gdf

Life

I'm still using my galaxy Nexus which I was pretty happy with until google decided to arbitrarily stop pushing android updates to it. That and their other recent anticompetitive behaviour around Android has really soured me on them. Unfortunately the competitors are at least as bad if not worse, so basically I'm probably going to hang onto this thing until it stops working. Grumble.

The One X actually got better with each update and ended up a very responsive phone even after they stopped pushing updates. Before that, I had the HTC Legend, which became a creakier piece of shit with each update. Still don't fully trust Android to, like, work properly, but don't mistrust it as much as I used to.

At least 'burn in' isn't as ridiculous and offensive to me as $50+ HDMI cables, I have been really tempted in the past to just go into an electronics store and start arguing with a poor salesperson about how fucking wrong that is. Thankfully I don't.

I have toslink cables with gold plated connectors for better sound. It really makes a difference you know.

This is why I'm on Verizon - I got cell service in the middle of Death Valley. Like literally off-road in the desert.

True story. I end up with service at trailheads more often than not which can be very nice for peace of mind.

I'm about ready for a new phone as well.  My current phone (the Nexus 4) is starting to behave strangely, doing things like randomly turning itself off or the battery heating up more than usual.  I love new tech but the practical part of me is strong enough to prevent me from getting a new one every year.  That and the fact that I'm broke.  Hopefully my phone will last until I can get another.

I just got a 2nd Gen Moto X after too long with a busted phone. It could just be relief at having something that works but I think it's the bee's knees.

A nice solid phone is the Galaxy line, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, which is affordable given that the S6 is coming out soon iirc.

At work, where I develop mobile games, we have a Galaxy S2 and it somehow is able to run all our games buttery smooth. 

I haven't gotten a call back about my interview/the job yet so for now I have to continue distracting myself with the gay guys on tinder that are aggressively hitting on me. (I may have been wrong to overlook tinder as GOTY 2014)

Anticipation is the worst. I got up from my desk in my course to get something and started chatting to a guy for a few minutes, but when I realised I left my phone behind I figured I should go back in case I got a call about the job. But when I got back there was actually an email sitting for me, and when I saw it was from them I figured that I didn't get it or they would have phoned.

Turns out I got the job.

What the hell. I don't know what to do with myself now, apart from rearranging my life of course.

Holy shit.

Congrats, man.

Biased man.

Super biased man.

Congrats!

Woo. Well done! And now you won't have to turn to tinder for solace, rather for celebration!

No longer is your name a lie, SuperBiasedBoy, you are now truly SuperBIasedMan.

Thanks thumbs! I am maintaining terrified optimism. My list of things to buy when I have money is mostly just a pair of shoes that won't fall apart after 2 months and some dental treatment. It's a 2 month contact (with the traditional "maybe more after that" clause) so I'm not going to be racking up the biggest pile of cash.

Incidentally SuperBasedMan (previously Boy) is my evil doppelganger that sees bias only in others instead of conquering it in himself.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to celebrate with a game of tinder.

Thanks thumbs! I am maintaining terrified optimism. My list of things to buy when I have money is mostly just a pair of shoes that won't fall apart after 2 months and some dental treatment. It's a 2 month contact (with the traditional "maybe more after that" clause) so I'm not going to be racking up the biggest pile of cash.

Incidentally SuperBasedMan (previously Boy) is my evil doppelganger that sees bias only in others instead of conquering it in himself.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to celebrate with a game of tinder.

Better update that profile.

I'm with you, btw. Tinder GOTY 2014.

Interested to find out if you get as high a Tinder score if you change your name from SBBoy to SBMan.

(bonus achievement SBDaddy)

Grats SBM!!!

Man I tried using Tinder and it's probably because I'm a straight dude (and also probably because I have a gross aura or something), but I never got any matches until I just gave in and started liking literally everyone. I went through a thousand in one night over the course of a few hours, and got... five matches. And then, all of those matches were just spam for webcams and shit.

Fortunately, I already have the lowest possible self-esteem, so it didn't bring me any lower...

You guys are making me want to play Tinder.  Thankfully I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the lady would be up for having some fun with it.

Aww, Twig. I like you.

I have not had to be on dating services for 7 years now because I'm in a long-term thing but when I was, it was pretty annoying because I'm a queer woman and it's either creepy dudes or couples who wanted to solicit my services as a marital aid. Despite me not advertising for that.

I'm not even joking, tinder is genuinely a fun game... obviously with the caveat that it's fun if you approach it as a game and I cannot speak to the experience of being a woman on their.

Just mark yourself as interested in both genders, swipe any man you think might be interesting to talk to and swipe all the women. That seems to be the way to get some conversations going. Anecdotally, it also helped quite a bit when I switched my main picture from me with a flower in my hair to me wearing a suit.

I think the fact that there are no stakes in it at all for me definitely makes it way more fun since I don't care if I get unmatched and I can just take a conversation anywhere... like trying to explain Spelunky to someone who didn't play any video games at all.

Worth noting that on paper Tinder is supposed to be a place to meet people and just chat... but that's only on paper.

Aww, Twig. I like you.

I have not had to be on dating services for 7 years now because I'm in a long-term thing but when I was, it was pretty annoying because I'm a queer woman and it's either creepy dudes or couples who wanted to solicit my services as a marital aid. Despite me not advertising for that.

I've occasionally heard that from women, was the couples thing really that pervasive on dating sites/services in your experience? I'm a decade+ removed from using one, and am a dude besides, so no frame of reference. It would seem like swinging would be the way easier route with that, but I suppose some people (read, probably dudes) wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Aww, Twig. I like you.

Haha, thanks. I've been feeling especially down lately, and that actually made me feel a little better! Neat!

SBM: The way you describe it sounds fun, but I think my crippling social anxiety gets in the way more than anything else of me having fun with any kind of social endeavor... Even something that I know in my head is most likely completely meaningless in the long-term.