gdf

Life

My phone just deleted all of my text messages out of nowhere and I'm beyond devastated. The entire physical record of my current relationship, as well as a couple of previous ones, is just... gone, because of some glitchy SQL overflow that's been a known bug with Android since the very beginning. I have no words and I am humiliated at how much it has spoiled my day, maybe my week.

I use SMS Backup+. Works pretty well.

Life is okay I suppose. Finishing up my first class of grad school tonight and then going back to my parents' house for a few days, which is always stressful since I'm trans and not out to them. Moving into a new apartment with good pals on the 5th. Trying to get an internship at a substance abuse recovery program for trans ppl but I've been having a hell of a time trying to contact the person who runs it. Definitely in a transition period which is exciting but also kinda frustrating!!!!

I find it odd you guys save text messages, but it makes sense, like keeping letters. I think my phone deletes stuff after 30 days, never bothered to change it. I suppose I live in a strange world where I communicate with almost everyone through Facebook messaging instead of texting besides when my wife needs something, which logs your stuff until you delete it.

I don't actively save them, it's more like I'm just too lazy to delete them.

I don't actively save them, it's more like I'm just too lazy to delete them.

Same. I could be so much less diligent about stripping out podcasts and apps from my phone if I just deleted my dumb text messages from 2 years ago.

I don't actively delete my text messages, I just have my phone automatically delete all but the last 10 MMS and the last 100 SMS. I have a few conversations marked to save, but those are more just in case I need to prove something in court conversations than anything sentimental.

I figure if I ever need a backup, I'll just FOIA the NSA.

I find it odd you guys save text messages, but it makes sense, like keeping letters. I think my phone deletes stuff after 30 days, never bothered to change it. I suppose I live in a strange world where I communicate with almost everyone through Facebook messaging instead of texting besides when my wife needs something, which logs your stuff until you delete it.

Like I said, my current relationship and a couple of my current friends communicate almost entirely via text. I don't think any of them have ever called or emailed me, actually. Until a couple of years ago, I deleted text messages after I read them, but having met some of these people and given my nose for "information" that needs to be "archived" or at least "preserved" in some way, I began hoarding them. If I knew about the Android (and before Android, Blackberry) bug that made it increasingly likely for your entire text message database to be corrupted (and hence overwritten, since there's no recovery protocol for that database) with every message you don't delete, I probably would have engaged in more active pruning, but as it stood at the time, I saw no reason not to keep everything, especially since there's a really robust search function in my text messaging app that benefits from having months of texts saved up.

I don't think you should drink that.

-

I had the same thought, texts to me a this throw away thing usually consisting of "OK" "I'll be there in 5 mins" or "I'm hungry" but if all my emails got deleted, I'd probably feel pretty shitty.

I have a handful of people with whom I have some far more substantive texts, though yeah, easily 90 percent of my texts would just be throwaway stuff.

I shudder to think of how stupid my text message history probably looks. Especially considering I usually refer to my wife by her nickname, Boris.

My phone basically has constant Internet so I basically talk to people on Facebook chat. I also had a long distance relationship online for years that's very extensively recorded on Facebook and Skype. I should probably try to get some sort of back up them. I'm also a programming nerd, I'm sure I could do some silly mess around data wrangling with it.

I am super excited about developments at work for me and it's keeping me awake, so I will rant about work for a minute!

So my job, among other things, is providing administrative support to groups of doctors who make guidelines for the hospital. They go through studies, talk things out, and decide what the best practices are for treatment of certain populations -- like what the best practices are for treating diabetes and its complications, taking into consideration the best practices set by other committees for comorbid diseases.

I had a meeting today where we were talking about how to divvy up the work because I'm being brought in full time instead of being a part time/temp employee, and technically being given a promotion on top of that. During it, the Big Boss Man called in to touch base about some things. He expressed that he wanted to start a group focusing on trans health issues, and said some really flattering things about how much he would like for my voice to be heard in that group based on a conversation that we had earlier this week. So, I'm going to be working with him on starting up a committee to talk about how the hospital can better serve trans communities. This is a very big deal to me because that's something that I care a lot about.

So basically, I stumbled into a job that's going to pay more than I've ever made (NOT HARD HAAAAAAH), has a real impact on people's lives, and where I work with people who I enjoy being around and who make me feel valued. It still doesn't feel like a real thing that's happening. It's just too good.

Also the guy I've been seeing's parents finally left town this week. They've been in town and staying with him since the 4th, and our time together has been limited -- very understandable when your parents come across an ocean to visit you. So we're spending a lot of the weekend together! I am very excited about that too.

This is a very good week for me.

Maybe now I can get to sleep since I got all this out.

Mangela, that sounds like an absolutely wonderful week and overall turn of events for you.  Congrats!

Session went well. Thanks for the supportive replies folks :)

Awesome to hear!

I got promoted to a managerial position at work after 5 years! So that's exciting but I'm also kind of dreading and anxious about all of the additional responsibility. And I'm inheriting a bit of a troubled staff. I'm really just a bundle of nerves at this point.

Ive spent about the past month of my life riding my bicycle across the country with 31 other people in a program that raises money and awareness for affordable housing. It's been truly an incredible experience that has taught me I'm capable of more mentally and physically than I thought.

Yesterday the unthinkable happened and one of our groups leaders was lost in a car accident. He was an incredibly kind, selfless person who had devoted his life to working as a teacher for inner city children. I'm having a lot of trouble making sense of this right now. Grief isn't something I've gone through before, I've never lost someone close to me. I don't post in these forums much, but I frequently read through them. This has probably been the most difficult day of my life

Yesterday the unthinkable happened and one of our groups leaders was lost in a car accident. He was an incredibly kind, selfless person who had devoted his life to working as a teacher for inner city children. I'm having a lot of trouble making sense of this right now. Grief isn't something I've gone through before, I've never lost someone close to me. I don't post in these forums much, but I frequently read through them. This has probably been the most difficult day of my life

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you have to go through this kind of trauma. Are you still with the people you've been doing this trip with? If you are, don't be afraid to turn to them for support. The kind of support that you all can provide each other will be invaluable in coping with a tragedy like this.

Gormante, I'm sorry man, that's terrible.  And yeah, as Mangela said, don't be afraid to turn to those around you for support. 

So sorry to hear Gormanate, it sounds like you and this gentleman were doing something rather incredible together, and I'm sure his memory will live on through you and the rest of the group.

Yeah i feel so lucky to be around 29 other incredible people who are all going through the same experience. It would be tremendously more difficult without them. Thanks for the kind words

I actually read about this earlier in the morning on Reddit and couldn't have guessed in a million years that a Thumb was close to the center of it. My deepest sympathies, gormanate.

Wow, I'm really sorry.

The world seems worse off without him.

Ive spent about the past month of my life riding my bicycle across the country with 31 other people in a program that raises money and awareness for affordable housing. It's been truly an incredible experience that has taught me I'm capable of more mentally and physically than I thought.

That's awful. Sudden deaths like this are impossible to make sense of. I've had two uncles who died in car accidents and it was devastating both times. My only advice is to surround yourself with people you love, support each other through the grief and remind yourselves of what made him the amazing person he was.

My phone basically has constant Internet so I basically talk to people on Facebook chat. I also had a long distance relationship online for years that's very extensively recorded on Facebook and Skype. I should probably try to get some sort of back up them. I'm also a programming nerd, I'm sure I could do some silly mess around data wrangling with it.

Facebook has your messages everywhere and will sync them, and Skype automatically makes a log of everything on Desktop, not sure about phones or tablets.

Also congratulations Mangela, and sorry to hear about that gormante, just reading a news post now. Can't believe it was just because the driver was busy looking at her phone. Christ.

The entire state of California is on fire again.  I live in the north end of the state, in the mountains outside of Redding, and my wife teaches at an elementary school in a tiny mountain town that is at this moment bracketed by two huge fire systems.  We're in no danger (we live an hour away, and are currently upwind of the fires) but we've heard reports that the county fairgrounds have burned down, and the one gas station there is completely out of gasoline, which is hampering evacuation efforts.

A storm system blew in yesterday and started a bunch of fires, thanks to 200+ ground strikes from lightning.  The clouds rolled in but the temperature didn't drop, so we just have this hot wet angry stupid blanket that's dropping matches all over our goddamned tinderbox of a county.  And more are expected tonight, so that's fun.