gdf

Life

So what happens if you can't do everything?

That's a good question because I realistically can't.  I'm not likely to lose my job or anything (to be honest they can't really afford to get rid of anyone anyway) but it's not going to makes things easier if something gets missed.

That sounds super stressful SAM. If things turn out poorly that's a management failure, not your failure.

In a way it is, but we're talking about executive level here.  The higher ups made a number of business moves that didn't pay off so now they're tightening the belt, the effects of which are usually felt the most at the bottom.

Been throwing up since four in the morn. At the ER now; my lower back is fucking killing me and in a lot of pain.

Fuck this lofe

The two forum users in Paris that I know of are both physically unscathed. Another has relatives in the city who are both OK.

If every person in the world is only six degrees of separation from every other, maybe it's not so strange that in Paris, a city of 2m, I heard of at least two instances of people being just two degrees away from one of the casualties.

That's a good question because I realistically can't.  I'm not likely to lose my job or anything (to be honest they can't really afford to get rid of anyone anyway) but it's not going to makes things easier if something gets missed.

In a way it is, but we're talking about executive level here.  The higher ups made a number of business moves that didn't pay off so now they're tightening the belt, the effects of which are usually felt the most at the bottom.

My last boss gave me the advice that sometimes you just have to let a few balls (or in this case chainsaws) drop, or else the higher ups are never going to accept that there's a problem. It's not always the easiest thing to do, but it's something to keep in mind at least.

It's not so much that they don't accept there's a problem, it's more that there isn't much they can (or want to) do about it.  At this point the most I can do is focus on the big ones while trying to work on the little ones when I can.

Someone somewhere up there could make the decision to hire someone, despite the hiring freeze. It might be way above anyone you talk to day-to-day, but someone has the power.

Related to the subject of "Life", as of yesterday night I am a father. My beautiful son is very healthy and whenever I look at him, I feel like crying cos I'm so proud. It's a bit weird.

Also my missus is hard as nails! Never getting in a fight with her.

Hah! Or a warning for the unwary. He's literally toothless at the moment, though, so not much to be concerned about.

His real name is Max Fury, which his mother and I think is pretty cool? Destined to be a superhero/villain

Ug, my first time having a multi-day power outage. I generally have enough things with batteries to entertain myself, but my Wife was less thrilled. Also, having to tend to a fish tank with no power is a pain in the ass. If power's not on when I get home from work, I'm going to have to do some pretty serious work to keep the fish healthy.

Hah! Or a warning for the unwary. He's literally toothless at the moment, though, so not much to be concerned about.

His real name is Max Fury, which his mother and I think is pretty cool? Destined to be a superhero/villain

very great, congratulations and hope all the best

we had our first bout with sickness today; looks like a mild eye infection / tear duct not draining properly/forming yet.  everyday is something...but it feels more like once have the hang of something the kid changes the rules. best of luck and health

Angered by the taunts of the competing longboat team, mad Max Fury rowed.

Mother and baby are faring very well so far, he's eating loads and Cara has a remarkable amount of energy considering her protracted labour. Happy atmosphere atm and family are rallying around with gifts and treats, I do feel hugely lucky.

It was when we saw Fury Road that we decided to call him Max :D

I do not recommend getting the major blood vessels in your neck strangled. That was perhaps the most odd and terrifying experience I've had. Tap out in time when you're wrestling, people!

I had an 'interview' the other day where I bascially wasn't asked anything, I thought that was pretty strange. I did give a presentation and was asked some questions regarding that, but there wasn't even a "tell us about yourself".

That's because they've already stalked your facebook and already know about you.

Fun employment story in my neck of the woods, we got a new tester last Monday. He got fired on Friday. Fucking weird.

For another potential applicant we googled his name and the first article that came up is about a paedophile caught at his address. Although the pedo was unnamed, just the association with it meant he didn't get the interview. The internet is a fucking scary place.

For another potential applicant we googled his name and the first article that came up is about a paedophile caught at his address. Although the pedo was unnamed, just the association with it meant he didn't get the interview. The internet is a fucking scary place.

That's really gross. Ugh, it's that kind of thing that makes me want to keep 100% anonymity at all times. It's practically impossible if living in the same place as someone who once committed a crime means you can't even get a job interview. 

If the paedophile was unnamed, why did the article come up when you googled the applicant's name?

Got told I'd got a job 2 days ago. Went on to sign a load of stuff today and I start on Monday. First actual job, I'm shitting it to be honest.

Got told I'd got a job 2 days ago. Went on to sign a load of stuff today and I start on Monday. First actual job, I'm shitting it to be honest.

:tup:

Congrats! That pretty much entirely sums up my sentiments for my first real job.

My boss is out for the next 6 weeks on medical leave, and I've assumed many of her leadership and team guidance responsibilities because, uh, I guess I just naturally assumed that role, even though my title puts me lowest on the totem pole and I've been with the institution for the least time. In the 4 days that she's been gone, the two people in our unit who are above my boss have asked me, separately, "Is your boss hard to work for? Does she ever impede your ability to do your job?"

I don't know what that means and I don't like the linguistic acrobatics I had to perform to say yes in a very polite, courteous, professional way that best made it seem like I wasn't saying yes. I also don't like that I had, at minimum estimate, a 33% FTE position dumped on top of me and not given any more than my standard 40 hour week to perform the workload, which was already estimated to be about 125% FTE.

At least I still find my work rewarding and love it despite the weird office politics, I guess!

I started going to the gym 5 weeks ago which has been great.

Today I got complemented on my form when doing a so-called

by a guy who clearly has been going to the gym waaay longer than I have judging by the amount he was bench pressing.

As someone with pretty low self-confidence it made me really happy.  :)