gdf

Life

"Finished" my move, as in all the boxes are at the new place and the keys have been turned in. New place is still a mess, but a 64 inch TV somewhat makes up for that fact. I even got to enjoy one day of my week long vacation from work.

Speaking of the locations that we all decide to live, the new place is about $200 more expensive than we wanted to pay for, but my wife and I decided that it was worth it to live in an area that we were excited to live in, rather than one we were just putting up with. I realize that not everyone has those sorts of options but, if you can, living somewhere you enjoy is a great confidence builder.

Speaking of the locations that we all decide to live, the new place is about $200 more expensive than we wanted to pay for, but my wife and I decided that it was worth it to live in an area that we were excited to live in, rather than one we were just putting up with. I realize that not everyone has those sorts of options but, if you can, living somewhere you enjoy is a great confidence builder.

My new place is also $200 over budget, but similarly it was the right fit for me and my girlfriend, and we really needed to get out over our present "it's shitty but we can deal with it" apartment. We haven't moved yet, we have keys and will be moving boxes over during the week, the big move is scheduled for Friday. Much to do between now and then, much stress, wow.

Throw out as much as you can and don't worry about keeping things that are alike in the same box. In the end, you'll just be sweeping everything that you can into whatever box is closest. Oh, and make sure you don't pack boxes so heavy that you can't lift them. I learned that during my last move, and this move went much smoother as a result.

Well, after just moving and having basically nothing else to entertain myself with at home due to no internet access yet and my utter reliance on it for TV, films, and music, my PS3 just died — with me about 90% (70+ hours) through GTA5. Fucking Christ.

Managed to get a quick backup of my saved games for GTA5 as the PS3 can survive like 30 seconds before giving up, although I suspect it won't boot at all soon. It also turns out you can't just plug the hard drive into another PS3 because it's all encrypted.

Is it possible to plug the hard drive in to a PC and get all of your old save data off of it?

You may even be able to just swap the HDD into a new PS3 if the drive itself is okay.

For the last two days on my way to work I've driven by a pile of garbage on the side of the road.  What I find interesting about it is that someone put a cardboard sign next to it that says "WHY???".  This person clearly went out of their way to do this.

Following up on this, the garbage pile disappeared soon after I made the post, but recently a poem sprung up in it's place, stapled to telephone poles around the area.  It says

"Throw it away, at home or at work.  Not out the car window, love the Earth"

I bought my ticket to the East Coast Comic Expo today. Still don't know how I'm getting there, but there's no backing out now! I also bought a book that I wanna' get Kate Leth to sign. She is neat. OuO

Throw out as much as you can and don't worry about keeping things that are alike in the same box. In the end, you'll just be sweeping everything that you can into whatever box is closest. Oh, and make sure you don't pack boxes so heavy that you can't lift them. I learned that during my last move, and this move went much smoother as a result.

This is good advice, I need to put you in touch with my girlfriend.

I went to MUOhio for undergrad. Took my GRE at UC. Still miss WOXY/97X.

Current life status: hate my current life status.

Are you saying that you want to go back to Ohio?

This is pretty good advice. I treat moving as a way of getting rid of half my stuff each time. Currently down to Not That Much and pretty sure I could have less.

Also, if you can stand them aesthetically, I heartily recommend boxes that can double as furniture:

Zl7Rtne.jpg

These ones are called laycorn boxes, and have internal racking for shelves moulded into them. Bags of clothes pad them for moving, and once they're stacked, the metal lids pop off to reveal everything on shelves already. They need two people (or a trolley) to move them ideally, but they've taken so much of the pain out of moving house.

This is good advice, I need to put you in touch with my girlfriend.

I'm having the same problem with my wife. She put it off too long so we ended up just scooping everything she owns into random boxes and now she's having to sort through it at the new place instead.

It's such a shame that the song really doesn't work in Australia. It's pretty nippy today.

Just started playing that song, and the wife looks at me and says, "Nuh uh, it's fucking cold outside."

My undergrad enrollment deposit deadline is today. I have a choice of either going to my local state university and risking a sophomore year transfer to the school that I wanted to go to but wasn't admitted, or going to a more expensive out of state private school. I'd be doing CS at either.

The former choice is obviously smarter (especially because I always hear the undergrad school you go to doesn't matter) but I feel strangely opposed to this idea of being so close to home while experiencing something that should feel liberating and empowering, while watching friends go to ivies and pretending to congratulate me. Which is a really dumb thing to care about but it's still there and weird.

I realize that a video game podcast forum is no place to whine about the charmed life I've lived up till now, but this decision feels weirdly momentous even though all signs point to this being a non-issue.

edit: man lol im a big ol baby

My student loan deferral period has ended, and now they're asking me for money again.

I still don't have a job.

Life is fucking wonderful.

Transfer admission processes and quotas are a lot different than freshmen admission. I'd check with your target university (if you haven't already) to make sure that going somewhere else won't make it harder for you to get in. If you've already done that or are set on going to college this year regardless, I'd take the cheaper option. Your first year classes aren't likely to be that different between the two and it will be a lot more likely you'll be able to transfer credits from a basic state university. Make sure when you pick classes that your target university will accept those credits in a transfer. I got boned out of almost half a year's credits transferring from my community college to a university.

I decided to do the 30 day cold shower challenge. I've heard people claim there are all sorts of health benefits from cold showers, that it's good for your skin, immune system etc. I don't know about those things, but it is a good willpower exercise. You definitely get better at overcoming hesitation, and you gain an appreciation for how long five minutes is. I might continue with them because it's a habit now, plus it makes you feel refreshed and alert whereas hot showers make me a little drowsy. It might be that the water's gotten slightly warmer, but I think you build up cold tolerance. The first time I got shortness of breath and couldn't really wash myself because my arms were shivering too much haha, but that got better.

I lose power at my house 5-6 times a year, sometimes for days. One of my favorite things about it is the cold showers. I have a hard time doing it voluntarily, but when it's the only option the experience is fun and novel.

You damn nutters. When I'm about to walk out into the UK's invariably cold/wet weather, the last thing I'm doing is having anything but a lovely, warm shower. :tup:

I went to the comic shop for Free Comic Book Day! I got some manga I've been meaning to read for 40% off, plus got the free Bongo Comics issue and the one about the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. I wanted to get the Boom Studios  one too, but it was all gone. The lineup went all the way up to the second floor (and apparently looped back down to the ground floor earlier this morning), so I was in line for a good long while. Me and the guy next to me chatted it up about Ghost Rider, Lumberjanes, and how Captain Marvel sucks now that he's called Shazam and has lightning powers.

Are you saying that you want to go back to Ohio?

pffffffffffhahahahahahahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Capt. Hastings and I had a lovely night. First we played Netrunner (she was Weyland, I was Kate). She won the game 7-6, but not before laughing uncontrollably about how poor my luck was; I had run on R&D about 8 times, trying to get a final point. That was after I had accessed HQ and picked what she claims is the only card in her hand of 5 that was not an agenda.

Then we had a dance party where we watched Youtube videos of EXO's dance practices and tried to mimic them. I need to focus on keeping my posture up and get some foot-work into my muscle-memory and then start doing arm movements. Last night I found out that EXO has a back-story where they are extraterrestials with super-natural powers. One of them is a unicorn, one is a dragon, but yet all of them are wolves somehow. Also, the business model for that boy-band is interesting. They have two groups, one half is chinese, the other half is Korean. They all perform in the videos, but then split up to double their touring capacity. Its brilliant.