gdf

Life

I'm lucky in that I graduated two months ago with a bachelor's in journalism and immediately was able to secure a job immediately out of college in my field. I work at a small-town newspaper (one that thankfully is still thriving) and I'm really beginning to come into my own, I think.

One dark spot is I'm not as healthy as I'd like to be. I'm trying to take some steps (mainly, I'm beginning to get into cycling) to get more fit, so I hope it works!

I'm lucky in that I graduated two months ago with a bachelor's in journalism and immediately was able to secure a job immediately out of college in my field. I work at a small-town newspaper (one that thankfully is still thriving) and I'm really beginning to come into my own, I think.

One dark spot is I'm not as healthy as I'd like to be. I'm trying to take some steps (mainly, I'm beginning to get into cycling) to get more fit, so I hope it works!

Congratulation!

I've spent the last two months working this summer internship, and just finished my first project this past weekend. The code we deployed was mostly mine, and I was terrified that everything would break, even after the extensive testing we did. It all ended up going smoothly, so I'm feeling pretty good.

I'm starting up a new project for my last month on the job. I didn't think I'd be able to adjust to working 8 hours a day in an office, but now that I'm in the groove, it'll  be weird to go back to school at the end of August. There's also a possibility that my manager will extend an offer to me to work part-time throughout the Fall/Spring semesters, which would be fantastic, but it's all kind of up in the air at the moment. 

From what I still know about the newspaper industry, being at a small newspaper is going to be much better than many larger newspapers.  I was in and out of journalism for years before finally being done for good, but all the people I know who are still working and happy with their jobs are at smaller outlets.

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up. She has a cool collection of dog paintings and hot dog dog paintings. She also loves ketchup. I had an idea that I could get an illustration or a painting of ketchup/ketchup & mustard for her. Besides Etsy, where are places I could look for something like that? Online as well as general suggestions for in-person welcome.

Tegan! (Who i forgot to get back to about something i wanted)

I got married on Friday at the Office of the City Clerk!

And today my new wife is in a delivery room at Lenox Hill, waiting for our son to be born.

I'm running errands since he's arriving ahead of schedule and we hadn't put together our shit. Time to grab some chargers and clean underwear!

Oh wow, congrats! Sounds like you're on a tight schedule, hope it all goes well!

Congrats on the babby, hope it's formed well. Kiss your nights (and days) goodbye for the foreseeable future.

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up. She has a cool collection of dog paintings and hot dog dog paintings. She also loves ketchup. I had an idea that I could get an illustration or a painting of ketchup/ketchup & mustard for her. Besides Etsy, where are places I could look for something like that? Online as well as general suggestions for in-person welcome.

Go ahead and talk to tegan first if you like. If you end up needing someone I am a painter.

Go ahead and talk to tegan first if you like. If you end up needing someone I am a painter.

This is kind of exciting. I hadn't even considered the possibility of commissioning an artist.

I took some (totally inconspicuous, no really) pictures of the art she has hanging. She loves, loves ketchup. She was wearing an apron that was talking about ketchup while we made dinner. Condiments seem appropriate for an addition to these.

Yliy3gU.jpg

kNjZOrn.jpg

About a month ago, I had a job interview with Sears. They told me almost immediately that I got the job, then spent weeks waiting to get back to me about when I'd start training. I finally started just last week, and just this morning I got fired before even working a single shift. Apparently I didn't ask enough questions during training and decided that I "have no personality."

I have some suspicions that they might have looked at my medical records and fired me based on my sexuality or clinical depression, but obviously that's just speculation.

It took me months to find this job and I was counting on it to get me out of debt. The only income I have now is from my Patreon. I'm way behind on my rent and bills and I don't know how to explain this to my landlady. I just wanna cry.

Tegan it's great to have you back in the forums; we missed you!  It's a shame about the job, though from their delay in getting back to you it sounds like it would be a disorganized place to stick around.

I have some suspicions that they might have looked at my medical records and fired me based on my sexuality or clinical depression, but obviously that's just speculation.

Whoa, are companies legally allowed to look this up?

So, today I told my boss that I'm resigning in a couple months. My wife and I have decided to move to San Antonio to live with her mom, who is going through a divorce and would likely lose her house if she didn't have any help paying the mortgage. Despite moving back in with family, this feels like a massive change for me because when I first moved to Jacksonville where I'm living now, my then girlfriend was already setup here and everything was just as simple as moving my paltry sum of furniture and belongings in with her. Then, I got my job by volunteering at her work and taking her position when she moved up. Even since then, my subsequent promotion was mostly just a matter of luck.

I'm looking at probably the most uncertain future I have ever seen. I still haven't finished my bachelor's, but I've spent a long time here in Florida (I started it in Florida, just another city) and not gone back to school yet so it doesn't seem like a priority for me. I'll need to be looking for a job that might just end up being entry level, but I need to pay bills that I've become accustomed to after getting this better paying, not-quite-entry level job.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not a terribly motivated person. I should feel the need to learn something, or get into some kind of craft, instead of being static in my career and finding myself moving to a city with no real idea of what I should be applying for. On the whole, I'm excited about moving because I'm damn tired of this stupid state but man if I'm not nervous.

In the US looking at medical records is never legal without that persons consent.

Ah, I would hope so.

Seems like that wouldn't be allowed in Canada as well.

Jon Cole, I think San Antonio is a sort of cheap place to live, so there's that, but I don't know how that compares to Jacksonville.

Yeah, I think cost of living is pretty similar between Texas and Florida so I'm not ridiculously worried but I've not really been able to build up a real savings account so the idea of going any amount of time without employment and possibly not be able to pay bills is a bit nervewracking. I theoretically have two months to save, I guess I should get started. :(

I don't think lack of motivation is precisely it, your About Me page is impressive in terms of stuff you have motivated yourself to become competent at doing.

Hey, and doesn't a Cool Thumb live in San An already?