gdf

Life

I actually keep debating on it.  The main reason I have long hair is that I hate haircuts, and just never get them.  But if I shaved it off, I could just let it grow back out and not worry about a haircut for quite awhile.  Maybe next Halloween.

Obviously I was just kidding but if you're ever looking for an excuse, a guy on my soccer team does this every year.

Oh god, that beautiful moustache, whyyyy?

It was time for it to go. 

In other news, I keep freaking myself out when I look in the mirror.  I think I'm going to keep it shaved for awhile (and skip out on No Shave November) to see what I think of it. 

Kudos for doing something different, however I'm going to disagree with everyone here and say: KEEP THE BEARD!

As a man who can't grow facial hair - it's sparse and patchy, if I grow it out (by being too lazy to shave, never on purpose) I look like a teenager who's got his first facial hair and think it looks cool - you have to keep the almighty beard. 

I'd love to have a beard at least once, but I don't ever see it happening. So on behalf of all the semi-men like me, display your beard with pride. 

As a man who can't grow facial hair - it's sparse and patchy, if I grow it out (by being too lazy to shave, never on purpose) I look like a teenager who's got his first facial hair and think it looks cool - you have to keep the almighty beard. 

I'd love to have a beard at least once, but I don't ever see it happening. So on behalf of all the semi-men like me, display your beard with pride. 

I feel your pain. I can only grow a sparse section of facial hair underneath my chin/on my neck. I would absolutely love to be able to grow a beard and/or moustache at least once. Alas, I'm destined to be a baby-face the rest of my life.

i wanted to type this somewhere other than twitter idk if its because there is an gross inherent part of me that wants people to feel bad for me or some shit or i just cant stop thinking about this shit right now. sorry if this shit is too much of a downer so i'll just keep this quick. trigger warning for suicide and depression

last Wednesday i tried to take my life, and fortunately, my mom convinced me out of it and i didn't feel safe with myself that day, and i decided to go to the hospital to take mental health treatment where i stayed for 5 or so days i think (time has gotten somewhat foggy). i co-habitated with other patients who had schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, all trying to find some. my main goal was sleep, as i hadn't had a good sleep in the past 6 years, specially in the past 2 weeks (literally slept 6 hours two weeks ago and hadn't slept for 24 hours the day i almost committed suicide). thankfully, i got sleep, long needed sleep and help and rehabilitation, as well as prescriptions for pills that helped me go through those days in the hospital.

one of the biggest worries i had was school, as per usual, and now that this has happened...idk if i can continue in school. i'm already doing terribly academically as last year, and i'm here from reinstated probation, meaning i failed both semesters last year and got expelled but i told the dean of students that i had depression and got reinstated, but ya, doing poorly. not sure if i should work this out still, despite the fact i'll probably most certainly fail, or leave school for the semester to gain back my mental health. I want to do the latter but need more info on how that'll work in my situation as being reinstated and still in probation. would like to hear any suggestions from ya'll older wiser folks

but yeah, that's what's happened i guess. thanks to the people who i know from here and twitter who offered good wishes and support today. <3

and if you're in the same spot as me, please, you are seriously not alone. i know any motherfucker out there says that same cliched shit all the time, but goddamn, it is true. you are not alone and you can pull through, trust me. 

Cine, I'm glad you're still with us dude, seriously.  And I'm glad that you're getting some help.

Yeah man, glad you made it through that. I'm sure you know this, but continuous lack of sleep can really eat away at your wellbeing and lead distorted thoughts that aren't so healthy.

It seems like school is maybe going to be a stressor on you, so maybe it's better to take time for yourself?

It seems like school is maybe going to be a stressor on you, so maybe it's better to take time for yourself?

I'd agree with this.  I wish I had some better advice, but all I can really do is speak from my own experience.  I dropped out of college for a variety of reasons during my original sophomore year, and it took me 2-3 years to really get my feet back under me.  I even moved back in with my mother for awhile to have some more stability in my life.  I just kind of worked and existed during that time, but it was ultimately good for me.  I eventually took some classes at a community college, which proved to be really good for me.  They were (intentionally) easier classes, which was a good confidence booster and I met some good people in a comparatively low stress environment (compared to the really competitive fast track I'd been on originally at university). 

I know a lot of people worry about dropping out because it can be hard to go back, but it is possible and if your health needs you to take a break, take a break. 

Cine, glad you're with us, man.

As a note on the "academia with depression" thing, my girlfriend has been dealing with it for a long time. She found that taking a semester off actually did more harm than good as it contributed to a sense of purposelessness. What she has settled on is a very reduced course-load as the Student Disability Resource Centre at her school considers 2 courses per semester full time with a mental illness. It's taken her an extra couple of years compared to the 5 courses per semester she had been taking, but she'll be finishing her degree this year and has been much more content feeling like she's still doing something than she did when she took time off.

I am glad you're alive too. I know two of my friends both are/have struggled with depression and academic setbacks, I could say the same for myself as well, but I think i'm doing mostly fine now.

I can't give any concrete advice on what to do. The most effective thing is time passing, even though that sounds trite and impractical. It's difficult because we can't control it, and we live in a society that is obsessed with deadlines and competing to be faster than everyone else.

My friend took a year off after failing most of his subjects, but now is back doing his final semester. My other friend admitted himself to hospital yesterday and should be coming back today. I don't know how to say this without it sounding cliched and awkward, but if they can make it so can you.

Never feel bad for asking for a help, and take all the time you need to get better. You have all the time in world, even if it feels like you don't.

Cine I'm very happy you were here to post this.

I came into the thread to bubble about some small happy news, but the fact that you're here and talking with us is much better news than that.

As a note on the "academia with depression" thing, my girlfriend has been dealing with it for a long time. She found that taking a semester off actually did more harm than good as it contributed to a sense of purposelessness. What she has settled on is a very reduced course-load as the Student Disability Resource Centre at her school considers 2 courses per semester full time with a mental illness. It's taken her an extra couple of years compared to the 5 courses per semester she had been taking, but she'll be finishing her degree this year and has been much more content feeling like she's still doing something than she did when she took time off.

I echo everyone else's well wishes, and wanted to quote this part of miffy's post for effect - it sounds like a really good idea to me.

Cine, for whatever little thing it's worth, you are loved around these parts for your insightful, warm, humane posts. Glad to have you here.

Cine we may have dumb quibbles from time to time but you're a cool dude! One day after I've actually played Dark Souls 2, I'd like to watch you stream it!

I'm happy you're still around too, Cine. True story, I was reading the "Ethics" thread just a few days ago, and wondering why you weren't posting anymore, because your posts are always so good and straight to the point. 

Keep on keepin' on, Cine, you're a stellar person and a Post Wizard.

I'll echo all the thoughts on taking a semester off. Miffy's post especially hits the nail on the head; taking that time off is crucial, and following up by working a reduced course load or a part time job helps tremendously with structure.

I want to be devil's advocate here and say Cine is a mega loser who smells bad.

Dude, no. Not even as a joke.