SignorSuperdouche

Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe

Whilst it's quite possible that a) Brooker's just messing around for laughs or B) this is initial research for a show which never makes it into production, Charlie posted on twitter that he's looking for suggestions for the

worst Video game bosses ever
to be sent to
gameswipe at zeppotron dot com

Whilst more Charlie Brooker is always a good thing in my book, I'm not sure the -swipe format is well suited for his return to games commentary. Would this not just be a longer and probably less yellow version of Zero Punctuation?

What do other thumbs think?

Well, I'd hope it was better than Zero Punctuation, but you're probably right: It'd amount to a very similar thing.

It could be good, though. Brooker is generally excellent, but I'm not a fan of aimless ranting for the sheer hell of it (looking at you Yahtzee) -- If he can maintain a decent balance of quality commentary, it could be good?

I doubt it'd ever have a large audience, though.

I clocked this tweet, too.

I don't know. I agree, Th'Peel, that Brooker could probably make it a lot deeper than outright ranting. The best moments of Screen- and Newswipe involved his moments of more level-headed commentary. It would be interesting to see, if this is a proper project, how he comes at it.

I realise we're working off nothing here, but I'd be a bit sad if he's retreating into 'the worst video game bosses' as content, because I thought that Newswipe was, for the most part, brilliant analysis, commentary and satire rolled into one - whereas that idea sounds a bit exclusive and shallow.

I know I'll be watching it, though.

I realise we're working off nothing here, but I'd be a bit sad if he's retreating into 'the worst video game bosses' as content, because I thought that Newswipe was, for the most part, brilliant analysis, commentary and satire rolled into one - whereas that idea sounds a bit exclusive and shallow.

I doubt worst bosses is the entire idea. He also polled twitter for examples of newsreaders losing the plot for newswipe, and that was only a bit of one of the shows.

Completely off topic, but what's all this "colour me" business about? I've started hearing it all the time in the last year or so, is it from something?

In the US i've heard it mainly during political times "colour me blue" said when Obama said something really appealing to the right wingers.

Isn't it some sort of extension/post-modern take on a saying like "paint me red" (for being embarrassed?). Who knows, but it's been around for well over a decade... and probably longer than that.

"Color me excited," could basically be replaced with "In case you happened to be classifying me at this moment, I am excited." It's a fairly old expression at this point, if you consider the 1960s "fairly old" for a colloquial term like that. The best the internet seems to come up with is that it's a phrase borrowed from children's color by numbers books, which made its way into pop culture including folk and pop songs in the '60s. I could imagine something like "color me blue" from a children's book being turned into a song, except (spoiler) "being blue" would become an analogy for something!

I've heard this expression as long as I can remember. Not noticed it becoming any more or less common recently.

I could imagine something like "color me blue" from a children's book being turned into a song, except (spoiler) "being blue" would become an analogy for something!

I figured it might be something like that, but it's just that I'd never heard it until recently, and now I keep hearing it, so I thought it might be a reference or something. I guess maybe I was just filtering it out before or something.

I feel kinda dumb now.

This kind of stuff happens all the time: once you notice something you start to pay attention to it and it's suddenly it's everywhere.

I guess all interested parties are following Charlie's twitter anyway, but if there's anyone who's not he's just announced Gameswipe will be shown on Tuesday.

An interesting note is that it will feature interviews with Rab and Ryan from Consolevania, which is exciting.

Yeah saw this in the tv listings today. Awesomeness!

It was really nice seeing Rab in Screenwipe.