gdf

Life

Fuck, I thought that would get me to a new page.

YES!

:wtz::stan::miyamoto::hypnotoad::oldman::violin::eyebrow::kiss::gaming:   :worship:  :woohoo:  :owned:  :frusty:  :devil:  :ancient:  :nuts:  :hitler::wtf:

Man, has anyone else noticed that Ben is really reaching for attention lately?

In life news, I'm still on the substitute teacher roster for this year after 3 job interviews. Each time, I'm getting interviews for early elementary positions (last one was first grade) and being told that with my approach and sense of humour (wordplay), I'd be incredibly well-suited to middle school. Every single principal I talk to tells me that they're sure I'll have a job very soon and that they're recommending me to anyone they know who needs a teacher for older elementary, and as much as I know that they're right and appreciate that they're still helping me along despite not hiring me, it's still getting frustrating. Being on a pair of contracts last year let me save up enough that the money doesn't run out until December, so I'm not hurting or anything, but shit is it frustrating spinning my wheels here. Blugh.

As a sub, do you have to reapply everywhere every time a school year starts? What happened with the thing where you were locked out of assignments?

I don't know how it works with other boards, but I have a woman at the downtown office who works kind of like an agent. She has me on file as a young male teacher who wants to work with elementary students, and any time a job that would fit that comes up, she advocates on my behalf to the principal of that school, at which point I go in for an interview. If I get a temporary contract, when that contract runs out I default back to the substitute teacher list and take calls until the next contract rolls around. Right now I am without contract, but have had a few interviews and will probably get something in the next few months. Maternity leaves happen kind of a lot. I am working for the school board still, despite having no formal job, and am expected to be available to work as a sub a minimum of three days a week (so taking any other work aside from Friday nights/Saturday days at a Starbucks as I currently am is not an option). I am employed by the school board until I (or they, I suppose) decide that I'm not anymore, so I don't need to reapply or anything. I just go back into reserves when I'm not on full-time.

Could you expand on this one a little bit?

Yeah, not really sadly. I've heard that figured stated as "A majority of Russian born after the 80's have at least one congenital disorder.", but not for a long time, and upon reflection I've never seen any study to support that. I'm mostly speaking to the preponderance of chemical, industrial or nuclear aftereffects of the Soviet Union's complete disregard for environmental or health concerns, and the anecdotal stuff I've heard about the normality of birth defects there. I can't easily find any data right now, but then again I'm guessing Russia isn't super into publishing that kind of stuff. At the very least, most of the military analysis I've read about the readiness of Russia makes note of it. They do indeed have issues finding enough young men and women healthy enough to fill uniforms. 

"General Nikolai Makarov said only 11.7% of young men aged 18-27 were eligible for the army service but 60% of them had health problems and could not be drafted under law."

Also, thank you everyone for being both nice and jokey about first page post angst. I have social anxiety issues that invade the digital medium, and even if wasn't meant to be, it was oddly comforting. I also didn't know about the star thing and assumed everyone who reads that page is going to see whatever inane shit I said first thing. Good to know. For the record, Twig said it right:

Most of my posts are completely vapid and often incredibly stupid to boot, so when they're accidentally the top of a new page, I feel inclined to apologize to the world in my own way.

Miffy, your school system confounds me.

After a ridiculous time, I'm getting my thesis accepted today. I'll be a qualified English teacher on the 25th. I don't feel anything yet apart from a slight disappointment at the grade of my thesis.

WTF Miffy, that's some grade A nonsense! You've been on top of the whole teaching thing for so long and job shit is still fucked up and bullshit? Makes no sense! You should call Canada's Royal Ombudsman for Meritocracy and tell him what for.

:pan:

:devil:

Speaking of teaching, that Teach Kids to Program Arty Video Games Extracurricular Program Thing I mentioned in the dev forum is in the bag! I bagged it. Ooh yeah. Job pimp over here. :woohoo:

I have until Oct 4th to figure out what to teach, learn to teach, and then proceed not to fuck it up for at least a semester. Direct any pointers you may have for a green teacher type into that thread.

It's not THAT weird. As it's my second year as a professional, I'm stuck in the temp cycle, where I go from temporary contract (usually a maternity leave) to sub roster and back to temp contract for a few years. After a while, the stars may align and a principal likes me, has me on staff as a temp, and has enough budget to make a real position for me. At that point, I will be offered a probationary contract. This is just a fancy way of saying that I have my very own class rather than taking over someone else's because they have to be away for a while. After two years of probationary contract, they have to decide to either boot me back to the sub roster or give me a permanent contract, at which point I will only ever be a sub again if I choose to be and, even when switching schools, they have to have a full position for me. Kinda like elementary school tenure.

At the moment, I don't feel slighted by this. I have exactly one year of experience and don't feel like I've been "on top" of anything for any time. I've been told that I'm talented by a lot of people, but there is SO MUCH that I have no idea about just due to a lack of experience. Having a good rapport with kids and an enthusiasm for the subjects your teaching is one of the most important things, and I've got that, but there are loads of practical things that I can only get good at by bouncing around and experiencing as much as I can in this temp cycle while I'm here.

Ah, ok. Seemed like you've been warming benches for longer for some reason. Rigidly structured institutions!

guys i officially accepted my new job i'm excited and also not excited because now i'm stressin' out about failing at doing the job properly once i start because I CAN'T BE HAPPYYYYYYYYYY

also i'm signing a lease on an apartment before i see it in person so... i hope that doesn't screw me over

guys i officially accepted my new job i'm excited and also not excited because now i'm stressin' out about failing at doing the job properly once i start because I CAN'T BE HAPPYYYYYYYYYY

also i'm signing a lease on an apartment before i see it in person so... i hope that doesn't screw me over

CONGRATS!

:clap::stan::woohoo:

In uni me and some friends got a house together. The only person who had seen it was my friend Dave's mum, who said it was fine. My dad remarked "for all we know, Dave could live in a caravan". The house was a kip.

M1ZxWSI.jpg

This is my block right now. Trees are downed on nearly every block in the city because of crazy snowfall weighing them down. Loads of places are without power. Since I'm not subbing today, I got called in to the starbucks that I work weekends at to load my car up with milk to move to a place a few neighbourhoods over that has functioning electricity. Messed up weather, man.

(Congrats, Twig!)

In uni me and some friends got a house together. The only person who had seen it was my friend Dave's mum, who said it was fine. My dad remarked "for all we know, Dave could live in a caravan". The house was a kip.

I learned pretty quickly to never trust someone called "Dave" and especially don't trust information relayed from a "Dave's mum".

Dave is such a shady name. 

I learned pretty quickly to never trust someone called "Dave" and especially don't trust information relayed from a "Dave's mum".

Dave is such a shady name. 

:getmecoat (I am a Dave)

I once almost put money down on an apartment I hadn't seen. It's a good thing I did see it, because I'm 90% sure the place was a converted prison. It had a communal bathroom and everything.

Yeah, never ever put money down on a place to live you haven't seen.

It's funny cos until now I wasn't aware of my subconscious assumption that Griddlelol's first name is Dave.

I don't have anything against Dave as a first name. Or a last name, for that matter.

Yeah, never ever put money down on a place to live you haven't seen.

Easy to say when you have a choice!