Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Box Art Design Challenge 1: Danté's Inferno

Inspired by similar NeoGAF and SomethingAweful threads, we present the Idle Thumbs Box Art Challenge.

You may:

a) Create a beautifully understated visual poetry of graphic design, subverting all the usual expectations of video game promotional artwork.

(I recommend keeping use of pre-existing artwork to a minimum for this one).

or

B) Create a satirical mockery of all the usual expectations of video game promotional artwork, plastered with explosions and IGN pullquotes. That kind of thing.

(Extra marks for humour here*).

*There are no marks.

Or if you don't feel up to it just pitch an idea for someone else to make, along with links to reference material or whatever.

No prizes, no votes, no deadline, just for fun and awesomeness.

Week 1 theme:

Danté's Inferno!

edit: oh and don't forget to be polite and link source material where appropriate.

Edited by DanJW

I have a list of all the thumbers who are graphic designers or who have any artistic skill at all. I expect you all to make at least a token effort :tup:

Nice! Ice broken, cherry popped etc. Good work.

A quick bit of research: typical DVD front cover size is 12.94cm x 18.25cm.

There is a good selection of templates here (orange links for the PSDs) but do not feel that you have to use any of the ESRB labels and other banners, unless you really want to.

Second attempt, just realized I can attach more than one image :(. A lowly attempt from an architecture student. Looking forward to the graphic design kids' submissions

post-574-13375603110538_thumb.jpg

I have an idea, but will forget to do it, and am not good at making things. I'll try to remember to try.

I think I got carried away here.

The second one is guaranteed to sell 10x the amount of copies.

And now I'm going to bed.

post-269-13375603111956_thumb.jpg

post-269-13375603113289_thumb.jpg

HEY MR. VANIA IS THAT THE PHOTO YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT WHEN WE WERE PLAYING GTA AND NOBODY OTHER THAN THE BROTHERS BLIX WERE THERE shout shout shout

Now that's for the collector's edition cover :P

edit:dunno what happened with the edges of that bow, some magic wand settings being high or something, so here, my first go, I'll try to make it funnier next time :P

post-2199-13375603114838_thumb.jpg

So I have little to no photoshop experience but I thought I'd give this a go. Looking forward to the next challenge :tup:

finale.th.png

Hahaha, nice use of the "What the Heck" background there.

Thanks, it's all about the details, although I think the esrb rating was a bit too subtle/tiny.

It was supposed to be option A, but i'm afraid I ended up with something a bit generic. ah well, next time.

idleThumbs_dantesInferno-3_02.jpg

Actually I forgot to mention it but your art cover is pretty neat technically Spindrift, did you make that art happen ?

I secretly decided to make the challenge fortnightly, in the hope of some more entries (including from, er, myself). But we should decide on a subject for challenge number 2, yes.

Suggestions so far are Brutal Legend and "Idle Thumbs Rythm-Game Play-Along Podcast... Thing".