gdf

Life

Man, I'm super bummed now.  I just learned, in the weirdest way, that my favorite bar in the world closed and sold to someone else.  I was reading this article, from Boston of all places, about Wichita State basketball.  It quoted the owner of Scott Rec, a pool hall in my home town.  And I was like, "Who the fuck is that guy?  Jim owns that bar."  Turns out Jim sold the place a couple of months ago. 

I'd been going to that place for more than 20 years.  Played pool and shuffleboard in the afternoons there when I was in high school.  I only get back there a few times a year now, but it's a requirement to drop in and have a beer, chat with the old regulars and catch up.  I've known some of the regulars there since I was a toddler, since they were friends with my old man.  It's the only place I've ever felt like Norm from Cheers.  I'm bummed I didn't have a chance to go back and have one more drink before Jim called it quits. 

Pro Tools is some crazy software yo. It'll take a while to learn. But I need something like it. I'm making my own "ironically funny male pop hit" ala Party Rock Anthem, Gangman Style, and Thrift Shop. I've got the lyrics. Now I need something to analyze the instrumentals for timing and beats per minute. Just listening to the stuff. It all seems rather simple and straightforward, but I'm being as analytic and scientific as possible.

My hypothesis is basically that I can break down what these songs have in common in terms of instrumentals and lyrics, and then produce my own hit by following the same shared pattern. I was inspired by a recent analysis showing most hit pop songs sound pretty much the same. Oh, also the South Park episode "Faith +1" where Cartman writes weirdly sexual "christian rock" songs and gets a platinum album.

Basically, if anyone can make what would be considered a masterpiece painting today by just copying what others do, why can't the same happen with pop music? There are a million artists as good as Da Vinci in the world today. I see no reason the same can't be done with music.

Pro Tools is some crazy software yo. It'll take a while to learn. But I need something like it. I'm making my own "ironically funny male pop hit" ala Party Rock Anthem, Gangman Style, and Thrift Shop. I've got the lyrics. Now I need something to analyze the instrumentals for timing and beats per minute. Just listening to the stuff. It all seems rather simple and straightforward, but I'm being as analytic and scientific as possible.

My hypothesis is basically that I can break down what these songs have in common in terms of instrumentals and lyrics, and then produce my own hit by following the same shared pattern. I was inspired by a recent analysis showing most hit pop songs sound pretty much the same. Oh, also the South Park episode "Faith +1" where Cartman writes weirdly sexual "christian rock" songs and gets a platinum album.

Basically, if anyone can make what would be considered a masterpiece painting today by just copying what others do, why can't the same happen with pop music? There are a million artists as good as Da Vinci in the world today. I see no reason the same can't be done with music.

That's the best part about super popular pop music: there are literally thousands of other artists making exactly the same "kind" of music who are completely unsuccessful, it's just finding

- a really catchy thing

- words that resonate with millions of people

- arranging and polishing it to match the sound quality of other current popular music

- somehow "reaching" all those millions of people

Which are all pretty much luck-based occurrences...

I'm really curious to hear how it goes for you!!  I'm a long-time Logic user myself, but I've spent some time with Pro Tools, let me know if you have questions about Pro Tools or any of the associated sound engineering stuff on your journey.

This week has been terrible.  Cabot had an oncologist appointment.  His cancer is so aggressive that it's time to plan a goodbye.  We made an appointment next week for the vet to come and euthanize him.

Scott and I are very very sad.

This week has been terrible.  Cabot had an oncologist appointment.  His cancer is so aggressive that it's time to plan a goodbye.  We made an appointment next week for the vet to come and euthanize him.

I'm sorry for your kitty. He seems like a cool guy, but that doesn't matter, because losing a pet is always hard. I'm sure you were good owners and are doing the right thing here, so just do your best and love him for the time you have left.

I'm sorry to hear that subbes.  I've never had a pet so I don't know what losing one is like, but I can't imagine it's an easy thing to get over.  I think Gormongous has it right, fill your final time together with love.

Wow, I'm sorry about that subbes. Like the others here have said, make your time together count.

Wow, I'm incredibly sorry to hear that. I don't know what else to say, he was a trooper. ;(

We made an appointment next week for the vet to come and euthanize him.

That is terribly sad--my sympathies. : (

subbes and shammack I'm sorry about your cat. ):

That is the fucking worst, Subbes and Shammack. Losing a pet is goddamn terrible, and from all I can tell Cabot is a great one. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts this week. You did so much for that cat, and he gave a great fight. 

Sometimes there's a expectation that as adults we shouldn't be upset when our pet dies, that we should somehow be old enough to brush it off with a stoic shrug. That expectation is BS.

Sad to hear this is the way things have turned out Subbes, you have my sympathies.

So sorry to hear about Cabot. At least he was fortunate enough to spend his life with such thoughtful and caring people. If only all kitties could be so lucky.

I'm relatively extroverted, and still do the postmortem bit on conversations I had, replaying them over and over in my head.  Mostly I hate it not for the anxiety it creates, but for the ridiculous amount of mental energy it wastes. 

I'm relatively introverted, I don't think I do postmortem's that much, but I do tend to run simulations of conversations I know I'm going to have beforehand, which can be even worse. I don't think it ever goes according to the simulation (except for trivial stuff). Lately I've successfully managed to stop myself from doing those for too long a few times. But I think it's normal to do it a bit, IMHO it's part of being considerate and not always just blurting out whatever comes to mind.

But sometimes I suddenly think of something I said a couple of days back and think "OMG that was dumb, I totally should have said something different". Or śometimes I'll think of a better response immediately after a conversation is over.

Man oh man. Really sorry to hear. :( :( :(

As Zeus said, he is a lucky cat to have you guys. Give him a hug for me.

edit: the sad face emoticon on this forum is awful 

I can't even handle it when my cat makes weird horking noises and has the sniffles.  Losing a pet is the worst thing.

On another note...

Taking programming courses in grad school with almost zero experience beforehand is turning out to be somewhat ill-advised.  I've been banging my head against not only building and working with arrays in Javascript, but also translating that into web forms via doPost and doGet.  Coding HTML within Javascript is like trying to speak Russian in French right now, and once we start plugging in APIs and doing SQL code on top of all that, it's just going to get harder.  I need to learn this stuff though!  Determination!  Code like the wind!

Everything is still terrible and probably will continue to be terrible for a while.  The vet comes to our house to do the euthanasia tomorrow.  We're spoiling Cabot rotten in the meantime.  

hey subbles, frequent lurker, seldom poster,

thats terrible and never an easy thing.  we lost one of our cat-children year and half ago to jaw cancer.  ive lost human people in my life that didnt break my heart as much as that little guy in the last few weeks

just wanted to share and let know another person is in your corner