MrHoatzin

Fresh Indie Game Compendium Extraordinaire

Cat Poke

By: Jason Boyer

Available: right here

Synopsis: You are a very small girl stuck inside on a rainy day who has decided to make it her mission to poke every one of her family's nine cats in the butt. Puzzle platformer. Very short and surprisingly fantastic.

3uQJIg0.png

FJORDS 

By: Kyle Reimergartin

fjordsss.com

You're a pizza delivery guy. Hack terminals, execute commands to alter the environment and mechanics, and use your grappling hook to navigate.

"FJORDS PROGRAM ORIGINALLY CONCEIVED AS A SERIES OF EXPRESSIONS CONTAINING AND ITERATING THE VARIABLES OF THE SHARECART1000 PROJECT WITH EVENTUAL ILLUMINATION FOR MULTIPLE WORLDS CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND BEST PRAXIS. NOW ASSEMBLING AND MANIFESTING IN RELATIVELY STABLE FORMS ALLOWING EXPLORATION AND TESTING BY ALL SCIENCE PRACTITIONERS, IT IS OUR HONOR AND PRIVILEGE TO PRESENT AS INVITATION THE EXCITING COLLABORATION OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC SCIENCE AND EDIFICATION, A TRANSFORMATIVE MOMENT FOR PARTICIPATION AND FURTHER COLLABORATION IN OUR SHARED VISION. "

Trailer:

Lone Survivor

By: Jasper Byrne

Genre: Survival Horror (ala Silent Hill 1-3 and Resident Evil 1-3, only in side-scrolling format)

Synopsis: You play as a surgical mask wearing man who lives alone in an apartment building after a virus outbreak wiped the world's entire population, leaving behind horrifying lurking creatures that set out only to kill what they see. Armed with your wits, instinct, and meager survival skills, you set forth to look for anyone who is still alive. Yet, you begin to wonder if what you see...is even real anymore.

OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS SO COOL WHERE DO I GET?!?!: On their websiteGOG, or on Steam! Check out the demo if ya want.

Unlike most horror games that are inspired by other works of horror, this game game never feels like a blatant pastiche. It takes elements from many classic horror works (I'll let you to figure what those works are) in order to serve its eerie, and somewhat ambiguous tale. And the gameplay and atmosphere is just fantastic, instilling a sense of dread, weakness, and despair in perfect unison. And as a 6 hour game, it never feels too long or too short. Add a beautifully haunting score, and you got yourself something special.

And to think all of this was made by Jasper alone! Seriously get this game, you won't be disappointed (hopefully), only scared (hopefully). 

Damned

By: 9heads Game Studios

Available: Steam or Desura

Sypnosis: Multiplayer horror game. Up to 4 people play as feeble humans who must survive long enough to navigate their way to the exit of the level, while 1 other person systematically hunts them down as a horrifying flesh monster or ghostly apparition. Early access and still a bit rough around the edges, but already has the potential to be both terrifying and hilarious when playing with people you know (randoms maybe not so much, it can be trolled pretty easily).

Important note: all of the people in the video below are kind of ruining the game by not using the in-game voice chat. It has locational voice so you can only hear people near you, which makes getting separated pretty tense, and also means the monster can find you if you're too loud.

Kindness Coins

By: Story by Arden Kehoe; Art by Spider; Programming by Jordan Battiston and Michael Real, both of whom I can't find online

Available: Mac and Windows download links here

Synopsis: A five-to-ten-minute game made for the Pulse-Pounding, Heart-Stopping Dating Sim Jam where you play as the girl being wooed by the protagonist in a dating sim. It is supergood.

Bummer, this looks really neat but the download links are 404ing for me. Anyone know of a working mirror?

(Ahh sorry for commenting the thread up even more)

Hmm, I guess I never posted my biggest-deal game here.

InFlux

By: Impromptu Games which is my company

Available: Steam or GOG or Humble or Amazon. 50% off right now

Sypnosis: InFlux is a puzzle game that mixes exploration and puzzle platforming in a series of beautiful natural and abstract environments. You are a mysterious metal sphere which falls from the sky, traversing an apparently deserted island dotted with cubic structures of glass and steel. Each glasshouse is a puzzle to be solved.

Pom Gets Wi-fi

By:  Me-Patra

Available: Here!

Synopsis: Pom is just a Pomeranian who wants to surf the net who dies in a fire with Shibe, the other dog that lives in the house... Pom is tumblr in "doge" form, some jokes might be brilliant, some might make you cringe... Some references might needs some thinking, which are the best kind:

tumblr_mrkm17k8DJ1rnym4ho1_500.png

But most of the game is this:

pom_gets_wi_fi__look_at_the_time_by_warb

I thought it was hilarious... :|

The Last Door

By: The Game Kitchen

Available: The Last Door website

Synopsis: A free, episodic atmosheric horror game that combines deliberately ambiguous low-res pixel art with realistic, pervasive audio. Play it in the dark with headphones!

dMN8QTh.jpg

"Airships"

By: David Stark (Zarkonnen)

Available: http://zarkonnen.com/airships/

Synopsis: Construct your own blocky airships, stuff them with all kinds of explosive weaponry and watch them light up like a Zeppelin. You're able to fight multiplayer matches via the internet. And you can order custom heraldry. Don't tell Jake.

screen-shot-2014-05-05-at-04-21-05.png

"Floating Point"

By: Tom Francis

Available: http://store.steampowered.com/app/302380/?snr=1_230_231__103

Synopsis: An abstract, peaceful game about swinging from grappling hooks. Also, it's free!

Floating-Point-281.3982.png

The game is really relaxing, has a nice ambient soundtrack, and has a nice feeling of flow once you get used to the mechanics. The goal of each level is to swing around and collect red beams of light, and once you finish, it draws out your path through the level, which is "super-good." For just a free thing put out on Steam, it is pretty great. Definitely worth a look.

"Glitchhikers"

By: Silverstring Media

Available: http://glitchhikers.com/

Synopsis: On a night drive, you pick up and talk to a range of unusual characters. Relatively little action, beyond accelerating, decelerating and changing lanes, but tons of atmosphere.

Trailer: 

8.png

"DEIOS"

By: Barch

Available: http://barch.itch.io/deios

Synopsis: A cloaked adventurer defeats a bunch of gods in a beautiful glitchy universe. You can mix and match gun parts to create weapons to match your situation.

Trailer: 

aY6N05.png

POP: Methodology Experiment One
By: Rob Lach (me :shifty: )
Available: Steam / Game Wesbite
Synopsis: An experimental game which was designed music first, with the gameplay and aesthetic derived from the creative flow of the music production process, composed into an erratic package of vignettes binded with eclectic videos.
Trailer: 

Screens:
popme1highway_1mb.gifpopme1launch_1mb.gifpopme1airraid_1mb.gif

ASTRONEER

By: System Era

Synopsis:

Explore and exploit distance worlds in ASTRONEER: A game of aerospace industry and interplanetary exploration.

Trailer:

Blade Ballet

By: Dreamsail Games

Available: Steam and PS4, summer 2016

Synopsis: Blocky little player-controlled robots spin around and hit each other with glowy swords.

A buddy of mine who used to do art for Insomniac went and founded his own studio and this is their first baby and I'm very excited for them.

Lumo

By: Triple Eh?

Available: Steam and PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One

Synopsis: Isometric puzzle platformer.

I've been enjoying this simple, polished, and weird puzzle platformer, in the style of Solstice, with a quirky sense of humor recalling demo-scene; and great "Boards of Canada" style soundtrack.