gdf

Life

There's a hipster bar here called The Laundromat, which used to be an actual laundromat, just a block or two down the street from another laundromat also called The Laundromat.

There has been so much needless confusion.

There is a craigslist, but it's proper dodgy. I've been looking on Gumtree (essentially the same thing) and they're pretty damn rare. Contacted a few people who were selling them for about £50, but never got a response, so I guess they already sold them. Getting one into my car might also be a bit of a nightmare! 

I think I'm going to go to a laundrette (laundromat) for the first time in my life this weekend. Super excited!

It's not too bad, just bring a book or take a nice walk with a timer on your phone to remind you.

I don't know how common they are, but there are laundromats in my area that are also bars. They always have clever names like Sip 'n Spin.

I haven't seen one of those, I think I may have to start a business.

Even better, we can make a + shaped building with the bar in the middle, arcade on one side, laundromat on the other, and one of those stupid dog grooming places at the top.

weird question but: does anyone have any suggestions for good but not hugely expensive (or heavy) bookends?

I'm thinking of putting up a big set of 238cm long shelves and I want to break them up a little so it's a little easier to create sections, and to add and remove books in general.

Because I have quite a few graphic novels and hardbacks I'm not sure traditional L shaped bookends will do the job.

What I ideally want (but can't find anywhere) is the same sort of clamp on section dividers my library used to do but no one seems to do them these days and all I seem to be able to find is a flimsy clip on plastic thing.

If all else fails I'm going to get some nice looking shelf brackets and put them upside down on top of the shelves, but this has the obvious disadvantage of being very inflexible once they are screwed into the wall.

The Cove, close to the San Antonio College, started out as a laundromat. Then they opened up a car wash, so people can wash their cars too, made sense. Then they opened up a little food place, so you can eat while you wash things. Food was good so it soon evolved into local-food-only fancy hippie establishment. So they built a bar, have live shows. Then they grew out a beer garden with a playground in the middle, and annexed some kind of dwelling that they turned into a party rental house. You can still do your laundry there.

weird question but: does anyone have any suggestions for good but not hugely expensive (or heavy) bookends?

I'm thinking of putting up a big set of 238cm long shelves and I want to break them up a little so it's a little easier to create sections, and to add and remove books in general.

Because I have quite a few graphic novels and hardbacks I'm not sure traditional L shaped bookends will do the job.

What I ideally want (but can't find anywhere) is the same sort of clamp on section dividers my library used to do but no one seems to do them these days and all I seem to be able to find is a flimsy clip on plastic thing.

If all else fails I'm going to get some nice looking shelf brackets and put them upside down on top of the shelves, but this has the obvious disadvantage of being very inflexible once they are screwed into the wall.

DY06ilP.jpg

My parents always just used decorative steins they had lying around for bookends, so I inherited their just-use-something-kinda-heavy-that-you-might-like-to-display-as-bookends philosophy. This has ended in me using a signed book in a display box as a bookend, but it looks fine so whatever.

Or just use what my roommate did on her bookshelf: Dildos.

[Previously, on "Hermie's life": 2 years ago I ended up in a situation where I had to either let my long-distance girlfriend get away, or abandon my friends and everything else and move to another country with her. I chose my girlfriend, packed my bags, and moved from Norway to Sweden. We've ended up kinda lonely, and have been trying to find an opportunity to move back to Norway.]

Yesterday I finally got the chance I'm waiting for. I've gone to two interviews for a really cool job in Oslo, and I got the formal job offer on friday. But while waiting for this, I got a tip that a position was opening up in the Oslo office of my current job. I called the boss there on friday, and he basically said "Well, everyone in the group appreciate you and think you would be the person that would best fit in with them." The pay and benefits is around the same as the external job.

So now history repeats itself, I have to make ANOTHER grand binary choice with a short deadline and a bunch of unknowns that could shape my future. Still not convinced my life isn't run by Ed Harris with a headset and turtleneck.

The external job is to be the publisher/curator of the streaming service of a cable provider. I would pick the highlights for the front page, publish news to the website and facebook, write summaries, and so on. As I have a film degree this speaks to me a lot, but they have a very mainstream focus, so I'm slightly nervous that the day-to-day can end up feeling soulless or have too much administration stuff.

The internal job is similar, but for an electronics retailer, publishing products like computers, accessories and video games with their product text and images. But it also includes setting the prices every day, to make sure they are matching the competitors, and also planning and ordering the products to the online shop and to the stores. So it's more number-crunching, which I don't particularly care for, but it's within a framework where I already know everyone and the products, systems and whatnot. In addition, I'm sitting on a bunch of frustrations from 2 years of customer service, and would finally be in a position to change things.

So do I choose the new shiny job, that might be really cool, but could also be a let-down in the long run? In a new, giant company where I don't know anyone? Or do I choose the small office where I know everyone and get along with them, but where the tasks themselves are a little less appealing?

I'll of course try to negotiate a bit back and forth to see if any of them would actually up the salary to secure me, but I'm terrified of doing so in case I go too far.

This is of course a way better choice than the one I had to make two years ago, but it's still a conundrum with no clear solution, that will vastly affect how the next couple of years of my life will look like.

Wasn't the point to move back close to people who know you, though? It doesn't seem like you're treating this as a factor.

Oh right, sorry didn't notice.

You can't really judge a job because it might be a let down in the long run. A lot of things can change in a job for the better or for the worse and they're tough to predict. To me it sounds like you're trying to justify staying in your comfort zone at your current company when the new job sounds pretty cool.

The new job sounds like it might give you experiences that would match with other long term goals better (being as you have the film degree). 

Also, you would be a curator.  Go forth, and curate. 

I went to see Kate Bush Live this weekend. It was amazing and entirely mental. Loved it.

Currently contemplating doing a 30 week android development course. This is just over a year after I've finished a 4 year animation course (which was much more arty than techy, just to clarify).

The pros are mostly that I could learn more programming in a formal environment rather than my rough and loose experimentation of being self taught.

And I know I feel better when I have a structured schedule to fit to than when I'm free to manage my own time.

Also I'd get a 'qualification' I could put on my CV I guess.

The only real con is... it would probably be quite time consuming and what if it's terrible, teaches me little and ends up being not worth it? And I don't know if I could just opt out part of the way through if it wasn't much good because that might affect my unemployment money unless I have a good reason to stop.

I am leaning more towards trying it but I'm trying to get info about the course first. Basically all I have to lose is time... but time is increasingly precious.

Can you look up reviews and whatnots? Why do you want to learn programming? to what end?

I've had good luck just buying books and working through them, rather than taking a real class, but I suppose that's up to learning style. I guess the real question is how much will it cost and what would you be doing with that time if you weren't taking the class.

I looked up info but mostly found other people unsuccessfully trying to ask if anyone had tried them.

I do generally like the book method but am less motivated to regularly take steps through, I'm more likely to occasionally make progress and I may or may not finish them.

Costwise, it's free because it's a scheme for jobseekers. It might even result in a small bump up of my payment but they're vague on that. Either way, money's not an issue. It's really about potentially wasting time.

Also I meant to say that this thing refers to the usual 'work placement' buzzword but doesn't clarify what it would entail.

If I wasn't doing this, I'd continue with some freelance art stuff and working on game ideas by myself while looking for work. I've emailed asking if they can tell me any more about the course anyway. I'm probably leaning more towards doing it, but I'm jaded and arrogant, thinking that a lot of formal education is poorly organised and less effective than me working by myself (as long as I get over my difficulty with self-motivation)

Well if it's free there's no reason you couldn't dump it if it doesn't line up with your goals, right?

Well if it's free there's no reason you couldn't dump it if it doesn't line up with your goals, right?

if it is sponsored by social welfare they wouldn't be too happy with your just dropping it, bar you getting a job instead. That said, you should totally do it if you think that app work will add to your CV. Worst case, you get some animation work and just get them to write you a letter saying you are a full time employee.

Ah, sorry, I'm not familiar with that. The most we have around here are single day courses that take the place of searching for jobs for that week as far as unemployment eligibility goes.

I haven't been around much in the forums because I've been pretty busy. Mainly because I managed to find a new job! Yay!

I've not been too vocal about it, but I really dislike my current job. Now not only am I changing job, but I'm also relocating! Bye Bye Cambridge! Hello Leeds!

My apologies to Ben X for leaving him alone in Cambridge.

I need to find a new job, but I'm super depressed and finding it difficult to get motivated.

I haven't been around much in the forums because I've been pretty busy. Mainly because I managed to find a new job! Yay!

I've not been too vocal about it, but I really dislike my current job. Now not only am I changing job, but I'm also relocating! Bye Bye Cambridge! Hello Leeds!

My apologies to Ben X for leaving him alone in Cambridge.

WHAAAT?! Goddammit.

Oh, and well done, I guess. What's the new job?