gdf

Life

I don't think internal hires generally count as cronyism. I would think it would be something like an external hire taking the position who is friends with someone involved in the hiring process.

Congratulations, and they are paying you for classes!

I don't think internal hires generally count as cronyism.

When they involve me not getting hired they certainly are!

On a serious note though, congratulations on the promotion! Sounds awesome, especially the ability to add to your education. :)

I'm having some real motivation problems outside of work lately, procrastinating like crazy. Anyone got any tips on how to corral that kind of behaviour? 

I don't know why you guys keep making fun of that stuff, I've experienced nepotism/cronyism in a few cases in life, not just video game careers. I suppose it has to do with the journalism stuff, but I don't want to get involved in the threads to argue against the personal experience of others.

Yeah, my kind of flippant attitude there is definitely influenced by the recent events. Sorry.

I guess this is probably more relevant to another thread, but whatever - I only make jokes because most of the people making the claims have literally no idea what they're talking about. I do think it's a real problem just not in 99% of the cited contexts by the raving mobs of Twitter folk. It doesn't excuse the jokes altogether, but the other part of it is I'm just tired of hearing the refrain when it's just a straw man.

I do feel a little odd getting this promotion because I'm really not qualified, but I imagine there are other factors for my employment aside from favoring internal hires including the fact that I haven't finished my education which means they can pay me less than someone much more qualified.

I guess it's hard for me to know where everyone is coming from because I can't tell if it's always about this stupid commotion about this supposed conspiracy in game journalism, which I don't buy, or the cronyism and nepotism within hires at video game studios, which I 100% buy and have an issue with.

But I think there's a lot of benefits for internal promotions even if you don't know everything you need. It shows confidence that they know you and are comfortable with you and know you will do a good job. Although I hope your dad doesn't own the company.

I guess it's hard for me to know where everyone is coming from because I can't tell if it's always about this stupid commotion about this supposed conspiracy in game journalism, which I don't buy, or the cronyism and nepotism within hires at video game studios, which I 100% buy and have an issue with.

But I think there's a lot of benefits for internal promotions even if you don't know everything you need. It shows confidence that they know you and are comfortable with you and know you will do a good job. Although I hope your dad doesn't own the company.

If my Dad was the Pope, there would be an actual conspiracy and nepotism of the highest proportions (I work at Catholic Charities).

If my Dad was the Pope, there would be an actual conspiracy and nepotism of the highest proportions (I work at Catholic Charities).

If your dad was the pope, then you... he wouldn't... argh.

If your dad was the pope, then you... he wouldn't... argh.

Didn't really stop Alexander VI...

Technically it is theoretically possible to elect a Pope who had fathered children, so JonCole could be the son of a Pope.

#PopeGhazi

Wait... Since surnames like "Smith" usually originate from some ancestor being a smith of some kind, that must mean the people with the last name "Pope" are the descendants of popes!

Wait... Since surnames like "Smith" usually originate from some ancestor being a smith of some kind, that must mean the people with the last name "Pope" are the descendants of popes!

Nah, the original version of Pope is pronounced closer to "poppy", because they were all opiate dealers.

(Source: I am making stuff up because I can.)

Nah, the original version of Pope is pronounced closer to "poppy", because they were all opiate dealers.

(Source: I am making stuff up because I can.)

I was curious enough to look this up, and multiple sites confirm that it probably comes from (mocking) nicknames given to people who played popes in pageants or were just haughty and pompous.

I thought nepotism originally applied to nephews, as religious men would 100% not have had any sons.

I thought nepotism originally applied to nephews, as religious men would 100% not have had any sons.

Well, there were actual nephews, which was a fairly common and acceptable practice so long as the sons had clerical training, and then there were "nephews," if you know what I mean.

I know a Bishop, but I'm pretty sure she can in more than just diagonals. 

I never get tired of this joke.

I don't know why you guys keep making fun of that stuff, I've experienced nepotism/cronyism in a few cases in life, not just video game careers. I suppose it has to do with the journalism stuff, but I don't want to get involved in the threads to argue against the personal experience of others.

Humor is my coping method for bullshit.

Part of my job is calling the relatives of refugees living in the US so we can arrange reunification living with or near them. It's one of the last things that's done before they can actually travel away from the horrible countries they're stuck in. Today I had to call the son of a 90-year old man and was notified by the him that his father (the client living overseas) had already passed away. The guy was from of Middle Eastern descent and was openly crying on the phone with me.

This is literally the worst thing that I've had to deal with in this job. FML

In fairness though, it sounds like when things work out that could be one of the most rewarding jobs on the planet. Kudos, man.

I saw Jake at a party at PAX, the DoubleFine party.

Not a joke: He rambled hypothetical scenarios about J Allard for 15 minutes, and then left.

It was a cool, funny experience.