gdf

Life

I don't think lack of motivation is precisely it, your About Me page is impressive in terms of stuff you have motivated yourself to become competent at doing.

Hey, and doesn't a Cool Thumb live in San An already?

weird, if only there was a way to look up other Idle Thumbs in a geographical proximity

**I updated the original post of that world map to include the data base for access.  after several posts to the smartsheet forums and community board it appears no one wants to enhance the map feature to allow for multiple pins @ same criteria

Is my digital existence so fluid only because I have no friends or significant social presence? That's either really sad or really sweet. Well. It's all thumbs up emoticons for me. Except for the rim at shipe park, who has been a real bitch to me this summer. I'll call you baby I swear.

EDIT:@Architecture lives closest to me. Threat?

I'm in a real shitty mood tonight. I was supposed to hear back about my job interview this week, but it looks like I won't hear back until Monday at least. Maybe I'm just overthinking it but I don't think I've got the job. And since my lease runs out this month and I'm unemployed, I'm going to have to move back in with my mum, and there are so many reasons I don't want to do that. For one thing I'm 25 and I can't stand living with other people. Now I'm going to have to move back to the countryside where there's nothing to do and I have no friends, and no local job opportunities. And I'm moving away from a girl I just met that for once I had a real connection with. But most of all I just feel like a fucking failure because after all this time I apparently can't exist on my own and I don't know how I'm going to crawl out of this hole.

In my new position, I'm part of a hiring team, so I can say with confidence -- don't take them missing a "we'll call you by..." deadline personally. Places are busy, and hiring new people is secondary to keeping the place running. I personally dropped the ball on scheduling a second interview with someone because I was just overwhelmed that week, and they were the candidate that ended up getting hired.

It's a small comfort, but take it for what it is.

Not if you're as bad a guy as you say you are. You can take him.

80's bad guys are just misunderstood. And usually have terrible fathers.

Also, it feels weird to have a new username after 10 years. But sometimes you gotta flush the past and start over.

In my new position, I'm part of a hiring team, so I can say with confidence -- don't take them missing a "we'll call you by..." deadline personally. Places are busy, and hiring new people is secondary to keeping the place running. I personally dropped the ball on scheduling a second interview with someone because I was just overwhelmed that week, and they were the candidate that ended up getting hired.

It's a small comfort, but take it for what it is.

i am in a position to hire & probably fire someone(s) in the next few week/months as larger projects close out - i am fairly anxious about both aspects since one means a lot of training for me - the second is going to be a releasing a long time co-worker & acquaintance(s)

I was supposed to get an ad up on our few hiring sources last week but have been dragging my feet with all the other work / deadlines going on.  So the comment about work first & hiring second is very true.  I really hate messing with people's lives on both the hire/fire end; but in the end the business is supporting 100 other people and they need to come first VS making sure i get someone in for a quick interview/follow up OR removing a toxic - but manageable employee(s)

Recently bought a PS 4 that came with the new Batman--only PS4 available at Best, sadly--and man, modifying and customizing my PS has taken over my free time.

I'm now able to stream movies from my computer through my PS4 and going to try to do it with my games too.

Spent 10 years working overnights, 5 years at my current place, finally got promoted to a managerial position, weekend overnight person quit and I'm back to 2/5ths of the week on overnights.

On top of that, I've either got to get 2 seemingly hopeless staffers on track or fire one of them. One is pregnant and terrible at the job. One is bipolar (diagnosed) and decent at half of the job. I don't want to fire either of them. But I'm not entirely sure how to make either of them better. It's a customer service job. The pregnant woman (who has other things going on) comes off as very rude to customers, and the bipolar woman (who comes off great but nervous to customers) has a good attitude but also often messes up the billing aspects of the job.

My gut instinct is just to try best to get both of them up to my standards, but with weekly customer service reports to grapple with, I'm not sure how viable that is.

I'm having a harder time sleeping at night now than I did when I had to sleep during the days.  

:/

If you've got any kind of advice, let me hear it.

Have you tried talking to your employees about these problems? That's a generally a good place to start. Also asking them if there's anything you can do as their manager to make their work experience better. They might ask for something you can't give them (more money), but sometimes having that conversation is good just to let employees know you care.

I had a customer service job and it can be really soul crushing, especially if you have managers who only care about metrics and not employees.

Have you tried talking to your employees about these problems? That's a generally a good place to start. Also asking them if there's anything you can do as their manager to make their work experience better. They might ask for something you can't give them (more money), but sometimes having that conversation is good just to let employees know you care.

I had a customer service job and it can be really soul crushing, especially if you have managers who only care about metrics and not employees.

I think I probably needed to hear that. Thank you for saying it.

I'm nervous as hell to have to bring this shit up face to face, but I'll feel better about it than I would were it a chopping block. 

Yeah, better to talk in advance and let them know that something is wrong then to just drop the hammer out of nowhere later.

Spent 10 years working overnights, 5 years at my current place, finally got promoted to a managerial position, weekend overnight person quit and I'm back to 2/5ths of the week on overnights.

On top of that, I've either got to get 2 seemingly hopeless staffers on track or fire one of them. One is pregnant and terrible at the job. One is bipolar (diagnosed) and decent at half of the job. I don't want to fire either of them. But I'm not entirely sure how to make either of them better. It's a customer service job. The pregnant woman (who has other things going on) comes off as very rude to customers, and the bipolar woman (who comes off great but nervous to customers) has a good attitude but also often messes up the billing aspects of the job.

My gut instinct is just to try best to get both of them up to my standards, but with weekly customer service reports to grapple with, I'm not sure how viable that is.

I'm having a harder time sleeping at night now than I did when I had to sleep during the days.  

:/

If you've got any kind of advice, let me hear it.

My experience is that the technical aspects of the job can generally be trained, where a good attitude and good customer service are harder to find.

My daughter started first grade today. Based on idle chatter we've heard from other parents and our own observations, it looks like our daughter has the "mean" teacher this year. She started off by immediately yelling at some of the kids because they took their backpacks off and then shut the classroom door in the face of several parents who were waiting to give her bags of classroom supplies (which we are obligated to bring because school funding has been cut to the point where parents are expected to donate all of the necessary classroom supplies or the teacher has to buy them out of their own pocket).

I understand being a teacher, especially in Arizona, must be frustrating as hell and kids can be a real pain in the ass. It just bums me out that some teachers can't keep their shit together and end up so jaded and mean. It totally fucks up the education experience and teaches kids to hate school from an early age. 

I understand being a teacher, especially in Arizona, must be frustrating as hell and kids can be a real pain in the ass. It just bums me out that some teachers can't keep their shit together and end up so jaded and mean. It totally fucks up the education experience and teaches kids to hate school from an early age. 

I'm not a teacher (and I know some thumbs are, so take what I say with a bucket of salt), but I know a lot of them. Many of my good friends are/were teachers in both primary (elementary?) and secondary (high school) education. A really common tactic to get respect from children is to be as harsh and mean as possible for a month or two, then dial it back once the class learns to behave. 

I've heard that it's a very old strategy, but that it's also incredibly effective at maintaining classroom order through out the year and allowing yourself to relax a couple of months later.

Edit: I just thought I should add, that many of my favourite teachers used this method when I look back. 

I'm already worried about school for my little guy.

WawvGCO.jpg
itGFIzR.jpg
kALdj2y.jpg

I can't believe it's already been a week since he showed up. It's such a blur.

Most of it was spent in the hospital, because he came via c-section, so we stuck around during my wife's recovery. We got so many hot tips'n'tricks from the nurses and doctors; I can't imagine going home right away. I heard that in some places, like the UK, new moms and kids go home like the next day. Yikes!

I pretty much deal with poop all day and night, while my wife has been reduced to a shambling milk dispenser. But goddamn, it's the best. We love him so damn much already.

I'm already worried about school for my little guy.

WawvGCO.jpg

Where am I?!?! 

Father, Mother, take me, for I have seen too much!

Joking aside, what a beautiful boy. Congrats.

I heard that in some places, like the UK, new moms and kids go home like the next day. Yikes!

Congrats! A lovely babby :)

In the Netherlands, you go home as soon as you can move (or just deliver at home in the first place) - but the trick is that then a nurse comes and helps around the house for at least a week. The idea is that being at home is better for everyone involved.