no official word about that yet. Take 2 still owns publishing rights to the game and would probably move it to another studio (if legally allowed) to finish it and get it out the door.

publishing rights doesn't mean you can let an other studio make the game.

Yeah, far as I'm aware the only thing they negotiated was the right to handle the publishing. 3D Realms funded the actual development themselves, and as such retain it all as intellectual property. Of course that can change.

I do find it really sad, but then it sounds like the company was incredibly mismanaged and much of what we've seen didn't really exist as a game anyway. I doubt the game is anywhere near finished even at this stage, despite them continuing to string people along with that stuff last year (Or was it the year before?).

There's absolutely no excuse for a game having such a long development cycle, and the whole "Where the fuck is all the money coming from?" thing had to end eventually. I mean, they're not Valve — they haven't been putting out amazing games in the meantime, nor does it sound like their development has been particularly smart or productive.

Shit, I've grown up and gotten a career since that fucker was announced.

the DNF project was restarted a couple of time, so it wasn't 12 years of development. It might have been 2 year + 3 years + 3 years + 4 years.

That's what I meant. It was still 12 years of development to try and get a single game out the door, and having to restart development once is a pretty epic planning failure IMO.

^ What he said :eek:

Edit: The mob style chair leg stuff is just very, uh, WTF.

The idea of a game as secret engine research project and marketing vehicle is very, very interesting.

Edit edit: RPS comments:

The Chair Story is fiction… just my attempt to have fun playing on the theories that DNF is some vast conspiracy.

Or… is it?

The story was written well over a year ago.

Source link is dead because the 3DR server is, but apparently confirmed on their forums by the author... I can see this is going to be an excellent games industry myth for years to come.

Edited by Nachimir

This is a story I wrote on another site in response to someone wanting me to elaborate more on a “chair story” I had referred to that happened during my time at 3DR. It’s not something I wanted to lose to the shifty waters of the Internet though, so I’m re-posting here. It’s left as is except for some typo cleanups and other minor details. Enjoy.

So even it is a 'story' it isn't fiction, because it 'happened'? Or what?

Sounds somewhat believable, quite eccentric, but, in my (uninformed) mind, it fits the game industry in 2001 (the Ion Storm stories of extravagances, and just look at the suit CliffyB is wearing -> it has to be true!).

Mh, whatever, nice read.

3513511592_4d2ddc8a50_o.jpg

Okay, on second thought, the violence sounds a bit off. But the 'idea' could be 'real'.

Edited by castorp

(the Ion Storm stories of extravagances, and just look at the suit CliffyB is wearing -> it has to be true!).

Images not working here and your link is replaced with a "Duke wants YOU to stop stealing our bandwith 3drealms.com" image.

I just noticed that their 404 page says 40Fnord - nice touch :tup:

Images not working here and your link is replaced with a "Duke wants YOU to stop stealing our bandwith 3drealms.com" image.

I just noticed that their 404 page says 40Fnord - nice touch :tup:

Now it should work.

Scott and Mark Rein alternate on and off saying that I apparently wasn’t aware how *real* business is done and that if I didn’t want to find out why those two companies had maintained such a strong position in the industry dating back to the shareware days (when it seems people didn’t ask nearly as many questions about why developers appeared, made a game, and then disappeared without a trace)… I had better reconsider my answer.

Oh my, conspiracy just went too high there

Okay, on second thought, the violence sounds a bit off. But the 'idea' could be 'real'.

CliffyB looks like a teen cosplayer costumed as CliffyB.

That's pretty fucking sinister. It could just be a good yarn, but based on the amount of money both companies and both sets of people stood to make...:deranged:

Heh.

It does have some charming moments there, but I really hope they didn't scrap all the awesome-looking neon city, sea, and desert environments from the 2001 version for grotty industrial areas.

The Duke 3D-eaque stadium was probably the most colourful thing there, and admittedly that did look ace.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/316675.html?playlist=featured

Leaked footage. Looks like a budget game, but it would have done well in Old Man Murray's Crate Review System.

It's a demo reel from the animator. Not a proper gameplay footage demo. Also, absolutely no info on how old most of the work is. The level of detail across that movie isn't very consistent.

I must not have grown up since middle school, because the first person bird-flipping rocked my socks (as did the rest of the Breakdown-esque first person body awareness parts.)

I think that footage was really good. Fantastic animation there.

It does have some charming moments there, but I really hope they didn't scrap all the awesome-looking neon city, sea, and desert environments from the 2001 version for grotty industrial areas.

The Duke 3D-eaque stadium was probably the most colourful thing there, and admittedly that did look ace.

I got the feeling from the 2001 trailer that the game had a lot of colorful stuff in Vegas but also included other dingier areas. The newer screens never showed the core Vegas stuff, but it seems like the plot for almost a decade was "the villain from Duke Nukem 1 and 2 is back, and is in Vegas, and you have to stop him," and at least based on Prey's decade in development, 3DR wasn't into revamping their stories once they got going. I don't really know anything about it at all, but DNF gave the impression of being reasonably large in scope, and one of the things I had always at least more or less been expecting was that, whatever else it had, the game would include a pretty wide variety of environments.

Someone on Shacknews claims that the stadium in DNF was going to be the opening of the game, wherein it's revealed that you're just replaying the end of a slightly spruced up DN3D on an arcade cabinet, at which point the game would pull back and show you the full actual game. No way of verifying that, but the guy in the comments sounded at least reasonably authoritative, I guess.