OssK

Comment on the Fresh Indie Games Compendium

Fuck this thread is awesome, I just played a huge amount of scarygirl, that game is awesome at the peek of awesomeness...

And I loved emerald city confidential :)

Yeah, thanks! :tup: I gotta say that I appreciate the fact people embraced the format so readily. I do web design at a design shop wherein practically none of our clients care to follow the design standards we create for them, so I am very thankful when it accidentally happens. I was half-expecting the thread to escalate into critiques of certain games mentioned therein, and dorks vetoing entries as insufficiently fresh or not technically indie, etc. It is also nice that a separate comment thread evolved.

So basically, I love each and every one of you. :chaste:

One of the many rules of web design: get the programmer to automate everything, including:

Photos croping and scaling

Text formating

File Upload

Otherwise you'll spend the next month on the phone with the client isn't that true ?

"I don't understand, the photo occupied the whole sceen it destroyed to layout... WHY ?!"

If it had shitty comments it wouldn't really be a compendium anymore, but apart from me there ain't many dorks on these forums...

One of the many rules of web design: etc.
Yes yes yes... I am always more than eager to implement all that. The problem is that all these features increase the cost of the site and people don't want to pay shit. Our admin does scrub a lot of the cut-n-pasting-from-Word-and/or-Outlook artifacts, but it seems we never have the opportunity to properly educate clients in what makes good design. Ultimately it doesn't matter because eventually they will realize that what they're doing looks ugly, is illegible and badly organized, and will come crying back to us to make it pretty. Still, they will provide us with crappy copy littered with typos and their logo in a 75px by 75px jpeg... But you know, whatever, what I do is frivolous. I feel petty for complaining. When design is good, I feel warm and tingly. When it is bad, no one dies.

And might I add: we might be missing a "platform" rubric

Hm, yes, kinda. The "available" bit covers that, no? If it is STEAM you won't get it on your Wii, if it is XBLargh, it is not on the DS, etc.

Unless it is, and then you say: Avaialble: steam, xbl, ds

Phew! I didn't want to break the pristine silence in the other thread, nice job on creating this one :tup:

So all those titles have to be "fresh", right? No point in adding Uplink or Darwinia (?)

Fuck these games were awesome, you all suck for not speaking french, I wrote a killer review on that game...

I'd been arrested for playing with uplink and not knowing it had real implications and I described the game, fuck I was so young when I wrote this...

IGN would've never taken such a review of course, I did not mention any bikinis...

But I don't really know if Darwinia Aquaria Uplink and EV Nova are AS indies as some other :P

So all those titles have to be "fresh", right? No point in adding Uplink or Darwinia (?)
I think those would qualify... If you think the relatively vague direction of, "important, interesting, weird, under-the-radar, fresh, indie" applies more than it doesn't, go for it. While it came out ages ago, there is really nothing like Uplink out there, and the many Darwinias are not selling as well as the Introversion duders would have liked, plus they're both still available on Steam and on the official sites, so I think they qualify. Defcon is also fair game. :tup:

I have a list of like 15 or so independent games I've been meaning to play that have been recommended to me here and other places, but since I haven't played any of them, I'm afraid to recommend them.

You know, someone might come back later and call me a bastard for recommending such an awful game.

I have a list of like 15 or so independent games I've been meaning to play that have been recommended to me here and other places, but since I haven't played any of them, I'm afraid to recommend them.

You know, someone might come back later and call me a bastard for recommending such an awful game.

This is a good example of syntheticgerbil using his best judgment on the matter. :tup:

It should have one more thing, though: link to a thread discussing the game.

Fuck these games were awesome, you all suck for not speaking french, I wrote a killer review on that game...

I'd been arrested for playing with uplink and not knowing it had real implications and I described the game, fuck I was so young when I wrote this...

IGN would've never taken such a review of course, I did not mention any bikinis...

What? You were arrested for playing Uplink? You didn't know it had "real implications"? What? :erm:

That's a good idea... but maybe we should see if a game becomes particularly worth of discussing before created a load of new threads. Not sure how this could be decided, though. (Maybe by monitoring this thread?)

you all suck for not speaking french,

Some of us do. You could have at least posted a link...

What? You were arrested for playing Uplink? You didn't know it had "real implications"? What? :erm:

I think it was a joke, as in when you hack into a server in the game you're hacking into a server in real life too.

Very cool thread, anyway. I can't think of anything to add to it but I have been reminded of a couple of games I need to play :tup:

This is a good example of syntheticgerbil using his best judgment on the matter. :tup:
I was half-expecting the thread to escalate into critiques of certain games mentioned therein, and dorks vetoing entries as insufficiently fresh or not technically indie, etc. It is also nice that a separate comment thread evolved.

So basically, I love each and every one of you. :chaste:

Well you know, I wouldn't want to fall out of love with you. :eyebrow:

I'd figure, if there is already a thread about the game on the forums, link to it. If there isn't, don't. More: section seems well-suited for this kind of thing.
Well you know, I wouldn't want to fall out of love with you. :eyebrow:
Well, had all that happened, I would've taken it in stride. Note that I wasn't dreading or lamenting that happening. I was just half-expecting it to happen. I figure a less constricting format would be better than a more constricting one.

Yes, I was thinking of threads that already exist. I'll add a link to my post.

Don't know how to align the links without adding another More: in front of it.

I'm not allowed to spam Ben There Dan That! again, right..?

It is a fresh indie game so I'd say go for it - if you don't post it I'm sure somebody else will.

I love Ben There, Dan That!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001