gdf

Life

I thought I was over it, but now I'm crying at my computer because of this -

1ocXeEz.png

So, uh... how do you address them? I genuinely wouldn't know how to answer that question. Maybe this shows my shortcomings more than anything.

I totally missed this question, sorry!

I address them by what they identify as. MtF are ladies. FtM are guys. It's that easy. I mean, I think.

Oh jeeze I missed many pages of stuff related to something I wrote. I need to check this thing more often.

Anyway! Came to post originally,

Does anyone else work at a job (or has) where you're more of a leader for your coworkers than your boss is? I mean, not out of trying to take over, but just out of the necessity of problems coming up and solutions being needed? That's kind of happening at my job, and everyone is on board with me except for, well, the boss. And she's starting to show signs of resentment. Not by retaliation (because it would be too easy to nail her to the wall, metaphorically, and have her job). She's just gotten super passive aggressive with me and always tries to find flaws in things I do or nights I lead the team (officially or otherwise).

Oh jeeze I missed many pages of stuff related to something I wrote. I need to check this thing more often.

Anyway! Came to post originally,

Does anyone else work at a job (or has) where you're more of a leader for your coworkers than your boss is? I mean, not out of trying to take over, but just out of the necessity of problems coming up and solutions being needed? That's kind of happening at my job, and everyone is on board with me except for, well, the boss. And she's starting to show signs of resentment. Not by retaliation (because it would be too easy to nail her to the wall, metaphorically, and have her job). She's just gotten super passive aggressive with me and always tries to find flaws in things I do or nights I lead the team (officially or otherwise).

My wife is in this situation. Her boss (my old boss) is definitely more of a "director" than a supervisor, so she's much better suited to outreach and schmoozing than operations. My wife basically runs her department, despite the fact that she's not paid to be a manager and she has the exact same position as two other people in her department. The boss alternately thinks that my wife should basically just do everything until the exact moments where boss lady wants to intervene and show that she's actually in charge.

It's really shitty and the main reason I got out from under her at my earliest convenience. There's nothing quite as bothersome as a boss who's seemingly only capable of meddling.

There's a fairly sizable fire going on a few blocks away. I was out walking and didn't notice the huuuuge plume of smoke until I rounded the corner to my street. I thought it might have been my place at first, so it's good that it's not, but still. The whole area is covered in smoke. I can still smell it inside.

Glad it wasn't your place.

I stopped an electrical fire from starting this afternoon after smelling burnt plastic. So the house I live in didn't burn down, which is cool.

I just filed my 2014 taxes. I wonder how it is to be someone making actual money who dreads paying their taxes, rather than someone living on starvation wages who looks forward to tax refunds as a way to make it through the summer.

I've gotten a refund every year since I started filing my own taxes because of student loans.

...I'd rather just not have student loans, of course, since I haven't made a dent in them.

I spent several years as a (misclassified) 1099 contractor, which was always a lot of fun.  I never found it really worth it to actually file estimated taxes, so tax time every year was "that time I get to write a $9000 check to the US government".

This year was the first year I didn't have that contractor job on my taxes.  I still owed a little money, but this time it was $50 and not $9000.

I once made the mistake of registering for tax self assessment after doing a guest lecture at a university (The university lost my paperwork multiple times and never paid me). It was only after three years of filling in returns with zeroes that HMRC wrote to say they weren't going to send any more. A few months later, I got a final demand in the post for £0.00p

Hey S.A.M. hang in there, I don't know solutions, but I think it's noble you are helping out your parents even if it's not working out so well for you on top of everything else.

I once made the mistake of registering for tax self assessment after doing a guest lecture at a university (The university lost my paperwork multiple times and never paid me). It was only after three years of filling in returns with zeroes that HMRC wrote to say they weren't going to send any more. A few months later, I got a final demand in the post for £0.00p

Had a pretty similar experience. I was technically self-employed for about a year, and for at least four years afterwards the government kept sending me demands for self-employed National Insurance contributions. 

By the way, the fire yesterday turned out to be somebody's car. Nobody got hurt and there wasn't any damage except to the car and the siding of the houses next to it.

I just got a fine for mispayment of self assessed taxes i thought I'd fully sorted months back. I'm unsure if their right or not but right now i've no choice but to to both pay up (to avoid being charged interest) & launch a appeal simultaneously.

All this however leaves me precariously close to running on fumes now.

so I am going to GDC for this first time and I am freaking out 

I don't know if that's a good freaking out or bad freaking out. If bad, don't worry, everyone is super friendly, it's a really uplifting community of game devs enjoying being around other people like them. If good freak out, yah! GET HYPE BOYYEEEEEEE! GDC is awesome.

My head collided with a thick wooden window frame this morning but I barely didn't miss the bus but I did get a filthy look from the driver for making him open the doors again.

I'm on time to the first lab of the year. Some cruisey thing where I set up a VM and maybe fiddle with DOS on it.

But I feel shakey and have a slightly bleeding graze or something.

GDC sounds fun but Lost Levels definitely sounds like the best thing about it to me. Anyway you're lucky you can fret about going and don't live half a world away :P

moddy, please make sure you eat something and if you have any weird symptoms, go get yourself checked out if you can. Don't play around with a concussion! 

I appreciate the concern!

Well I tried to find a nurse but my campus removed the position from last year (supposedly with the understanding that a new doctor was setting up down the road but in the end that development turned into.. apartments .-. ).

The shakes were just adrenaline, I have a rather testy swollen bump on my head right now but I haven't noticed any weird symptoms. I kept on top of eating today and only felt tired around the normal times of my hot summer day.

On par with experiencing a surprising head injury we've had some potty trouble with our kitten. It's not his fault or anything we're pretty sure we've given him too much meat which his gut hasn't had much time to adjust to; plus he's like just over two months old which for me still feels early. But having to clean a big duvet in the heat wasn't my idea of a nice afternoon. >.<

In happier news my systems analysis and design course is set to be my favourite thing this semester.

Going solo at GDC this year and I'm kind of feeling weird. I have a job starting next week so I don't really have anything to promote and nobody from my hometown area to hang out with. I've got a small handful of friends in the general games community but I'm guessing it'll be a long awkward week and I'm already planning to spend a good amount of time in the park just scribbling design notes for future side projects.

Anyone else in this GDC boat? I'm down for a mini-meetup anytime and will definitely be at Lost Levels (and Wild Rumpus) tomorrow