gdf

Life

Try and get them to set it up as a jobs bridge? Probably totally dodgey to do it in that order though! Also, you know if you don't check, the dole office might never find out and since you aren't getting paid nobody is really loosing out...

It can't count as a jobbridge thing, it's a bunch of interns gathered together to work on projects so we're not strictly employed in a company, but it'll still be CV experience and all that. Though I don't think they care about the order you do it in as long as they can claim another person doing jobbridge, in a meeting with my case worker she handed me leaflets and said to give those to employers and maybe suggest they set up on jobbridge if they were thinking of taking me as an unpaid intern.

Everything I've read says I should be still entitled to the payment cause it's a thing that will 'further my jobseeking ability' and since it's indirectly government funded I doubt they'll suspect it's a fake or anything. I'd just rather check now than later.

That's cool. Great to be getting something on your CV!

I'm wary of telling the dole office anything is all. I once went to tell them I was away at my my nana's funeral and I had to sign out for holidays - not available for work for 3 days><

That's cool. Great to be getting something on your CV!

I'm wary of telling the dole office anything is all. I once went to tell them I was away at my my nana's funeral and I had to sign out for holidays - not available for work for 3 days><

Oof, yeah I've heard they're pretty tight on those.

In good news, the guy organising the whole project told me that in previous years people were on Jobseekers during it, so I'm all good. :D

My Internet has died, just in time for the weekend!

Just looked over some of my tax forms and realized that I had misunderstood something and haven't actually paid my taxes. Now I not only still owe, but owe additional interest. And I have a worrying feeling that this means I won't be eligible for next month's GST/HST credit that I was relying on to help bail me out. Right now I'm not even halfway through the month and I'm down to only a few dollars because I can't keep up with my debt. Argh. None of this would have ever happened if I hadn't taken the stupid job that brought me to Moncton and forced me into credit card debt.

Hey I'm getting married Saturday, but it's at a beachhouse we rented in Galveston (from Austin), so I have to leave in five hours to prep there later this afternoon. I'm super nervous and also exhausted as I've been juggling preparations and school projects for the last two weeks.

Then I get back and it's time to keep looking for a part time job!

Wish my luck guys so I don't screw up all the lines I have to say. I hate speaking in public, especially personal things. Assuming I don't tell anyone, is it okay for me to take a drink before I go on?

Woo. Congrats:D

It is ok to take one drink, no more.

Congrats!  Hope it's a great weekend.  Absolutely okay to take a drink.  Pretty much every wedding I've been in, the groom and all his groomsmen took one drink together before the nervewracking parts began.

Hey I'm getting married Saturday, but it's at a beachhouse we rented in Galveston (from Austin), so I have to leave in five hours to prep there later this afternoon. I'm super nervous and also exhausted as I've been juggling preparations and school projects for the last two weeks.

Wish my luck guys so I don't screw up all the lines I have to say. I hate speaking in public, especially personal things. Assuming I don't tell anyone, is it okay for me to take a drink before I go on?

That's awesome! I'm going to crash your wedding, okay?

Congrats Synth! I'm sure you'll do fine! (Also, in my experience a drink is fine, just don't get plastered.)

Have so much fun!  I hope it's so much fun!!

Though I love to drink, I'll throw in a vote for not taking a drink beforehand.  Something about being completely clear-headed (and a nervous wreck) was exactly what I wanted for our ceremony.  But everyone responds to stress differently, so just listen to your body that day!!

God fucking damn it the shitty Dutch team is still in the shitty world cup so i'm going to get even less fucking sleep every time they have a bloody match.

I want to move out of the city centre so bad.

I've been skulking around in this thread for a while now, checking in on you guys to make sure everything was all right, and it's nice to see everyone talking so openly about stuff to strangers on the internet. It feels kind of weird writing out stuff to a bunch of avatars. There's not much to say other than I've been kind of bored recently and that might be the final push into me posting in this thread. It's kind of a self induced boredom though, or more of a limitation on what I can do that costs money. 

I recently got onto a CELTA course (the more generally accepted/expected EU/English Teaching English as a Foreign Language certificate) and I'm currently lodging with a woman and her grandson. I've paid for the course, which was pretty damn expensive, for me at least, and now I'm just saving up so I have something to work with when I get over to Spain. I'm aiming to have around £2000 (~E2300 if I'm being generous) to spend on short term accommodation, like hostels etc., and I've asked a few people in similar situations and they've all said that's a decent-to-doable budget. Anyone have any experience/know anyone who's done something similar? And does anyone have any advice to moving to a new country with a new language?

I kind of believe that boredom is your own fault considering there's so much to do, but I like interacting with other humanoid-sentientoids and society has dictated that costs money, even if it's just grabbing a cup of coffee or eight beers. So I'm having to revert to things that don't cost any money to entertain myself such as improving my guitar playing and playing Guild Wars 2. I'm really enjoying seriously playing guitar now, or making a more concerted effort to improve my abilities. I've had a guitar for about 4 years now, and I've only really been playing for about a year. I've had a seriously rocky relationship with music, and I seem to be going through "Christ, this is fun" period instead of an endlessly frustrating period. Let's see how long that lasts. I've been following the Justin Guitar web series, and I'd say I'm at an intermediate level of playing. Does anyone have any sites/videos/tutorials or general advice for someone at this stage of their journey to eventual Guitar Legend status? 

Btw congrats Synth! 

Haha, I guess I am late to this party. Just drove up from Port Aransas and can confirm it's a pretty sweet weekend to Gulf. Have some belated fun! As for alcohol, I think I was the first one at my wedding to start drinking. It worked, no complaints but then again I get friendlier when I am drunk, others' mileage may vary.

Today I finished writing the first ever year end report cards of my career. Holy shit that's a lot of work. Like, and extra 20 - 30 hours of work a week for two weeks on top of what teachers normally do (which is already minimum 10 hour days) to write those fuckers. But they're done. All the way done. Not looking back. That shit is over. I also had a job interview today for the fall, as the contract I'm on right now is up in two weeks and I'd like to have a new job at the start of the new school year. Substituting wouldn't be so bad, at least I'd just have a 7-8 hour day and then go home, but there's also way less pay and respect from kids. Also, one of the main reasons to teach is to actually get to know and work with kids, which is hard to do in the space of a day. Still, after how much trouble I've had with this class, the idea of not taking my work home with me for a few months is very appealing. The class I interviewed for today is grade 5-6 in the roughest neighbourhood in the city. If I thought this class was tough, this new one has actual gang fights breaking out in it (seriously, a friend who worked their about 5 years ago had to deal with that in her class)! Still, this is how teachers get their start. You get the tough schools until you have the seniority for the cushier jobs. I'm torn as to how much I want that gig, but if nothing else living through that will make me a better teacher.

Blugh. This is not how tired I should be after a weekend. I still have to be on for another week and a half of classes yet. I need sleep real bad. Still, summer is almost here and things are actually getting accomplished, so I'm feeling pretty good. Whee! I survived my first year in an actual career!

This weekend my book Pindakaas en Sushi had its debut on the biggest Japanese festival in the year, Anime 2014 at The Hague. I had a booth there and sold almost 90 copies! I'm the dude on the right. To the left side is a certain two-lettered forum member, a rare specimen who once owned a battleship. Through no agreement between the two of us, we both nevertheless wore plaid.

004teamleeuwenhart.jpg

But that's not all: the Dutch NOS news swooped by for an item on Japanese fan culture. They had asked me to give them a tour and explain what made this hobby so enduring and fun, and the result was on the air last friday and can be seen here: http://nos.nl/op3/video/660945-.html

So a pretty dull, average weekend in other words.

Congrats! The lady on the right kinda looks like she has a butt sticking out of her dress at shoulder height. Is your book in the plug your own shit section? I should have asked you for some samples on skype the other day!

Did you make sure to sneak in a jar of peanut butter onto the table for that picture?