gdf

Life

I feel like it's only older American toilets that tend to clog. They use way more water and work way less efficiently, you can rest easy there will be no problems when one holds about 1.5 gallons and has a high pressure flush. Maybe the newer ones work like the Australian ones?

That's life man.

Good, I thought it'd be more about pipe size and not water depth. GLAD I WAS RIGHT AND NOT WRONG.

I remember using a toilet in Japan (not a talking one, but I've used those too) that had a basin on the top of the tank.  When you flushed the toilet, instead of immediately filling the tank, the water would first empty into the basin so you could wash your hands with it.  The water would then drain into the tank to be used to flush the toilet the next time.  Seemed like a pretty efficient use of water to me.

Basically this

caromaflush3.jpg

My college had extremely modern low-flow toilets. They never clogged. The reason old toilets clog is, like Merus kinda said, too much water through too small pipes. With a nice low-flow toilet, sometimes you need to flush twice to get everything down, but it barely ever clogs because the water pressure's simply not high enough.

I don't feel bad about introducing this topic at all. This was my night last night. The best I can do is make conversation out of it.

Why is it you're seeing it? Do you work together or have common friends or something?

mmhmm, pretty much!

I don't wanna cause turbulence or drama, it seems like everyone else is enjoying themselves. Sometimes I am too, it's a nice summer! Just every now and then I'll fall back down this well and struggle to climb back up out of it, it's hard.

Are you the toilet bowl, and this scenario is the gigantic poo that is blocking your pipes?

Yeah that sounds shit. I broke up after years not long ago, and it's been fairly straightforward getting on with life precisely because there's been literally zero contact. It's not easy deleting numbers, restricting Facebook, and all that but absolutely necessary for emotionally moving on. Remaining friends just isn't an option for me.

I'm not sure what I'd do if she were in my social circle, though. Probably end up moving away, as extreme as that sounds. I couldn't deal with that whether it be after days or years.

When we redid the bathrooms in our house, we went with the low flow toilets that use half as much (or less) as traditional American toilets.  I had several friends who thought it was a terrible idea, that they would clog all the time and be much dirtier.  Not in our experience though.  We have clogged them, but it's been exceedingly rare.  I do feel like they are a bit dirtier, but you just grab the brush and give them a good scrub now and again. 

I find the argument of a toilet being dirtier than another type of toilet to be kind of a stupid argument... even a little shit is too much shit.

Well, it all comes down to how much you have to scrub off said shit. I'm not sure how UK toilets compare to elsewhere, but there's sufficient water in the bowl that you don't end up with smeared sides very much because the shit is never exposed to the sides of the bowl without loads of water in the way — my logical side tells me that a toilet with less water inside will mean there's more often shit just piled against the bowl in its purest form, leading to it beginning to dry and adhere much more readily. Of course, gut consistency and defecation intensity will cause all kinds of different scenarios.

For what it's worth, ever since I mixed in a daily helping of yogurt, my toilet bowl is much cleaner. 

Probiotics: Good for you, good for your toilet.

what have I done

Our toilets here in my office building "save 75% more water." I've often pondered the fact that, since flushing a regular toilet only takes about two gallons of water, you're "saving" (in other words, not spending) all the rest of the water in the system. Thus our toilets must be bending the properties of time and space to almost double our total water supply. If we have two of them, does that triple or quadruple our water supply? Do we have to pay for all that extra water?

I have now officially been reading about toilets and poop all day. Well played, Thumbs.

For what it's worth, ever since I mixed in a daily helping of yogurt, my toilet bowl is much cleaner. 

Probiotics: Good for you, good for your toilet.

Kombucha with Yogurt does wonders!

Also, life is motherfucking great. The person I'm seeing is going well and I'm going to be cooking dinner for her tomorrow.

Kombucha with Yogurt does wonders!

Also, life is motherfucking great. The person I'm seeing is going well and I'm going to be cooking dinner for her tomorrow.

Speaking of Kombucha...

I've been considering not drinking alcohol at home.  I tend to go for outlandish flavored cocktails or beers, so I was thinking of replacing my drinking habit with a kombucha habit.  It's the only drink I can think of that hits all sorts of weird flavors (that I find satisfying).  There's also the need to replace the "effect" of drinking alcohol with something else that has an "effect" on my body.  I think the placebo effect from the anecdotal stories about how it helps to fight cancer seems like a positive trade with the slight inebriation I tend to feel 4-5 nights a week.

Plus it's cheaper!

mmhmm, pretty much!

I don't wanna cause turbulence or drama, it seems like everyone else is enjoying themselves. Sometimes I am too, it's a nice summer! Just every now and then I'll fall back down this well and struggle to climb back up out of it, it's hard.

I know it's not exactly the same, but shortly before Christmas my ex told me that she was seeing someone else and that it was serious. The next couple months were really hard for me, even though I had been the one to break it off. I was in pain all the time and didn't really know what to do about it. I think I just got used to it.

So what I'm saying is, good luck and I feel for you.

I had never heard of Kombucha before, but the first paragraph on Wikipedia alone is enough for me to not.

I had never heard of Kombucha before, but the first paragraph on Wikipedia alone is enough for me to not.

That was exactly my reaction as well.

Toilet adjacent anxiety

<2wks ago I had my first level floors ripped up and replaced with all hardwood laminate (the click-lock stuff).  anyways looks great except in the bathroom next to the sewer pipe was an abundance of moisture, whereas the relative humidity of the floor measured ~x2.5-3 more than the rest of the slab.

After several difficult conversations with the installers, their managers, and my wife it was decided to override the manufacturers warranty and install anyways.  The alternative is to wait for the humidity to go down or call a plumber, neither of which have any guarantees of repair or timeframe

Long story short - installed, voided the warranty for that room because it was higher than mfg's tolerances, but its installed and my wife and i are talking again =D

But now im paranoid that the floor is already starting to buckle and swell from water.  I am imagining humidity seeping through the face of the floor when i see moisture footprints.  If this toilet ever clogs and overflows i'll certainly go into full panic

Barring some kind of catastrophe at work, tomorrow night should be my last night shift for a while.  I am really looking forward to a long weekend to get back on a daylight schedule, but mostly I want to play Transistor.