Sign in to follow this  
Sergey

Free to play hunting game -- The Hunter

This really came out of nowhere.

http://thehunter.com

The Hunter is a hunting game unlike Deer Hunter in that it doesn't suck. Surprisingly, it uses the "Just Cause" engine, and manages to look better than both COD4 and Crysis.

thehunterscreenshotbiga.jpg

90% of the game is walking around a forest, 9% looking at deer poop and deer tracks, and 1% actually interacting with deer. JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE!

Although the game is free, they intend to make money by charging for "extra features" such as hunting turkeys instead of just "mule" deer. Whatever that means! Ha ha! Video games!

Take it from me, this game will blow you away! And you have nothing to lose, it's free!

Sign up now and enjoy their random name generator. My character is named Chester Harden. Add me as a friend! I'll promise to be nice.

Edit: Almost forgot to give it a score!

Graphics: 10

Story: 11

Replay Value: 72

Tilt: 9/10

Overall: 8/10

I've been registered for a couple months now but never actually got around to trying it as the download was so slow. Forgot all about it, but guess I'll give it another try as it does look pretty impressive.

Now it's come to the point that I can't even play freeware games on my computer without turning the graphics down... Damn it all.

Do I get some truck balls and a Sarah Palin 2012 hat pin?

Woah, that's damn photo realistic. My brother just replaced his video card, I'll tell him to try it.

EDIT:

Dammit, I wish it was about hunting dinosaurs.

I've been registered for a couple months now but never actually got around to trying it as the download was so slow. Forgot all about it, but guess I'll give it another try as it does look pretty impressive.

Yeah, if your download is slow, just go into the menubar and select 'Toggle Direct Download'. Otherwise, you're on a P2P client that'll probably max out at 5 kb/sec.

That could be good. Stalking through the bushes looking for dilophosaurs and velocirpators. Saying "Clever girl" just before getting eaten. Yes.

Emote have an office in the same town as ours, I'll suggest it next time I see them :)

There is an actual series of games about that, but they suffer from being crap.

There is an actual series of games about that, but they suffer from being crap.

Carnivores? I loved just walking around in those worlds but the game was shit.

EDIT:

Or zombies :getmecoat

Haha they would probably do surprisingly well on the internet if they added zombie and dinosaur hunting.

Haha they would probably do surprisingly well on the internet if they added zombie and dinosaur hunting.

Sadly, it would not be that surprising.

Who would want to kill a dinosaur? They're so nice. Not to mention zombies, so cuddly. :getmecoat

Do I get some truck balls and a Sarah Palin 2012 hat pin?

Living in a city where I see at least 4 pairs a day, I must point out that it's actually truck nuts.

I don't like my hometown...

I installed it (the process was a hassle*) and while it is quite pretty from videos and screenshots, if you pay attention to the details you find lots of things like this floating path (attached)

* first you have to install a downloader, then launch the downloader through the web site, then let it download the game, then manually go into a directory you guess should be where it downloaded it, run the setup program, which fails silently until you clean up disk space, then run it again, then again, now it's installed, you try a few times to launch the game through the web site, it fails, you almost give up but decide to try once more, finally it works.

post-74-13375603108669_thumb.png

I installed it (the process was a hassle*) and while it is quite pretty from videos and screenshots, if you pay attention to the details you find lots of things like this floating path (attached)

* first you have to install a downloader, then launch the downloader through the web site, then let it download the game, then manually go into a directory you guess should be where it downloaded it, run the setup program, which fails silently until you clean up disk space, then run it again, then again, now it's installed, you try a few times to launch the game through the web site, it fails, you almost give up but decide to try once more, finally it works.

I'll just cancel out this post with my own experience, which was an easy automated install that took (including downloading) less than 10 minutes. Running this game on my Mac, I haven't experienced a single graphical glitch.

So...this topic actually exists! Awesome!

The reason I'm raising it from the dead is because I've recently gotten back into playing this after having played some DayZ, and it's quite interesting how much parallel there is between the way both games work in terms of pacing. This is obviously much more casual in it's theme (nothing is trying to kill you), and it's single player only. I'd recommend anyone who likes DayZ and has any interest in a game with similar pacing to give it a go.

Also, if you like it, there is also an entry on Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94011364