gdf

Life

I challenge the idea that I was emotionally manipulated! Also the idea that I defended the article!

You laughed and cried and then got all sarky with Rodi. Something was going on.

Does that exclusively mean I was emotionally manipulated?

Also: laughed OR cried!

Does that exclusively mean I was emotionally manipulated?

Also: laughed OR cried!

No. But I do enjoy goading you.

Unsuccessfully in this case.

Classy! He sounds like a truly pathetic man. I bet it's just as difficult to get fired from a university job in the Netherlands as it is in the UK.

probably! I'm in Australia though :P

i feel like it's almost impossible for that to happen. if someone's attempts at flirtation are taken as sexual harassment, they are definitely flirting wrong. 

Yeah, I tried to be clear that people who end up causing offence are incorrectly identifying where the line is. What I was really getting at is that perhaps it isn't so much a case of there being a 'sexual harassment' problem as it is a 'there are lots of assholes in the world who are so cocky that every attempt at flirting comes across as being a filthy bastard' problem. Without full-on doing away with the whole idea of courting, there's always going to be incidents like this — and alcohol increases those odds tremendously, with bars and clubs being the archetypal home of such behaviour.

Incidentally, my own experience of marketing and PR types across all sectors is that they tend to be complete arse holes. Maybe it's the toxic combination of alcohol and those personalities that leads to these kinds of things. In which case, it's less of a games industry problem and more a problem with having these fucks able to have successful careers in any industry. Sadly that 'gift of the gab' does seem to help get sales, too.

I am making no worthwhile points here. I'm sorry.

I saw this http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/22/things-only-introverts-will-understand-japan-edition/ and laughed or cried because pretty much all of those quotes apply to me, with the caveat that over the past 10 years I've worked to get out of that mindset. I mostly fail, but I definitely try a lot more than I used to. And mostly fail...

The article is definitely more about social anxiety than introversion, because I too can cope just fine with social situations and such but do need quite some time to recuperate from them (i.e. one big night out is me done for a few days). Still, I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the stuff in there and it doesn't strike me as intended to be an awfully serious article.

This though, oh god so me:

After having a chat, I always have a “review meeting” by myself, thinking of all the stuff I should have said.

Still, I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the stuff in there and it doesn't strike me as intended to be an awfully serious article.

That was sort of my impression, too, but I guess some people didn't see it that way! I can understand why people dislike the conflation of introversion and social anxiety - I myself have argued against it on many occasions - but that wasn't really why I linked it in the first place.

Oh well, whatever. I suck at having a social life!

Not sure where to put this, but I managed to hide this in a piece of design I had to mockup today;

I8qebqc.png

Bah. But of course!

Ah well. Can't forget to attribute the quote; 

lsPzxeC.png

probably! I'm in Australia though :P

Well, it's only a couple of countries over, probably the same standards.

No but seriously fuck that guy.

Re: introversion/social anxiety article, yeah I'm introverted but I've only got relatively normal social anxiety. I'll postmortem the shit out of major social interactions though.

Re: introversion/social anxiety article, yeah I'm introverted but I've only got relatively normal social anxiety. I'll postmortem the shit out of major social interactions though.

I'm relatively extroverted, and still do the postmortem bit on conversations I had, replaying them over and over in my head.  Mostly I hate it not for the anxiety it creates, but for the ridiculous amount of mental energy it wastes. 

I'm relatively extroverted, and still do the postmortem bit on conversations I had, replaying them over and over in my head.  Mostly I hate it not for the anxiety it creates, but for the ridiculous amount of mental energy it wastes. 

I've started recording my Spelunky Daily Challenge runs for the Idle Explorers thread.  Having an audio and visual record of my actions has become an act of self flagellation as I can now second guess every decision and word a million times over.

I've started recording my Spelunky Daily Challenge runs for the Idle Explorers thread.  Having an audio and visual record of my actions has become an act of self flagellation as I can now second guess every decision and word a million times over.

You've just convinced me to never record a Daily Challenge, which I had been considering. 

Maybe not though.  I worked in college media for years (audio, video and written), and did a bit of professional journalism work (all newspaper) before moving away from it.  I rarely had the anxiety about the work that I put out to a wide audience that I do with one-on-one or small group conversations.  I wonder if doing something like live streaming would feel more like that professional work, like something more personal, or something completely different?  I may have to try.

my car has broken :devil::fart: just putting it in gear after work and i heard a god awful crutch...no, its was much like a clank. anyway it sounded like the hole engine fell out. i think it might be something wrong with the gearboxy clutchemajig.

I've got breakdown cover who are coming out in 90mins :blink:

but to be fair, i can get back into work and just doss about on my computer and i'll get the breakdown guy to tow me to the garage where the car is already booked in tomorrow anyway (we have a tiny hole in a radiator pipe) so in the grand scheme of cars breaking... i'm in like the top 10% :tup:B)

Although, that CLANK sounded fucking expensive

You've just convinced me to never record a Daily Challenge, which I had been considering. 

Maybe not though.  I worked in college media for years (audio, video and written), and did a bit of professional journalism work (all newspaper) before moving away from it.  I rarely had the anxiety about the work that I put out to a wide audience that I do with one-on-one or small group conversations.  I wonder if doing something like live streaming would feel more like that professional work, like something more personal, or something completely different?  I may have to try.

I'm actually kind of glad I started doing it.  The first few times were exercises in extreme anxiety and self doubt, but as I do more I'm getting used to it and starting to get more comfortable with it.  It doesn't completely remove the neuroses because I'll still pick my performance apart, but it helps to mitigate the feeling of dread.

I still feel too weird to talk much on them, because I feel like anything I can say is utterly mundane and the tiny audience (if any) it'll get it people who are much better than me at Spelunky. The mic is great for catching "Oh fuck no fuck fuck" reactions though.

I still feel too weird to talk much on them, because I feel like anything I can say is utterly mundane and the tiny audience (if any) it'll get it people who are much better than me at Spelunky. The mic is great for catching "Oh fuck no fuck fuck" reactions though.

That's the number one reason I don't do any streaming. I'd love to stream a lot of things I play! But it's like... what's the point. I'm awkward, no one's listening, and even if they were, I'm awkward. But it could be fun! But I'm awkward. But it could be fun! But. But! But.

Butt.

Oh yeah, I'm SUPER awkward.  I sound like an idiot ("Awesome, a jetpack! Best sacrifice ever!"...ugh) because I feel the need to say SOMETHING instead of just having complete silence.  But it won't get any better if I don't do it, so I keep doing it in the hopes that one day I'll having something significant to say.  Or so I tell myself.

Nope. I record not for my insightful monologues, but for my reactions when fucking up and dying. I mostly watch the last minutes of other people's captures, unless there's something I want to see how they handled it.

Death is what it is all about.