gdf

Life

@Dewar, This is something that I have a lot of thoughts about, but it's not something I want to get into unless you're interested in talking about it more.  A decrease in sex drive can come from so many factors (physical, hormonal, stress, long term co-habitation, even very mild depression), that if it concerns you, there's a lot of territory to be explored to reverse it. 

Do we not have a general thread for taking about dating yet? Sounds like somebody should make that or revive that.

Also, yay yous! Do cool things!

I've never seen a dating thread work, because eventually its flavour shifts to the point where vanilla people won't post in it any more.

I remember one where several times, people would post that their partner wanted to try polyamory, the polyamorists encouraged it, and it turned out it was basically a pretext to break up. No-one ever learned.

The Coffee Meets Bagel thing sounds interesting, but it doesn't seem like it exists over here at the moment. I've actually seen UK newspapers reference it, but I can't see it on the UK App Store. Weird.

Today is quite possibly the most stressful day I've ever had in my life.  And its only half over.

Note: I apologize if this is rude but please do not ask me if I want to talk about it.  I love these forums and the people on them and I know many of you are more than willing to listen to my problems, having seen it offered many times before.  I respect that tremendously but this is a personal matter that I'm not ready to share yet.  I just needed to complain somewhere.

Sorry to hear you've had such a shitty day SAM.

My date last Friday must have been my best date ever which went absolutely nowhere.

We got on well, we had good chemistry, we had fun chatting and kissing but by the end we had come to the conclusion that despite all this we had slight (but significant) differences in our relationship needs, which at this particular point in the curve of our lives meant we prob wouldn't be a good match in a ongoing relationship.

We parted on very good terms & we have been chatting quite a bit still since then but I find my self doubt welling up making me ask myself whether or not she's just trying to let me down gently or she actually is enjoying our social interactions.

All in all it was really nice to have a date which felt like it was a genuine conversation about who we were and what we needed from each other with very little beating around the bush.

It was also good for me to get out and date again, even better it started & finished in a way which was 100% grounded on a nice organic back and forth conversation rather than the weird quasi interviews I seem to get at times which may me feel like I'm putting myself on a shelf waiting for someone to come along with their checklist before deciding if i'm worth their time

Today is quite possibly the most stressful day I've ever had in my life.  And its only half over.

Note: I apologize if this is rude but please do not ask me if I want to talk about it.  I love these forums and the people on them and I know many of you are more than willing to listen to my problems, having seen it offered many times before.  I respect that tremendously but this is a personal matter that I'm not ready to share yet.  I just needed to complain somewhere.

Sorry man. I offer my generalized sympathy. It's a frustrating feeling.

Yesterday on my way home from work, I took a slower but more winter safe route home.  There was an accident and I ended up sitting in traffic for 20 minutes.  Today I took my normal route home and there was another accident.  It looked like some woman swerved off the road and headfirst into a pole.  The front of her car was crushed.  I saw her as they were carefully pulling her out of the car, laying her onto a stretcher, and loading her into an ambulance.  The weird thing about encountering two accidents on two different roads on two different days is that the roads were totally clear on both days.

@Dewar, This is something that I have a lot of thoughts about, but it's not something I want to get into unless you're interested in talking about it more.  A decrease in sex drive can come from so many factors (physical, hormonal, stress, long term co-habitation, even very mild depression), that if it concerns you, there's a lot of territory to be explored to reverse it. 

It doesn't really concern me that much, but thank you for the offer.

Why do police not know what Twitter is?

Probably because a lot of them are not the demographic that "fits" Twitter user types. A lot of different populations use Twitter but the only ubiquitous social media to anyone is probably Facebook. When I was attempting to get police to investigate my stalker and for the court to issue me a restraining order, they had no idea (in 2012) what Twitter was, only that it was something "like Facebook." It's just not a priority when threats are considered to only be actionable if they are via people in your vicinity, etc. Cybercrime is incredibly hard to pin down, investigate or arrest for, unless you are a big company, but those big companies tend to also be in places that have cops with cybercrime units. It is a lot of things at once. 

Andrew Yoon, of Shacknews, Joystiq, PSPFanboy, and most recently of the upcoming board game Divorce! died yesterday in a tragic swimming accident while visiting friends in Austin.

I am immeasurably saddened by this for numerous reasons, mostly because he was a dear friend to some of my own dear friends, and I would have liked to have met him. His presence of podcasts (especially Weekend Confirmed) showed him to be a delightful man, sparkling with wit and intelligence. It also touches a subject very close to my heart: swimming. I've been a swimmer all my life, and even I am a little unnerved by natural pools with no lifeguards. I've had cramp before, I've had bouts of dizziness - dealing with those in that environment would be incredibly tough. It's just such a shame - the local news reports describe as a poor swimmer - who knows the extent to which that is true - but it does reinforce in me how vitally important swim teaching (my job) and water safety really is. The worst can happen to the best of us, and it really is immeasurably sad.

I started my master's thesis project today, which is equal parts scary and exciting.

Why do police not know what Twitter is?

In Norway they do, actually. Most big cities' police stations have Twitter accounts where they report both traffic incident and other reports, and they even try themselves at humor from time to time. Here is the oslo one: https://twitter.com/oslopolitiops

Yesterday, report cards went home. While it's my second year as a teacher and I've written report cards twice before, both of those cards were for classes that I was on a temporary contract with, and the contracts expired as the report cards went home. This time, the class is mine, which means I'm dealing with the parent fallout from report cards for the first time starting today. It's never the parents that you'd expect. The ones whose kids stir up shit all the time know about it already and just kind of sheepishly take the cards. What sucks is that I've had to basically write apologies to three super WASP-y parents for calling their kids average. Fun times this weekend as the emails roll in!

Apologies? What have you got to apologise for? "I'm sorry ma'am, but you're raising an average kid."

Being a self-employed/small business owner blows some days, spent a chunk of last weekend and all day today doing a bunch of tax and bookkeeping stuff I don't have time for during the regular work week. 

I think that my life is one of those art projects where an artist creates a robot who's entire goal is to slowly destroy itself, or maybe, perhaps more accurately, it's this piece here, this beautiful piece of art. What happens, now?

There is so much real suffering in the world, compared to my dumb stories. I am glad to read this forum, I read about how everyone is dealing, and caring, and that's so good, it confirms that you are all Real, Good, Human beings. And that's appreciated. 

Here is what I want, I want you to all know that the joy in human life is being able to share it with (any) other people, that the word "agony" is right there in the word protagonist, and that if you're just pure, and hopeful, you're doing what you can do.

I think that my life is one of those art projects where an artist creates a robot who's entire goal is to slowly destroy itself, or maybe, perhaps more accurately, it's this piece here, this beautiful piece of art. What happens, now?

That strongly resembles a few things I recommended for a AAFF, so your life is pretty incredible by my measure.

Oh hey, I know that piece! The part of the sequence that's embedded in concrete is still moving, it's just that the it'll take something like 13 billion years to make a rotation. I always liked that.

I just got home from a house party at my brothers, he's having eye surgery next week so wanted to have a send off before GE goes dry for how ever many weeks/months

I think I'm too old to enjoy this anymore. The few people drinking too much were obnoxious, they watched a ppv ufc fight instead of 8-player smash I brought over, and after the fight cranked the radio loudly to which was all butt rock

I was generally irritated by the whole thing, worried about the drive home (snowing sorta bad tonight) and felt like the old guy sober complaining about music of today's youth

I think I need new friends I have more in common with currently and less history to reminisce about. I really hate talking about the past with these people

after being admitted into the hospital twice for anxiety and suicide attempts I have racked up some bills I haven't been able to pay for months until now but I am afraid that something bad is going to happen like I will be arrested or something. I am freaking the fuck out and I have so many invoices I can't tell which is my actual amount total I have to pay.

I am a fucking idiot.