gdf

Life

I hate how Facebook defaults to show me what it thinks I want to see and hides tons of stuff. How arrogant can a social-media app get?

I actually don't mind ads so much if it's obvious it's an ad. What I HATE more than ANYTHING is when these things show me shit out of order. If I want to see older shit I'll fucking scroll down you piece of shit website.

I've also recently been increasingly annoyed at Facebook's desire to show me goobergloppers who are "Friends" with my "Friends". I don't know them and I don't want to know them. And yet!

(Ooh, thanks Megaspel; useful link. I get sick of FB showing me the same post I'm not interested in for days at a time).

I went out with friends tonight, and one of them is a builder who told me an excellent story about someone he's working with: He was paid to fit a bathroom for someone in a house they were renovating, and they agreed an amount in advance. On the last day of work, they customer tries to haggle and get a day for free. The builder says "You can go get me all of my fucking money right now, or I'll start ripping out the things I've installed". The guy goes and gets the money and drops it off, but when the builder counts it, it's five pounds short (an odd amount to be short, as most cashpoints and banks dispense in denominations of ten pounds, it's not an amount you're likely to mis-key, and five pound notes are a very different colour to other banknotes, so it was deliberate). His last job before leaving was to hang the bathroom door and fit a door handle, which he did… but he put the hinges on the top edge  :)

Imagine trying to explain that to whoever you call in to fix it without saying "I tried to fuck over the last guy".

I made that post and didn't even read Megaspel's I was so enraged at the thought of it! Convenient.

Now what's the link to hide all the assholes?

(Ooh, thanks Megaspel; useful link. I get sick of FB showing me the same post I'm not interested in for days at a time).

I went out with friends tonight, and one of them is a builder who told me an excellent story about someone he's working with: He was paid to fit a bathroom for someone in a house they were renovating, and they agreed an amount in advance. On the last day of work, they customer tries to haggle and get a day for free. The builder says "You can go get me all of my fucking money right now, or I'll start ripping out the things I've installed". The guy goes and gets the money and drops it off, but when the builder counts it, it's five pounds short (an odd amount to be short, as most cashpoints and banks dispense in denominations of ten pounds, it's not an amount you're likely to mis-key, and five pound notes are a very different colour to other banknotes, so it was deliberate). His last job before leaving was to hang the bathroom door and fit a door handle, which he did… but he put the hinges on the top edge  :)

Imagine trying to explain that to whoever you call in to fix it without saying "I tried to fuck over the last guy".

That's amazing. I love builder/contractor stories.

Yesterday was supposed to be the launch of the Orion spacecraft. One of the only things I particularly love about living in Florida (trust me, there are few) is that space launches from Cape Canaveral are plainly visible in the sky. Of course, that launch was scrubbed due to weather and mechanical issues. It was delayed to today, where it was cleared for 7:05am EST launch and successfully got up in the sky. Despite waking up at the right time, the stream on my phone died and when I went outside to see the launch the sky was ridiculously foggy and the visibility was zero.

I'm so bummed.

Judging by my feed on Twitter, the stream went down for loads of people. For me, it cut out just after "Ten" :(

So I got fired this week. Don't really want to get into the particulars, but suffice it to say that being fired sucks enough.

Anyway, today was my 30th birthday. I generally hate birthdays and I think my mom was feeling bad for me, so she secretly paid off the bike I had on layaway. That was an amazing thing, but it made me feel guilty. But whatever, I should just appreciate it and not let my guilt get in the way of a good thing, right?

Well, on the inaugural ride, I got hit by a car.

Fuck today.

Jesus... On the bright side, it can't get much worse.

Also, being 30 years is great, because you can now yell at the kids to get off your lawn. (No lawn required)

So I got fired this week. Don't really want to get into the particulars, but suffice it to say that being fired sucks enough.

Anyway, today was my 30th birthday. I generally hate birthdays and I think my mom was feeling bad for me, so she secretly paid off the bike I had on layaway. That was an amazing thing, but it made me feel guilty. But whatever, I should just appreciate it and not let my guilt get in the way of a good thing, right?

Well, on the inaugural ride, I got hit by a car.

Fuck today.

Oh man. So sorry to hear all of that :(

I hope you, and the bike, are okay.

I think physically I'll be okay, thanks guys. My legs are quite sore, but the swelling's gone down on the points of contact. The woman basically stopped when she realized what was happening as I furiously pulled on the brakes (she turned left in front of me while I was going straight.

The woman's agreed to pay for any damages to the bike. I have her insurance info, but I might just let her settle with me outside of making a claim just so it doesn't fuck her insurance. Though I'm of two minds of that. I'm still undecided on that front, I guess.

Hopefully the frame is okay. It's a carbon fiber bike, which means that any frame damage would necessitate replacement. I've got the shop looking it over now and they're supposed to call me later today with the butcher's bill.

I haven't been sleeping well at all this week and this just made things that much worse. I want to crawl into a hole and emerge in the spring.

I don't think I can, not if I got fired. One of the managers at the company had been out for blood since mid-September, so the whole job situation was just this slow-motion trainwreck that finally came to a stop. I was massively unhappy in the position anyway and had been filled with anxiety for months and months, so getting fired--shitty as that is--was more of a relief than not.

Luckily, the bike is okay. A few adjustments and a replaced water bottle and I was out the door for less than $150. I'll just let the lady right me a check and not bring it to the insurance company. It'll keep her record clean and probably bring me some good karma; I could easily recoup three or four times that if I filed a claim.

I plan to go riding later tonight, but I'll wait until traffic has subsided a bit, should make it a tad bit safer on the roads.

I don't think I can, not if I got fired. One of the managers at the company had been out for blood since mid-September, so the whole job situation was just this slow-motion trainwreck that finally came to a stop. I was massively unhappy in the position anyway and had been filled with anxiety for months and months, so getting fired--shitty as that is--was more of a relief than not.

Luckily, the bike is okay. A few adjustments and a replaced water bottle and I was out the door for less than $150. I'll just let the lady right me a check and not bring it to the insurance company. It'll keep her record clean and probably bring me some good karma; I could easily recoup three or four times that if I filed a claim.

I plan to go riding later tonight, but I'll wait until traffic has subsided a bit, should make it a tad bit safer on the roads.

You should try filing for unemployment anyway. State the exact circumstances and let the state decide. It's very possible that the company that you're fired from won't bother contesting, depending on your circumstances. My wife was fired and she's been able to collect, but I imagine that varies state-to-state and circumstance-to-circumstance.

The details were bloody but seemingly bullshit, but I don't really feel like fighting them on it. They're paying me two weeks severance plus all accrued vacation time, which sees me through to the end of the year. I'm going back home to see my family for the first time in over a year, and I might extend that beyond the week I had planned.

There's also been discussion of me moving back to Arizona to regroup. I've kind of fallen out of love with Austin, and my dad runs his own business and desperately needs help. Also, he's getting to the age where he'll need someone else to take over at some point if the business is to continue. It's not particularly rewarding work, but it makes decent money and it would be a way for me to stay afloat and reassess my life while I plan for the future.

Isn't being fired the precise reason unemployment exists?

I didn't even apply for unemployment benefits because I willingly walked away from a job. I thought that's how it worked!

Being fired is different from being laid off. If you're fired from your job due to your own incompetence, you are less eligible for unemployment than if it's the employer's fault. At least I think that's how it works.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply it was your fault Architecture. Dunno if it came off like that, but just in case! I obviously have no idea what happened. ):

There's also been discussion of me moving back to Arizona to regroup. I've kind of fallen out of love with Austin, and my dad runs his own business and desperately needs help. Also, he's getting to the age where he'll need someone else to take over at some point if the business is to continue. It's not particularly rewarding work, but it makes decent money and it would be a way for me to stay afloat and reassess my life while I plan for the future.

This may not be a terrible idea, but if you're only viewing it as a chance to reassess, make sure he is seeing it the same way. If you dangle the possibility of taking over for him and then say "actually I've got a cool new idea for myself, good luck with that!" he may feel a bit hoodwinked.

Yeah you should leave Austin. I wish I weren't here anymore. This place could just be every other mediocre city with some perks but the fact that everyone seems to think it's the best fucking city in America only makes it that much more. People move here and have to do everything they can to not admit the buyer's remorse.

when I was in 6th grade a girl walked up to me and asked "ugh, why don't you just kill yourself already?" since then I have been asking myself the same thing about five times a day.

She ended the conversation with "no one likes you", her social skills were impeccable.

Yeah you should leave Austin. I wish I weren't here anymore. This place could just be every other mediocre city with some perks but the fact that everyone seems to think it's the best fucking city in America only makes it that much more. People move here and have to do everything they can to not admit the buyer's remorse.

I've been here almost nine years. In that time, I've seen the city change a lot. The traffic is one of the main reasons I feel like I need to leave. I just hate driving so much and everyone here drives terribly. The cost of living and housing continues to skyrocket, and yet very little is improving. I just feel suffocated--I'm ready to live somewhere quieter for a while.

But I will say one thing--today I learned that I'm as fast as Lance Armstrong:

uQ5xtCH.jpg