gdf

Life

How long did it take you to get full time? Was it a temp to hire position when you started it?

Temp-to-hire, and I was here a year before they hired me. 

On the way to my first night shift of this outage, I got a call while I was still in the car that there was a problem.  I was about 10 minutes away from the plant.  Luckily, it turned out to not be a big deal but still, not a good start.

My Nexus 4 finally died today.  I won't turn on at all.  It's been acting up a lot for the past few months and I planned to get a new one soon anyway so it's not all bad.  Went out today and got a Galaxy S6.  Now to spend the next few hours setting it up and downloading all my apps again.

Today I handed in the first draft of my dissertation. I'm not done with university until my final hand-ins next week and I have plenty more to do before then, but fuck me. It feels like I'm actually going to make it. I haven't had the best time here and I'm repeating my final year, but I can fucking see the finish line! A week from now I'll be finished and then I can do whatever I want.

Just saw my coworkers for the last time. I clumsily put together a "let's go to Denny's one more time!" event, and it was a success. Everyone had a good time and it was what I was concerned with most.

The whole night I wasn't feeling bummed out or anything. It wasn't until I got onto Twitter, IRC, etc that I started to well up a bit, just mentioning to online-folks about it.

I call my coworkers "kids," because I've got at least 10 years in age on a lot of them. Over my time with them I worked myself into a position of always giving advice, but also lecturing (fairly) to them about things they shouldn't have done and why. And like... they listen. And that's such a strange feeling to be taken with that sort of regard.

I'm gonna miss them a lot. I came to work at this place just needing a pay check, against the idea of making friends on the job, and I'm walking away from it (moving on with my life) hurting. Feh. Stupid human emotions.

Just celebrated King's Day. My 500-persion village went all out on the decorative wagons.

Hi3ErW1.jpg

IzHHIkM.jpg

I didn't add that much, except making glowing LED eyes for the jute jawas that were posted all down our street. Got some compliments for that. We'll be more settled & able to contribute next time I feel.

I'm gonna miss them a lot. I came to work at this place just needing a pay check, against the idea of making friends on the job, and I'm walking away from it (moving on with my life) hurting. Feh. Stupid human emotions.

Funny how it can sneak up on you like that. I haven't really enjoyed a job for a while, but I definitely remember one in particular that I didn't really have any long-range goals for at first, but when I left I realised how much the people and the work had come to mean to me.

Still, moving on with your life is good! Look forwards and you can still enjoy your memories. It being over is not the same as it having never happened, and I'm sure many of your coworkers will remember you as fondly as you do them.

I was the same leaving my last job, they gave me a really nice card that everyone had signed and i suddenly got upset. Job was a dead end though, so had to be done! A sweet flinstones ride would have sorted me out quick though.

A sweet Flintstone's ride will make anything better (and seriously, those wagons are awesome).

I have someone screaming at me on eBay about how they're going to sue me over a $1.85 part because they had to have their repair person out twice, and they're going to file a report on eBay, and I'm never doing business on that site again, and blah, blah, blah.  Wheeeeeee!  I've done a bunch of business on eBay over the years, and honestly the number of deranged asshats has dropped considerably.  Kinda makes me nostalgic for the old days, when I used to get people incoherently ranting at me on a monthly basis. 

I just signed a contract to make art for a print or prints of official Star Trek stuff to be sold in various places. I could make zero money but I'm excited to make something official. Also I don't know anything about Star Trek. I hope I don't screw this up...

Oh awesome! Well done SG! I hope I get to point at said prints some day and say 'I know the guy who made that... Kinda'. How come there's no money involved? Are you not paid per print or something?

Just celebrated King's Day. My 500-persion village went all out on the decorative wagons.

What is King's Day? It looks like a lot of fun!

I just signed a contract to make art for a print or prints of official Star Trek stuff to be sold in various places. I could make zero money but I'm excited to make something official. Also I don't know anything about Star Trek. I hope I don't screw this up...

If you wanna learn about Star Trek, have I got the thread for you.  Also congrats!

Oh cool. So kinda like the Jubilee?

I'm still miffed that it's no longer Queen's day, but all good things must end.

I have the same pre-emptive feeling for when the british national anthem changes from Queen to King. I mean, it has to be soon right?

Oh cool. So kinda like the Jubilee?

Kind of yeah, except annual and therefore a smaller deal.

I have the same pre-emptive feeling for when the british national anthem changes from Queen to King. I mean, it has to be soon right?

As a dual Brit/Dutchie I get to feel this disappointment twice :/

No, no, it's "I'm Doctor Who".

I'm in a bit of a dark place* right now. I have a long-term project over the next five or six weeks to do, I'm supposed to be two weeks into it, and I've barely started. If I don't do it, I'm going to fail the course again. Doing it makes me feel like a failure because I'm bad at it, and making progress is like pulling teeth. I'm sure it's within my capabilities but I'm just terrible at doing anything that has the slightest bit of uncertainty attached to it, or anything that requires some kind of long-term commitment to see any results - for instance, the Wizard Jam. I'm not going to be happy if I'm not able to accomplish anything, but if I'm actually capable of doing it, it doesn't feel like an accomplishment. So I don't do anything.

(* written by Garth Marenghi)

Oh awesome! Well done SG! I hope I get to point at said prints some day and say 'I know the guy who made that... Kinda'. How come there's no money involved? Are you not paid per print or something?

Nah I would be paid per print but CBS takes a big chunk. I'm basically expecting to sell about 3 just to be realistic. But I'm happy to do it.

Might be worth asking the Trekkies on there for brillo in-jokes and easter eggs to sneak into your artwork.

Yeah I was thinking I might tap into that thread at some point especially if I do more than one. I definitely just want to do weird crap from the original series. I think they are all on Netflix should I need reference.

Most of my knowledge of Star Trek comes from Space Quest. Also previously that was most of my knowledge of Hitchhiker's Guide and various other Scifi things.

No, no, it's "I'm Doctor Who".

I'm in a bit of a dark place* right now. I have a long-term project over the next five or six weeks to do, I'm supposed to be two weeks into it, and I've barely started. If I don't do it, I'm going to fail the course again. Doing it makes me feel like a failure because I'm bad at it, and making progress is like pulling teeth. I'm sure it's within my capabilities but I'm just terrible at doing anything that has the slightest bit of uncertainty attached to it, or anything that requires some kind of long-term commitment to see any results - for instance, the Wizard Jam. I'm not going to be happy if I'm not able to accomplish anything, but if I'm actually capable of doing it, it doesn't feel like an accomplishment. So I don't do anything.

(* written by Garth Marenghi)

This sounds exactly like me. I sit down to work on something hard that's going to take a long period of commitment and it's like there's a lead weight on my chest. I'll poke around the edges and procrastinate and fuck around but not until the deadline is imminent can I feel the push I need to get through this feeling of paralysis. I never end up with anything I'm really happy with, usually its just barely enough, and it always just piles self loathing on me. It's something I've struggled with (to not much avail unfortunately) and I'm starting to appreciate how much it impacts my quality of life. I feel like it might be linked to anxiety, but I have no idea. 

It stops me from making games. It stops me from getting in shape. I stops me from doing my taxes on time. Hell, it stops me from playing Dota.

It's something I feel like I should deal with professionally, but I have absolutely no idea how to even start looking in to that... and when I try... you know. 

Man I wish there was an easy solution to that. I feel like I've been shortchanging myself my whole life with procrastination on projects that require any bit of creative thinking. I always leave this stupid amount of fucking around doing nothing in the beginning of a deadline or working on something else that is less important, then as a deadline approaches I start panicking until I coax myself into thinking I still have plenty of time. Then the week before I work extremely hard no sleep and feel delirious.

It seems like this has gotten worse with age. But I feel you Merus and sometimes wondering if this is just a very human thing to do or if it's just some people are too "weak" to just instantly jump at a long term task.

And the thing about it is, I don't have this procrastination problem with short tasks. I remember in middle school and high school I was really good at getting all of my homework almost done ASAP depending on free time between classes and lunch so I could go home and hang out with friends and do drugs (since I didn't play video games very much then). But that only worked with stuff that I could say had a solid beginning, middle, and end and therefore came quickly to me like math or physics homework. Research papers were simple for me, it was just rehashing stuff in MLA format which I guess every other student struggled with. But if it were any kind of critical or analytical paper needing my point of view or some kind of long form thing needed revisions and extensive sources I was just rushing to do it all like a few days before. I started doing the same with art/animation projects up to this day.

Well what'd you do that for, you goof.