gdf

Life

We have a huge HR department here, but I am not sure if I'd talk to them or my temp agency. But I'm afraid I'd get pulled off my job, which I DO enjoy and everyone leaves me alone for the most part. 

Hello everyone I hope you all have a good day!!

Kinda bringing the "I don't think I did anything wrong, sorry *you* were offended" game here, huh?

No. I said that I did something wrong and I apologised for it.

Seriously, just don't make jokes using gendered slurs, even if contextually it seems like you aren't crossing a boundary. You probably actually are, and there are plenty of other jokes waiting to be made that don't have the word bitch in them.

Seriously, just don't make jokes using gendered slurs, even if contextually it seems like you aren't crossing a boundary. You probably actually are, and there are plenty of other jokes waiting to be made that don't have the word bitch in them.

My joke didn't have the word bitch in it, but yeah it was tangentially related to it so I should have thought it through better.

We have a huge HR department here, but I am not sure if I'd talk to them or my temp agency. But I'm afraid I'd get pulled off my job, which I DO enjoy and everyone leaves me alone for the most part. 

My first thought would be their HR because it's their company environment, something your temp agency would not have control over.  But then again maybe having your agency say something to them would be the appropriate protocol.  How do you interface with them?  Do you do it through a supervisor who's part of your agency or do you report to someone there?

making evacuation maps is the most tedious and doubles as my least favorite part of my job.  Particularly maps for hotels, they require a map behind each door with a different "You Are Here" indicator, room # identified, and if multiple routes the optimal one used

This location has +/- 330 suites  :frusty:

I basically exist as employee of X Company but I get paid through the temp agency. So I think I'd address it to my temp agency and they'd go through the appropriate channels. All I'd be doing is making a complaint though. There's only a handful of us here though in this department so it'd be pretty easy to figure out who complained. 

I basically exist as employee of X Company but I get paid through the temp agency. So I think I'd address it to my temp agency and they'd go through the appropriate channels. All I'd be doing is making a complaint though. There's only a handful of us here though in this department so it'd be pretty easy to figure out who complained. 

The process for all the contractors that I've dealt with his to go through the temp agency HR, who will then communicate with the main company's HR. I can definitely understand why you'd be hesitant to report it though, especially if you really like your job. It sucks being a temp/contractor.

As as much as I hate sexism in the workplace, I also love being able to pay my rent. Welcome to being a feminist in late capitalism.

At least the fact that it's late capitalism means we're nearly in a total post scarcity economy, we'll have no problems then!

making evacuation maps is the most tedious and doubles as my least favorite part of my job.  Particularly maps for hotels, they require a map behind each door with a different "You Are Here" indicator, room # identified, and if multiple routes the optimal one used

This location has +/- 330 suites  :frusty:

Well, see it this way. At least the people who need to see those maps will be able to figure their way out if there's a problem!

You might be a lifesaver!

As someone who's said something about terrible culture and been removed from a temp job -- guess who also has very little to no legal recourse if they're fired for saying "No, it's not okay that you do X or let Y happen." (Hint: Contract employees)

It's shitty that you're in a situation where you just have to tolerate such dehumanizing and disrespectful nonsense. I'm sorry you have to put up with it because of things beyond your control.

Oh damn it. I was given The Secret by someone and am in the position of having to read it and then I guess tell them how I feel about it.

I don't want to hurt this persons feelings but I'm also reallly anti pseudoscience and not willing to pretend I like it. Usually I just don't comment on this stuff..

I wish I could give a perfect argument and convince this person to ditch the pseudo stuff. I personally think these sorts of beliefs only exacerbate personal problems and would love to see this person start assessing things without the faulty rule book.

But I don't think an argument would lead to anything, especially because i'm a layman with limited knowledge about scientific/research method. I think even if I presented a logical argument it would be torn down by "im right and you're wrong" type arguments (though I could be wrong).
Arghhh I hate this feeling.

Maybe it would be effective to try and take the route of explaining how positivity is an effective force for your own outlook and perception of the world, as well as a motivator and affecting your overall emotions.

And then just clarify that it doesn't affect the physical world at all, even though the Secret itself directly makes that claim quite explicitly.

It kinda depends on the person if that will really work (ie. They could be super insistent on the whole thing or they might just focus on you semi-saying it works) but it might be a way to bridge the gap of offering a reason why it feels like an effective philosophy despite the obvious failings of it.

Well, see it this way. At least the people who need to see those maps will be able to figure their way out if there's a problem!

You might be a lifesaver!

They didn't know if it should be portrait or landscape orientation, so now its a next week project. I did start making a custom font for Newark airport so that's something useful

Maybe it would be effective to try and take the route of explaining how positivity is an effective force for your own outlook and perception of the world, as well as a motivator and affecting your overall emotions.

And then just clarify that it doesn't affect the physical world at all, even though the Secret itself directly makes that claim quite explicitly.

It kinda depends on the person if that will really work (ie. They could be super insistent on the whole thing or they might just focus on you semi-saying it works) but it might be a way to bridge the gap of offering a reason why it feels like an effective philosophy despite the obvious failings of it.

Yeah that way of approaching it could work. I think they might be more comfortable if i'm not outright shooting it down too. Thanks.

I wish I could give a perfect argument and convince this person to ditch the pseudo stuff. I personally think these sorts of beliefs only exacerbate personal problems and would love to see this person start assessing things without the faulty rule book.

Here's the trick with The Secret: it's partly confirmation bias and partly positive thinking and the importance of framing, so it's probably easier to try and focus their attention on the parts of it that are actually valuable. The human brain interprets stimuli based on its own internal state, and can be easily misled by deliberately setting out to change the way one looks at a situation. If you have a positive mindset, are looking for opportunities and have decided a goal is within your grasp, you're more likely to see opportunities that exist that you'd otherwise ignore.

This is, in fact, why the scientific method exists in the first place - we need a frame that encourages us to look at the facts before we draw a conclusion from them, which we're not normally inclined to do.

So I started a diet two weeks ago. Instead of eating certain kinds of foods or following a meal plan, instead I'm counting kilojoules. I have a daily target, which shifts every week based on how many kilojoules my metabolism is burning, and basically I can eat anything so long as I know how many kilojoules are in it and therefore how many kilojoules I have left for the day. I don't have to deny myself chocolate or chips or a hamburger, I just have to ensure that I'm not going to eat my entire allowance of kJ in one meal, and if I am, I need to be bloody sure it's going to be worth it. Been having a lot of salads (protip: salads without dressing are just raw vegetables in a bowl. A good dressing ties it all together.)

I've lost 4kg in two weeks. Part of this was because I stayed with my parents in the last two weeks and Mum's desperately trying to get under 60kg again, but part of it is just trying to avoid sources of kJ that I might have previously not worried about, like chips.

Does anyone care about award shows? I just learned that Led Zepplin won a Grammy for Best Rock Album last year. What in every hell? I listen to an awful lot of rock. Is no one actually putting out albums?

I also learned from Merus' post that people measure food energy in something other than calories! Neat!

kJ is actually the standard unit of food energy, but I feel like a vast majority of the world uses calories. Both are metric measures though, which beats the heck out of Imperial garbage units.

I once tried to do a calorie counting thing, but I found it too laborious to calculate for food I make myself (it's clearly much easier for prepared or packaged foods). Is there a quick way to do it or do you just have to calculate it ingredient by ingredient?

I just learned that Led Zepplin won a Grammy for Best Rock Album last year. What in every hell? 

Hey now I liked the latest Led Zep album a lot. I can't think of any other rock album This year that I listened to.

kJ is actually the standard unit of food energy, but I feel like a vast majority of the world uses calories. Both are metric measures though, which beats the heck out of Imperial garbage units.

I once tried to do a calorie counting thing, but I found it too laborious to calculate for food I make myself (it's clearly much easier for prepared or packaged foods). Is there a quick way to do it or do you just have to calculate it ingredient by ingredient?

It's definitely a pain in the ass when not buying pre-made food, but MyFitnessPal in particular has a very strong database of stuff that makes it easy to find approximations. For example, if I go to some random chicken joint in town I can just look up stuff from another chicken joint. It's best to be very strict about counting everything precisely for a week or two, but beyond that you should get an idea for how to do approximations with a reasonable level of accuracy.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's impossible to be 100% accurate no matter what you do. For starters, unless you're a madman you can't precisely account for every bit of energy you burn every day, and this will vary for all kinds of reasons. As such, don't get too caught up on not getting the calories quite right — and if it really bothers you, just overestimate so you know you won't end up eating too much. Geting too obsessed with the tracking has made me more likely to give it up 'because I can figure it out in my head' (yeah right).

I've been counting calories off-and-on for the last year or so, and so far I've lost about 35 pounds when I've been doing it. When I've stopped counting, suddenly my weight loss has stopped. I think that it's so much easier for me to trick myself into believing that I'm eating an OK amount when I don't bother tracking, which I guess ties into the bullshit rationalisation and self-delusion that leads to gaining weight in general.

It's been a steady but effective process that's continuing to work for me, so I'm sticking with it. FWIW, I've lost weight aggressively on numerous occasions in the past — for example, the same 35 pounds but in a few months — but it's always come back. I think that truly developing better life-long eating habits is a slow process, and a 'quick fix' approach leads to those habits falling away once it seems OK to start pigging out again (it never is). I've been told countless times over the years that aiming for two/three pounds of loss a week is the way to go, and while I've dismissed this previously I'm now firmly behind the notion. I've never felt as effortlessly comfortable with eating sensibly as I do now, unlike in the past where despite what I've said I've found it difficult.

I use MyNetDiary. It is a pain at first, but you can save a meal that you make for next time you have it. Also, (like most of them) there is a barcode scanner which is very handy if your stuff comes in packages.

Also, if you are cooking, remember that veg often counts for pretty much nothing. Beansprouts are 20kcal per 100g, onions 40kcal per 100g; I usually just kinda lump all the veg in together at the end as an extra 50-100kcal which saves time.