gdf

Life

You could go to the RTE player on RTE.ie, but you might have to hack it with Hola unblocker to work in your region. I can link people later when I'm not at work and supposed to be working...

It's going good though, I actually think I might be competent enough to do the job. (maybe)

What is the little white bird? (I'm watching it right now)

Edit: it is a baby puffin.

Spoilers: Season 2 gets real dark.

Also maybe I should mention the actual thing is a children's cartoon aimed more towards the toddler range. So I'm not expecting a lot of people to wanna watch it.

I had to stop watching, silky the seal was stuck on a cliff "forever" and it reminded me of my childhood trauma when i got stuck behind an oil tank "forever" and was possibly going to miss my entire holidays because of it.

this is what comes up every time I talk about someone calling me or other women bitches. It's a really tired joke

But... but there's only a joke if you have already referred to yourself as literally being a wolf!

But... but there's only a joke if you have already referred to yourself as literally being a wolf!

No, men can and do find a way to divert it into a dog joke, I promise you this. I have heard it. It's the easiest way to divert the conversation. 

That's the first thing I looked in to. I don't have the skill nor time to do that. I do run the wire under my shirt (and jumper and jacket and scarf because it's freezing), but that doesn't make a difference.

I think I'm going to buy some more of the same, if I can get a cheap extension. If not, expensive high quality ones will have to do, and I'll deal with a silent bike ride. 

If they deliver to the UK, you should look at Monoprice. Fantastically cheap, good customer service/return policy. You can get a 75 foot extension cable for less than $5!!

No, men can and do find a way to divert it into a dog joke, I promise you this. I have heard it. It's the easiest way to divert the conversation. 

I get the feeling you're misinterpreting his pedantry concerning the use of "literally" with a joke about about dogs/bitches/whatever. Thought I might be way off point. 

Yeah, I wouldn't have gone to the dog thing otherwise. I didn't need to find a way, you laid it out and paved it with gold!

I am not misinterpreting. I am merely stating that despite the setup, this is the kind of rejoinder that happens often when I mention bitch being applied to women. And it's tiring. 

I'm not really a wolf, I know that I use literally as an intensifier, sexism is real, I hate my supervisor calling women bitches, and I don't find anything funny about it. It's been more than one occasion that a guy detracts from me commenting on being called a bitch with a joke about how female dogs are called bitches too. 

I am also kinda tired of my perception of something not being accurate either? I got the joke, what I'm saying is that it is repetitive and not funny because being called a bitch is not a pleasant experience.

I get the feeling you're misinterpreting his pedantry concerning the use of "literally" with a joke about about dogs/bitches/whatever. Thought I might be way off point. 

Yeah, I wouldn't have gone to the dog thing otherwise. I didn't need to find a way, you laid it out and paved it with gold!

Dudes, come on. I bet a bunch of the men Apple Cider is talking about also don't have bad motives, but still make the bitch jokes too. Someone voiced an obvious discomfort and you're digging a bigger hole.

I am not misinterpreting. I am merely stating that despite the setup, this is the kind of rejoinder that happens often when I mention bitch being applied to women. And it's tiring. 

I'm not really a wolf, I know that I use literally as an intensifier, sexism is real, I hate my supervisor calling women bitches, and I don't find anything funny about it. It's been more than one occasion that a guy detracts from me commenting on being called a bitch with a joke about how female dogs are called bitches too. 

I am also kinda tired of my perception of something not being accurate either? I got the joke, what I'm saying is that it is repetitive and not funny because being called a bitch is not a pleasant experience.

I didn't say anything about sexism not being real, and I don't find your supervisor calling women bitches funny either, it was purely the coinciding choice of phrase in your post that I was making a joke about. But I hadn't considered that you'd get men detracting from your comments in a superficially similar way often enough that the differences wouldn't stop my post from adding to the shitpile, so I apologise for doing that.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you respond when the men in your work environment try to detract from your comments in that way? And how is it that in your majority-female environment the men can still get away with saying all that stuff? I suspect these are pretty basic Patriarchy 101 questions, but I've just never heard from any of my female friends about such brazenly misogynistic language being used in the workplace and I find it hard to imagine anyone at a vaguely reputable company over here doing so without getting disciplined. Perhaps it's more insidious in the English workplace, or my female friends just don't want to bring it up, or you're at a crappy place and it would be different at a larger company there too...

Yes and that is a joke I have never heard before. 

Edit: okay, because I ranted about this elsewhere, I'm going to break this down. I know what you were getting at, and I know you didn't mean to be malicious, but this is what comes up every time I talk about someone calling me or other women bitches. It's a really tired joke and it detracts from how hurtful being called a bitch is. Yesterday, I had to sit through a meeting where two dudes out of a room of mostly women in my department made jokes about an inflatable Stay-Puft Man we have in our office was a "really good Valentine's Day date" because "she" doesn't talk back and also can be stuffed in a trunk. One of my coworkers even piped up, "More women should be like that."

It's extremely unfun to sit in a corporate environment that is run by mostly women, staffed by mostly women but the men can still get away with that shit because sexism is just normalized. It makes me feel like shit. 

Changing the course of conversation a bit, that would definitely not fly in any corporate environment that I've been involved in (Microsoft, Siemens, and my current company.) I'm honestly surprised and concerned that there are still places that accept that kind of behavior. It might as well be Mad Men.

It's a regional department store chain corporation, we're not Microsoft, but we're also not tiny (there's 800 people in this building). Those comments slide because everyone laughs at them, I don't. *shrugs* I'm just a contract hire here. But the department subsection I am involved in has a weekly meeting, 25 women, 7 men. What helps is probably because a lot of women make the same comments but I notice not everyone laughs comfortably. 

I know it shouldn't fly, but it does. And because it's so casual? It is just "the culture." 

(RE: Detracting from my comment, this is not something in the workplace, it's other men just in general. And informal poll on twitter shows it happens to other women too, re: specifically bitch and female dog jokes.)

Ug "the culture" is used to permit a lot of crappy things at my current company as well, but none so socially distressing.

Hi I haven't apologized for men in general lately. This seems like an appropriate time. I'm really sorry about men. I wish there was more I could do.

... in a superficially similar way ...

Kinda bringing the "I don't think I did anything wrong, sorry *you* were offended" game here, huh?

It's a regional department store chain corporation, we're not Microsoft, but we're also not tiny (there's 800 people in this building). Those comments slide because everyone laughs at them, I don't. *shrugs* I'm just a contract hire here. But the department subsection I am involved in has a weekly meeting, 25 women, 7 men. What helps is probably because a lot of women make the same comments but I notice not everyone laughs comfortably. 

I know it shouldn't fly, but it does. And because it's so casual? It is just "the culture." 

(RE: Detracting from my comment, this is not something in the workplace, it's other men just in general. And informal poll on twitter shows it happens to other women too, re: specifically bitch and female dog jokes.)

Do you have any kind of HR person you can tell about this?  At my company we can anonymously report stuff like this if we don't feel comfortable doing it in person.