gdf

Life

A few things:

- I'm excited about the mini-thumbs meet-up this Saturday at Davis!!

- My med, Gabapentin, is slowly not working and making me horribly constipated; also, it's making me really angry--which, I'm glad I've learned how to control and regulate--and making me think of killing myself--don't worry, i''m not, another thing I've learned to control and regulate. It's also making me moody.

Now the anger and moody I can handle, but having suicidal thoughts after a couple years of not having them is raising big red flags. So, I'm slowly weaning myself of it and I have a meeting with my pysch on the 30th; I plan of bring these things up and hoping to move to other meds and alt-ways of dealing with these things.

I've always been an emotional person, which, has made me very empathetic and sympathetic towards other people. There is a cost though: it wears me out mentally and emotionally, but I've grow strong enough to deal with it and when to move out, but there are times where I'm worn out. I'm hoping to get better control through these medications and alt-ways.

I've also started taking symptom management classes to find healthier ways of expressing and dealing with my shit.

-I'm almost done writing my tour for my job!!! I can't wait to start giving tours at the state capital. I really love my new job and I hope to get further into parks & recs. I'm thinking about being a park ranger...

-Life is pretty good right now and I can't complain too much.

Life is good because I've made it good and had some good fortune befall on me, but mostly me. I'm a lot more mindful and resilient than I've ever been and I see it only getting better. I enjoy getting older: as I've gotten older, life has gotten better and I've grown more stronger and beautiful than ever. All those years of depression and suicide and multiple, horrible nervous breakdowns and social anxiety has made me fucking strong; not only strong, but has made me make moves from moving from an introvert to an extrovert: I've become a goddamn social butterfly--tho, still a bit socially awkward.

My mom has always had a troubled relationship with my sexuality. She's told me multiple times that she no longer wants anything to do with me -- the most recent being the day Obergefell was handed down. A regular piece of our conversational diet has been her asking me if I've found a nice girl yet, followed by me sighing deeply and sitting in silence until she asks another question or hangs up the phone. Basically, she's been very clear that she wants a son, she just doesn't want a gay son.

But I'm home visiting family for my birthday (which I guess is today since it's after midnight, yay me) and, for the first time, she asked me if I had a boyfriend in a genuinely interested and supportive way. We talked about the guy I've been seeing and she gave me well considered advice about my unique situation.

I have no idea how to react to this, but I like it!

Nice. :)

Happy birthday, also.

It's my birthday in a couple of days and I'm struggling with the desire to either ignore it or do something with it. I've been feeling pretty low lately, so I imagine being around others would be healthy, but that same feeling kinda just makes me want to stay at home and forget about the whole thing.

I love how polite your disagreement is Mangela. Happy birthday to both of you. My birthday last weekend was on the same day as my buddies wedding, so it was great fun^^ I generally don't do anything, i ended up having a 30th birthday because my mother threatened to organize something if i didn't!

Happy births day! Got one of those coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm sure it'll be just the bees knees.

Mangela I'd say do your best to accept the interest as genuine! If you really have to know, ask gently about the change in attitude?

Because my birthday is in July, I never got to have the elementary school mom-brings-in-cupcakes birthday party.

As an adult I decided, I'm an adult dammit, I'm going to have a cupcake birthday party like a little kid. I went to the specialty cupcake shop and bought two dozen fancy cuppin' cakes and brought them to work to share with the team. It was awesome, big hit with everyone. There was some awkwardness in the shop. The pleasant shop girl asking me "Is this for a birthday?" 'Yep!' "Do you want us to decorate them with birthday stuff? We can put little name flags on them." '... N... no that's ok just as they are is great.'

My birthday is in the middle of March, and so I think almost every year it fell during Spring Break.  So no in class parties, but it was pretty awesome in college for every spring break to feel like a birthday gift to me.

Also, happy birthday (and pre-birthday) to the July birthed!

Because my birthday is in July, I never got to have the elementary school mom-brings-in-cupcakes birthday party.

Seconded. My parents also didn't want to have to chaperone a bunch of kids so I never had a birthday party with favors or anything. My grandparents & aunt & uncle & cousins would come over, but I never got to invite my friends.

Last weekend I had a pool party at our apartment complex. (We didn't swim, but we did drink a lot next to the pool and eat BBQ sandwiches) It was the best.

I was generally grateful that my birthday was in the summer holidays. Seeing people who had to go to school on their birthday was saddening, even if they were treated as a little special that day.

That said, I only really remember having two big birthday parties as a kid. In one my friends and I were taken to Laser Quest (which is like Quasar, laser tag, whatever), and in the other my mum rented out the local pool and we had lots of weird floats. I honestly don't remember much of either now, but I get the feeling they were pretty good.

I have to agree with dibs and jennegatron on this.

on the topic of birth

my future spawn (now known to be a son) is rapidly approaching and due Oct 6.  A lot of people keep saying "OH! new years baby..." and then i need to count off the months on my hand to prove how to count months and how the passage of time works.  

I am very excited about our upcoming child...just not excited to talk to others about it.  in turn, i come across unexcited and disinterested which is setting the stage for future "helpful hints" and parenting judgment

Also, its got my ass into gear to finally finish doing stuff around the house.  finally painted the last bedroom, changed all the light fixtures, built some furniture, and epoxy'd the garage floor.  Its amazing how much stuff gets done on the weekends when i skip dota in the morning & splatoon in the afternoon.  

There is one last light fixture that i am excited/nervous about changing.  i need to figure out how to steady my ladder and it'll be pretty easy.  what im afraid of is if i need a second ladder in an A config on the extension with boards back to the stairs (on another ladder).  then i'll be pretty high -  Ref: this excellent configuration

post-33948-0-22329600-1437365795_thumb.jpg

on the topic of birth

my future spawn (now known to be a son) is rapidly approaching and due Oct 6.  A lot of people keep saying "OH! new years baby..." and then i need to count off the months on my hand to prove how to count months and how the passage of time works.  

Maybe they're Jewish? Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, is September 15 this year, so October 6 would still be kind of the New Year.

I'm reaching here.

on the topic of birth

my future spawn (now known to be a son) is rapidly approaching and due Oct 6. A lot of people keep saying "OH! new years baby..." and then i need to count off the months on my hand to prove how to count months and how the passage of time works.

I am very excited about our upcoming child...just not excited to talk to others about it. in turn, i come across unexcited and disinterested which is setting the stage for future "helpful hints" and parenting judgment

Congratulations! I know from personal experience that being born on Oct. 6th is great!

Congratulations! I was extremely happy to read this book when I got my first. A lot of common sense, but also a lot of somewhat counter-intuitive things, mostly backed by research.

Maybe they're Jewish? Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, is September 15 this year, so October 6 would still be kind of the New Year.

I'm reaching here.

I think they mean the baby was *conceived* around New Years. 9 months from January is October.. :P

Oh. I am dumb.

Anyway, mazel tov, undermind!

Becoming parents always seems like a chance for other people to make way too familiar comments about your interior life as if it's public domain, and also give you unasked for suggestions because now you share something in common with them. 

Least, from my outsiders perspective. 

thank you everyone for well wishes.  As mentioned dozens of time, this board is full of great people that support one another, and im glad to be involved - I am pretty sure it'll be an outlet for me one day soon for the overwhelming panic or pride of being a new parent

I think they mean the baby was *conceived* around New Years. 9 months from January is October.. :P

if conceived on New Years have to count the full month of January so kid ends up being born Sept 1 by conventional month count - Mid September by gestational full term.  Or i could be putting my foot deeper into my mouth - lets go with that  :partyhat:

Either way, I don't like talking about myself and this is creating more anxiety the more my wife shows.  She is similar in personality - and now strangers on the street/in stores are creepily approaching asking details (due date, gender, names, etc).  

She's got it even worse with people's weird desire to touch her stomach (not the in-store strangers, but someone at a BBQ or other event where we have some association) It is all very weird to me, if I came up to someone to touch their stomach I'd be missing teeth

I spent most of my weekend working outside in the hot, humid weather.  I must have taken half a dozen showers to prevent myself from getting heat stroke.  Now I'm tired and sore, which in retrospect was probably a huge mistake as I have an extremely busy week ahead of me at work.