gdf

Life

Welp, I finally feel bad enough about lurking that I'll come out of my hole and talk about random junk, lucky you guys, right?

So I'm at a really weird place in my life right now. I'm working through the last semester as a physics undergrad, and I've finally made it to the point where I feel like I'm going to make it through successfully. This is made especially weird since I was actually supposed to graduate over a year ago but failed 3 classes in the last semester and was forced to take a year off saving money. 

I'm at this point where I'm genuinely within reach of something I've been working towards since forever, and I can't even feel good about it. I've been in a pseudo panic state for the last month because I have a billion things due on the 24th, and now that I have it under control, just feel exhausted. All I want is for this to end so I can just do nothing and decompress for a couple weeks.

Well after my six stair fall the good news is that nothing about my spine is fractured which means no X-ray. I'm just badly bruised and the area around my spine still hurts in various stages of movement. The worse news is that my tail bone is probably fractured and there's nothing to be done about it except wait for it to heal.

My mom tried to talk to me about Ferguson tonight. It did not go well. Super happy to not be going home for Thanksgiving.

My condolences to anyone who's going to be having an awkward meal with a piece of garbage racist this week.

Today I woke up at 6 AM, took a cold shower, looked in the mirror and saw that there is nothing wrong with me that I can't fix.

Today I woke up at 6 AM, took a cold shower, looked in the mirror and saw that there is nothing wrong with me that I can't fix.

Before you can fix yourself, you must fix your hot water.

Funny story about my cold showers: in that it's not funny at all and you all need to learn to not have dry skin.

My mom tried to talk to me about Ferguson tonight. It did not go well. Super happy to not be going home for Thanksgiving.

My condolences to anyone who's going to be having an awkward meal with a piece of garbage racist this week.

This kind of upsets/angers me. My father is incredibly racist, but he's certainly not a piece of garbage. I can hate that part of him, disagree with what he says, but I can also easily forgive someone who was brought up in a racist era, in an especially racist country and still holds those thoughts. It's not like he's a politician. 

Cold showers can be soo good though

I started taking them this year and I like it, makes me feel refreshed whereas hot showers make me feel drowsy. The water finally got cold again this month too.

The left side of my jaw is killing me - I can't open my mouth more than about an inch before I get a sharp pain. I'm one of those idiots who has health and dental insurance and never uses them, so now I have to figure out what dentists are covered by my plan, if I can actually afford the copay for stuff, etc. Meh. Right before Thanksgiving too, ffs.

This is one of the reasons I don't much care about going home. My immediate family isn't like that, but we always have Christmas with either my dad's side or my mom's side (I don't remember which we're on this year). Point being that there are some incredibly racist people on both sides. I only learned this recently, in the past few years. I guess because I grew "old enough" for them to feel free to talk like total pieces of shit around me. I don't know. I do know I hate it and they are ruining what used to be my favorite time of the year.

Re: cold showers, I have tried so many times but I can't do it. I don't know how you do it. The second I feel cold I start dying and collapsing into a puddle of misery.

I'll do less-than-hot showers in the summer but I've never done a straight up cold shower. Even when the water heater's fucked and I have to by necessity I'll just stand at the edge of the water and splash it all on me bit by bit because I CAN'T DEAL IT'S TOO COLD AHHHHHHH.

Being cold is literally the worst thing.

I just received a random package with no billing info in the package along with noise canceling headphones.

Weirdly enough I don't think either myself or my wife ordered them. They were addressed to me, but in a way neither of us write my name out as ( I usually am 'III' instead of "the 3rd"). 

Could this be a weird scam?  They are from a place called 'Computer Distribution Center'.

A gift maybe? I have spent 6 or 7 hours on two family members computers recently, but normally if they were sending something they would let me know and I obviously don't want to ask either of them 'ayyy you send a gift?'

This is weird. 

*edit*

Googling the SKU# it seems it might be from tigerdirect?

Edited by YoThatLimp

Clearly they contain subliminal advertising...

Weirdly I feel strange deja vu like I've heard someone tell this exact kinda story before? Anyone else feelin' that?

No deja vu, but I do sometimes feel like I'm wearing a pair of headphones and when I look in the mirror there's nothing there.

:nodance: (From far away this looks like "No llamas" or "No goats," but when I look really close and see what it actually is, I have no idea what the fuck I'm looking at.

Ok so I don't know if anyone still cares about this dumb thing but I actually know what that is. It's a warning sign for an amusement park ride, a "keep arms inside at all times" sort of thing.

uyijnQN.png

Haha! 

Nice catch there!

I could not see the object in the background as anything else than some kind of speed lines.

I have a job that isn't exactly easy, but there's a lot of time where you don't need to be doing anything. I am extraordinarily good at my job. I've been here for 6 years and I have fully internalized my duties. It's been great because I can just draw, write, read, and listen to radio all day while I maintain an awareness of what's going on. When something needs to be done, I just do it and then I have another thirty minutes to read.

I work with two other people. Up until a few months ago, atleast two out of three people have performed their duties. About a year ago they hired a guy who does nothing. I should mention that we work in shifts so we are never here at the same time. So for three months or so two of us just did all the work and we were patient with the one who did nothing. We just kept on reminding him what he needs to be doing and he would either say that he does do it or say that he would. Every once in a while the fantasy he was trying to convince us of would break down enough that he would actually do a single one of his duties for a few days; either he knew we knew he was lying, or maybe he actually believes that he works but reality sets in every once in a while.

About nine months ago the other employee that does work got injured and no longer works here. I should mention that my supervisor hired the guy who does nothing soon after he replaced the supervisor that hired myself and other people who work. So me and guy who does nothing have been getting a string of other people who refuse to work as co-workers. For nine months, I've been doing all the work and trying to convince other employees that we have duties and if we do them, then we can enjoy the 90% of the time where we are required to do nothing but be alert to whether or not we are needed. The first guy who doesn't work has gotten better and better at convincing the new people that I am just a control-freak who likes to be bossy. This week we had a confrontation and I realized that there is nothing I can do and even trying to explain to them that there are good reasons for doing things the way we have been doing them for +6years is seen as me trying to be in charge. To be clear, I did not make our duties up or design the way we have been doing things. I have been told by the guy who does nothing that I am just making up the rules. He has convinced the new hire of this too.

So my workplace is getting messier and less pleasant by the day. When ever I leave for a multi-day break, I have been cleaning up the mess left by the other guys doing nothing while I was gone. That is what really pissed them off. So now, just doing my job is considered by my co-workers as an attempt at one-upmanship.

I made my new supervisor aware that the guy who does nothing is doing nothing months ago.

So now I've acepted that I have no control over the situation and doing my duties during my shift, but I'm not cleaning up after them. I'm watching my workplace deteriorate.

I wonder how long it will take before my supervisor has to do something about it and my coworkers convince him that it's because I don't do anything.

TL;DR

Don't hire people that spend all their energy trying to convince people that they work instead of working.

Turns out that if you earn money from self employment (as an internet freelancer) while unemployed, ALL the money you earned is projected forward as a reduction to your welfare payment so that essentially you have earned nothing. Even worse than that, if the amount you're earning decreases then you've actually lost yourself money since they only reassess you after a period of months so you're living with an overly high deduction on your payments until you can get them to reassess you and restore the money you've been not getting.

I wish it at least surprised me that the system deincentivising work was more than just disgruntled rhetoric but frankly I've been in this system enough to know that it's not about incentivising me to work, it's about being obligated to give people money while they try to move them out of the "Unemployed" column and into any other column they possibly could, whether the column is "Living in another country", "poorly internship" or "Gave up on life and moved home with parents"*.

* No, I don't think living with parents is automatically giving up on life by any means, but if it's a move made out of desperation and lack of opportunities it's not a positive choice that lets you move forward with life. Especially if by moving there you'll be further away from career prospects, learning opportunities and potential networking.

If it's a choice you pretty much had to make, then there's nothing wrong with it. You're being sensible, not giving up on life. Lots of people find themselves having to make that choice these days; it absolutely can be positive if it's for the best in the long run.

Also, I don't know if it's a whole different ballgame in Ireland, but just make sure you're keeping track of your income in great detail, so when stuff settles down, you can send it all off to the tax office and get a refund. I've had to do that over many years as a freelancer - it sucks getting 'emergency taxed'/'basic rated' but at least once the tax year's done you can send all your shit in and get a cheque back for a couple of hundred quid.

I dunno, maybe a lot of it is mentally but if I were to move home for example, all my friends would live 2 hours away, all potential employers for careers would be two hours away. Because of the people my parents are, I would be giving up a significant amount of independence and individual choice of how to live my moment to moment life. I like visiting my parents, but I get tired of it after a week. So it really does feel like the only reason I would move home is if I was forced to financially and as a result would have to try and adapt my life to a less productive setting.

Also about the tax, I didn't earn enough from freelancing to have to pay any tax in the first place. As an employee you can get emergency taxed and stuff here, but when self employed they just sent me tax forms at the end of the year to fill out and when I sent them in they assessed me and said I was good with pay. But thanks for the heads up, had I been taxed that'd certainly be a nice Christmas bonus!