gdf

Life

I'd say not to take the mailman position, but that's because reading Bukowski's "Post Office" has given me a knee-jerk reaction of "I don't ever want to be a postal employee." Also I like not talking.

A chest x-ray showed that the cancer has metastasized into Cabot's lungs.  He did not get surgery today.

I'm in communication with our oncologist via e-mail, because we'd like to see if chemotherapy is an option.

Poor Cabot. I hope he comes out okay.

I just played a bunch of Portal to test this gaming keypad I got, and remembered why I don't usually play first-person games. I feel so dizzy and woozy.

From the Life thread:

I have a contract job to show up to some marketing firm to do flash banners for a few days.

From the Campo Santo thread:

Their first release ends up just being a banner ad reading: "Dunk on Obama and win!"

Spill the beans, Synth!

Haha, I would totally love to animate that banner, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with Mr. Vanaman or Obama and if I made the ad all about it, I would not get that sweet, sweet cash. Actually, I have no idea what I'm actually advertising other than it's a bunch of vague talk about "The Cloud."

Also, I want Cabot to get better. ;(

Haha, I would totally love to animate that banner, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with Mr. Vanaman or Obama and if I made the ad all about it, I would not get that sweet, sweet cash. Actually, I have no idea what I'm actually advertising other than it's a bunch of vague talk about "The Cloud."

Obligatory: 

Hope Cabot pulls through! He's basically the Idle Forums mascot at this point.

It's time to start shopping for a rental. So far, it looks like it's not going to be possible to to get a place that meets my expectations for the price we want (big surprise there.) So now it's time to start compromising. I was really hoping to rent a house where we wouldn't have to share walls (or at the bare minimum floor/celings) with other folks, but I don't think I can afford any of the places around here. It would almost be cheaper to keep the 4 bedroom we share now and pay the entire rent ourselves.

I absolutely hate rental shopping.

Well it seems like the Post Office has not gotten back to me yet. I wouldn't even know how to contact those people, there's been so many forms and contacts and e-mails. The temp agency guy seems to have ignored all of my e-mails. Maybe he didn't like me and flaked. It's possible I have no jobs lined up now, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I have a crazy idea. Why not take a day or two to do some nothing-to-lose job searching? Think of some jobs that might allow you to do art during you shift; maybe Austin has parking garage attendants or the hotel people that check people in? And then cold call some possible positions with your proposal. I don't know what you need in order to work on your art, but you do! Tell them why you think their job might work out for you. He is a dramatization, again, I don't know your details so I'm making them up.

Ring Ring

"Hello, this is the Porkshire Hotel, how can I help you."

"Hey, I actually have an odd question: I'm trying to find a job where I can do digital drawings and paintings while I'm on my shift. Can you think of any positions where that would be cool at your hotel?"

"Um... No? I don 't think so. We all stay pretty busy around here (nervous laughter)."

"Yeah, I wasn't sure, can you think of any place where downtime is expected and

1. , I really want to draw."

"Um... The movie theatre?"

"Ok, I'll look into that. Can I give you my name and number in case you all happen to think of something after I hang up?"

"Sure."

Whenever you think of a place where there might be a chance, just call them and waste some people's time. The one's who think it's interesting are probably thebest ones to work with and the ones who get annoyed work a shitty job anyway so fuck that place.

The Porkshire Hotel is a genius name. I had to look it up to make sure you weren't referencing something else.

Stick it in an envelope and mail it to yourself, pronto!

That sounds like a great idea. I really should hit up every hotel I can find. I'll think I'll dedicate next week to it then. I did work at a hotel for a year in college before they switched managers on me and I quit a month later 'cause the guy would never make a schedule or try to convince me to skip school. Either way, before that it was an awesome job and I did a lot of homework and drawing at the front desk between customers.

I was told by the person that hired me for my current job that one of the reasons he decided to hire me was that he understood why I wanted the job. I didn't think they would give me the job during the interview so I just told them the truth: I want a job where I can draw and write, and that the job has similar hours to my wife's so that means I would be able to hang out with her more.

Years later he told me that it made sense to him, so he never had to question what my motives really were or why I would want the job (which was apparently a challenge for him duing the hiring process).

I'm studying abroad in the UK this semester, and next week I'm going to Scotland to do this for a week...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152549652785828.1073741830.381399730827&type=1

I'm not the best with heights....and I've never done much mountaineering before so I may be a little in over my head, but hey there's a first time for everything right?

Nevertheless I'm incredibly excited :D

I'm studying abroad in the UK this semester, and next week I'm going to Scotland to do this for a week...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152549652785828.1073741830.381399730827&type=1

I'm not the best with heights....and I've never done much mountaineering before so I may be a little in over my head, but hey there's a first time for everything right?

Nevertheless I'm incredibly excited :D

That's really cool... I'm terrified of heights so I would never be able to do something like that, but it definitely looks like a cool experience.

As for me... I have lost my voice and cannot talk above a light whisper. I was sent home early from work because what good is a call center employee who can't talk?

Aw, I send my best wishes to the sick kitty.

And Ucantalas, that sounds like a bummer, hope it clears up soon.

In the SF Bay Area, as I'm sure some of you know, its been so grey and rainy recently and triggered some introspection. 

I seem to go through cycles of being lost and having a direction of purpose.  I currently work in a coffee shop.  I don't mind the job too much, but I know that my real calling is in creating, so I work there while self-teaching myself programming and drawing (hopefully get to painting soon) and look for opportunities in the future.

I think the best I can do is work hard and capitalize on the times when the purpose is there.

(Also, I'm having to write part of this with an on-screen keyboard because keys are randomly deciding not to work on my laptop.  That will get in the way of programming >.<)

Today, Cabot has an appointment with the oncologist, where they'll measure his visible tumors and perform an ultrasound to try to visualise the metastases in his lungs (and check for any elsewhere).  As well as two "nodules" on his side, he definitely has one tumor in his chest;  if it's close enough to the chest wall the oncologist will try to get some cells from it for analysis.  That will allow her to be sure that it's really the osteosarcoma that's metastasized, and tailor the chemotherapy accordingly.

The chemotherapy drugs are due to arrive today or tomorrow.  I'm hoping it arrives today and we can get started on trying to beat this thing.

Words I just heard in the local weather report include: historic, devastating, crippling, and "a whole lotta damage".

Barf.

You in Ireland or the UK then? My usual view out over the city is marred by some giant dark spots where the power is gone. I'm so glad its not me, they are not expecting it back till tomorrow. My gate got blown ourwards by the wind, but for me that is the worst of it luckily! There is some crazy pics around the place of roofs getting taken off buildings.

This wind is nuts, nearly knocked me over walking home this evening — and it successfully pushed me into a road! My balcony is definitely not a place I wish to be going tonight...

Nope, I'm in the Southeast US. Right now mother nature is in the process of depositing a half inch of ice on everything in my neighborhood with some snow expected to top it all off tonight. I still have power so fingers crossed that that holds up at least. We do not handle winter weather well in these parts (our primary plan when these things happen being "wait for it to melt I guess?").