gdf

Life

So today I called my grandma in Odessa/Ukranian. And she said things are ok. It's been pretty hard for the last two months going about my day to day life without worrying my ass of on an hourly basis :(

Very happy for you Miffy! I'm so glad you got the job! Is a 5th grade to 8th(?) a normal thing in Canada?

In fact that makes way more sense than 1st-5th, 6th-8th, and 9th-12th.

I must have missed what happened with you Quak0r...

Very happy for you Miffy! I'm so glad you got the job! Is a 5th grade to 8th(?) a normal thing in Canada?

In fact that makes way more sense than 1st-5th, 6th-8th, and 9th-12th.

It varies by province. Every province in Canada runs its own educational system. In Alberta, typically it's K-6, 7-9, and then 10-12. K-4, 5-9 (like the school I'm starting at), and 10-12 is an option though, and some parents opt for that. Because of this, the school I'm starting at has two entry points; one for students who are starting in the fifth grade, and another for those who start in grade 7 after going to a K-6 school. I've never been in a middle school myself, so this will be a new thing for me. I started school in Ontario, which only has two divisions, K-7, and then 8-12. I came to Alberta in grade 8, so while I would have been entering high school in Ontario, I was actually just kind of dumped in the middle of Jr. High school here. The transition never having been something I've experienced myself, I'm interested to see how the structure works for students here.

Miffy, that is tops blooby. Congratulations! I would post that .gif of Jim Jones going "ballin'" right here, but IIRC rules stipulate no .gifs outside .gif threads, so uh... just follow this link, I guess? Who Ballin'? You Ballin.

Quak0r, I hope everything is okay with your family in the Ukraine. It is a crying shame that mainstream media has "moved on" from what's going on there when it is still an utter nightmare.

Miffy, that is tops blooby. Congratulations! I would post that .gif of Jim Jones going "ballin'" right here, but IIRC rules stipulate no .gifs outside .gif threads, so uh... just follow this link, I guess? Who Ballin'? You Ballin.

Is that a rule?!

tumblr_lxx4mammfD1qdc3qko1_500.gif

I broke the rule.

Gifs are allowed, but you have to pronounce it correctly.

(it's jiff)

Gifs are allowed, but you have to pronounce it correctly.

(it's jiff)

Right. The opposite of how you pronounce gib.

Let me tell you, when i was told there was a gif of Jim Jones saying "ballin'", I was expecting kool-aid to figure into it somehow.

I'm getting unhealthily interested in that gif. What is it representing? I think it's a physics thing?

I think it is pretty technobabble. Unless it somehow links vector math, geometry and modular arithmetic.

Google image search brings up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics

I will not read it because my head will hurt.

I found the relevant caption! 

Feynman replaces complex numbers with spinning arrows, which start at emission and end at detection of a particle. The sum of all resulting arrows represents the total probability of the event. In this diagram, light emitted by the source S bounces off a few segments of the mirror (in blue) before reaching the detector at P. The sum of all paths must be taken into account. The graph below depicts the total time spent to traverse each of the paths above.

You're right though, it's pretty much insane. I'm pretty sure quantum mechanics people are just all in on some sort of gag to make the rest of us feel dumb.

It seems to be just a visual/geometrical representation of some abstract idea about probability according to Feynman's view on quantum whatever

Funnily enough, it's a way to represent even more indecipherable mathematical calculations to be more friendly.