gdf

Life

Maybe you were always a monster and the modern world has jst allowed you to indulge it.

I found out about a job with the animation studio that made the Secret of Kells. They want someone with experience both of animation and coding to work on creating an art application for them. I am immensely interested and entirely unsure of whether I fit with what they want. Obviously I still apply and leave the job of judging my application up to them, but I'm just not even sure how I can present myself well. I learned this programming language when I was 10, so I mostly know basics from that but I can catch up pretty easily. I gotta bone up on this and then apply, so I'll see how that goes...

Please get a job so I can get an in to Cartoon Saloon!

They probably won't relocate me though.

They say that due to employment restrictions they can only hire people from within the EU? Confused by that, I'll just have to get the job for your sake, so I can then investigate further.

If they cannot hire somebody from outside the EU it is probably a subsidized position, or they are being dicks.

Actually it probably is a subsidy thing. Arts Grants/loans from the EU can be given on the basis that the money is paid to EU people. Because economy.

Thanks JL! Hopefully they won't mind if I'm a zombie thumb...

Actually it probably is a subsidy thing. Arts Grants/loans from the EU can be given on the basis that the money is paid to EU people. Because economy.

Thanks JL! Hopefully they won't mind if I'm a zombie thumb...

Yeah Cartoon Saloon takes a lot of Irish Heritage (is that the correct agency?) money for projects as a large body of their work, even short films, involves Irish subject matter in some form or another.

I care deeply for my ex-girlfriend, but I really hate how her depression means that I'm never allowed to admit any unhappiness to her. If I mention anything even potentially positive going on in my life, she'll pounce on how lucky I am for it, especially compared to her, and how I should be happy. I feel like, with her own mental health issues, she should understand that you can have anything or everything and still be depressed sometimes, but the few times I've tried to point that out, she's gotten really angry and offended about how I'm policing her attempts to "make conversation." Funny how that conversation is almost always about how my life is going great and her life is going terrible. It's making it so I don't want to talk to her if I'm anything less than ecstatic, which is basically never.

And on Thursday I'm going home for Christmas, which means being fought over by my divorced parents for nine days. Yesterday, I found myself secretly wishing that I'd get sick so I'd have to miss my flight to Dallas and be able to just relax and regroup by myself for the break. I got most of my goals for the semester done, but I'm really worn out and not interested in playing referee for anybody, apparently.

Whine whine whine.

Funny how that conversation is almost always about how my life is going great and her life is going terrible.

I am your ex-girlfriend in nearly every conversation with my friends. I feel terrible for it, and I acknowledge it, and I try to apologize for it when I realize I've been particularly egregious about it, but I still do it over and over again and I just can't help it. I wish I could stop. I wish a lot of things.

I am your ex-girlfriend

SPOOKY

For Christmas I am going to New Orleans to spend time with an online friend I've had for some years now that I've never actually met before. I will be there for five days. I hope we don't hate each other once we meet in real life! That sure would be awkward!

I am your ex-girlfriend in nearly every conversation with my friends. I feel terrible for it, and I acknowledge it, and I try to apologize for it when I realize I've been particularly egregious about it, but I still do it over and over again and I just can't help it. I wish I could stop. I wish a lot of things.

I hear you, Twig, but I doubt you're half as stubborn as her about letting the person with whom you're talking say that they've had a bad day. I've known her for over a decade now, about half of which was us dating, and she's always struggled with deep clinical depression, which I'm used to addressing in conversation. It's only been the past couple years, during her second run at grad school, that she's gotten so militant about shutting down my negative feelings.

For instance, a couple weeks ago, I was suffering from a multi-day headache that was making me really unfocused and cranky, and she brought up that one of my richer friends had bought me a nice dinner the previous Friday as a reason why it's unreasonable that this headache was getting me down now. Usually it's not so bad, I'll just say I'm lonely and she'll say I'm not, because didn't I hang out with someone a few days ago. Still, if I do the same to her, even with really and truly positive stuff like finding a nice job or having a fancy weekend getaway with her new boyfriend, I'm not letting her feel her feelings. Why can't we both just say that we're miserable and stew together? I hate it when conversations are actually competitions.

Three months into my new job at this point, one month away from turning 30.

It's kinda been messing with my head, reaching this milestone. I'm realizing, surrounded by a lot of younger people at my job (by significant margin), that I need to step up on the responsibility and lead, even if I'm not officially a leader on the job. I've been eating a ton of shit that I used to refuse to put up with, but it seems easier to handle just with the arbitrary decision that I'm older now and should just deal with it. It's a pretty rapid turn-around. So I guess I'm pleased with myself? I've been coaching people to having more balanced work ethics on the job; the people who lack in aggression (not to be mistaken with hostility) are being nudged to have some more and how to do it, and the people who have too much aggression are being coached into taking a breather. And it's working; younger folks actually listening to me. I never speak like an authoritative person (even though I think it in a lot of cases). I think it helps that I'm in that bridging area between young and middle-aged.

I dunno. This is how I'm viewing the whole concept of getting older and what it means. I'm sure the next year will have a lot more to it. All I know is I'm ten years out from getting my butt examined annually by a doctor. I hope the tech improves before then.

For instance, a couple weeks ago, I was suffering from a multi-day headache that was making me really unfocused and cranky, and she brought up that one of my richer friends had bought me a nice dinner the previous Friday as a reason why it's unreasonable that this headache was getting me down now. Usually it's not so bad, I'll just say I'm lonely and she'll say I'm not, because didn't I hang out with someone a few days ago. Still, if I do the same to her, even with really and truly positive stuff like finding a nice job or having a fancy weekend getaway with her new boyfriend, I'm not letting her feel her feelings. Why can't we both just say that we're miserable and stew together? I hate it when conversations are actually competitions.

I really dislike that little conversational chestnut. "Oh man, I really have (some physical issue that is real but not horrible)" 'You shouldn't complain, you don't have cancer.'

I... what? Yes that is true. And I am well aware I do not nor do I have it as bad as someone with a terminal illness. The body has more threshold levels that it sends unpleasant signals back to you besides "fine" and "cancer".

It's the same as "you should be grateful just to have a job". Yes, I am grateful to have a job. No, I do not feel overwhelmingly thankful and blessed JUST to be employed when it is a stressful and underwhelming job. Even when there are people who have worse employment situations than me! Doubly especially do not say this shit when you are the person employing me.

So today when I got home from work, this was sitting there:

post-6403-0-71064100-1418692793_thumb.jpg

Pretty weird, right? Especially since, aside from a couple of amiibo, the only thing I ordered off of Amazon lately was a couple of blu rays for my girlfriend for Christmas. I curiously opened it up.

post-6403-0-21275400-1418692813_thumb.jpg

Guys, is Amazon making fun of me?

And on Thursday I'm going home for Christmas, which means being fought over by my divorced parents for nine days. Yesterday, I found myself secretly wishing that I'd get sick so I'd have to miss my flight to Dallas and be able to just relax and regroup by myself for the break. I got most of my goals for the semester done, but I'm really worn out and not interested in playing referee for anybody, apparently.

He didn't want me to say this, but Twig really wants you to hang out with him over Christmas.

Miffy, do you have Amazon Prime? Nothing as insanely hilarious as yours, but I've similar packaging anomalies like that that happen a few times since I got the Amazon Prime trial (which I ran out of last month), and it's almost like it seems if you need your package quickly they just grab whatever is around. I don't even know why Amazon does Sunday delivery for Prime now either, it's pretty disgusting.

Haha, I would hang out with anyone, anytime, Christmas or no, but I'll be in New Orleans from 25-29 so.

Nope, don't have Prime. Thought about it a few times, but I live in a basement and my neighbours have to get my mail in their box and put it in a separate one anyway, so same/next day doesn't mean much.

Oh shit I think that someone important in our collective lives may have gotten engaged.

I'm 99% sure I know who you're talking about but I'm not going to say who just yet.  Not my place to announce something like this.

Oh shit I think that someone important in our collective lives may have gotten engaged.

Well someone had to snap up Jeff Goldblum eventually