gdf

Life

It turns out I have a WHOLE BUNCH of reward points on my credit card so I exchanged them online and should get a bunch of gift cards to use at the mall soon. On the one hand, I wish they were for something more useful like groceries. On the other hand, it's not often that I have money that I can only spend on dumb stuff I want rather than important stuff I need. Faboo!

Shammack and I... we're miserable.  We love Cabot so much and we thought he was going to be cancer-free forever fter the last surgery.

It turns out I have a WHOLE BUNCH of reward points on my credit card so I exchanged them online and should get a bunch of gift cards to use at the mall soon. On the one hand, I wish they were for something more useful like groceries. On the other hand, it's not often that I have money that I can only spend on dumb stuff I want rather than important stuff I need. Faboo!

I buy a ridiculous number of things on eBay every month (basically a ton of business supplies that are cheaper on there), which results in having $100+ every quarter to blow on crap on eBay.  Sometimes I wish it was real money I could use, but usually I think it's better that I have an excuse to treat myself or the lady to something we wouldn't normally spend our own money on. 

Sorry if it seems like I'm monopolizing the thread or pity-whoring or anything. 

Bjorn, didn't they change eBay's reward points thing recently to make it harder for you to earn them, or redeem them, or something?

Sorry if it seems like I'm monopolizing the thread or pity-whoring or anything.

It's important to express sadness.

Bjorn, didn't they change eBay's reward points thing recently to make it harder for you to earn them, or redeem them, or something?

They made it so you have to spend a minimum of $250 total every three months to get your rewards (or buy slightly less on one of the rare double/triple bonus days), which does suck for people who only spend a little on eBay.  But I tend to spend several hundred dollars on month on things like labels, custom paper, toner, packing/shipping supplies.

One of the perks of being a small business owner is that the ridiculous amount of money you have to spend is at least earning you bunches of rewards.  We are a very, very, very small business, and still spend in the neighborhood of $100,000 a year on shit we need between inventory and supplies.  At least the rewards pay for video games and the occasional vacation (very occasional, as we usually can't justify shutting the business down for much more than a long weekend). 

I'm also sorry to hear about your kitty.  We have 3 sociopathic little fuzzballs of our own that we wouldn't know what to do without.

My condolences, subbes.

So you might recall I was a little blue last week; I'm getting the strong suspicion that the attitude that it's safe to judge someone as forever an asshole based on one mistake - basically, social justice warriors - actually triggers my depressive mood. I developed depression as a result of mishandling my perfectionism, and the idea that I have to be perfect perfect perfect or everyone will judge me sends me into a panic.

Forewarned is forearmed, as they say; I need as much self-confidence as I can muster because I'm supposed to be jobhunting.

Understanding how to criticize yourself for improved performance is a difficult skill to learn. What I've found helpful is to think of criticism in terms of a specific behavior, rather than who I am as a person. The more I use general terms like "my life" or "always", the more powerless I feel. I try to say things like "I fucking suck at tightening this fucking nut under the right-side drain of this particular kitchen-sink!" rather than "I suck at fixing stuff!"

Man alive, I had a hard time tightening that nut. It's stayed on for two weeks though, so maybe it's over.

I'm really struggling to get my god damn toilet flushes to stop continuing to piss out water after I flush them. I opened it up and there are these plastic things that go up when flushed, then drop back down. They can be tightened or loosened to fit together better or worse, but somehow they keep ending up not being in an optimal position so they stay up for way longer than they should if not indefinitely. I've fixed it a few times but it always recurs after a couple of weeks or so. Why couldn't they have just used a normal floating ball thing? What a piece of shit.

Does it have a rubber flapper that a chain lifts? If so, I bet your rubber flapper is warped. You can get a replacement flapper for $5.

Sadly not, it's a button on the top of the toilet that pushes some plunger down. The plunger then lifts up some other things. I can't even find any photos of it online so it must be some pretty obscure mechanism — it's dual flush but no other photos of such contraptions look similar.

Might have to whip it open and look for what could be an underlying cause, maybe it is some kind of little shitty piece of rubber like you say. :tdown:

A former friend has spent the past twenty four hours trying to manipulate me into giving him money. He phoned last night and said: I repainted your old room this week, and I want money for the paint. I moved out of the room six months ago. When I pointed out he once lost about £120 worth of my stuff and refused to take responsibility for it, he first threatened to "charge" me £300 for labour too, then segued into a dumb but effective strategy I've seen him use a lot in arguments: Ignoring almost everything the other person says, and drilling down into every tiny detail until they lose the will to fight. I hung up on him.

He's been texting a lot, trying every form of emotional blackmail he can think of. I've caught him out in several lies, been assertive but polite, and ended it with "Do not continue harassing me over this". Never one to not have the last word, he capped it all with a morose "I thought we were friends, I'm very disappointed in you". He stopped being my friend quite a few years ago after repeatedly being an unrepentant asshole.

I'm ok, but pretty emotionally exhausted, and knowing he takes stuff out on the people around him, feel very bad for my old housemates right now :(

God man, sounds like a total loser. Can't you block his number? Can't even figure out how he thinks you actually owe anything. Isn't that what landlords are for?

If he starts again, my phone will be dumping every text and call from his number. I wasn't sure how bad it'd get today, so piling up the evidence seemed like an important thing.

If he starts again, my phone will be dumping every text and call from his number. I wasn't sure how bad it'd get today, so piling up the evidence seemed like an important thing.

Is he on drugs? I've known some people in the past that started exhibiting this kind of behavior and in almost every case I came to find out they had gotten hooked on meth or coke.

No, he doesn't even drink and I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't take any recreational drugs. He's also always been a bit emotionally immature and selfish, and he had a very rough time in the final months of 2013. It wouldn't surprise me if he developed mental health issues, and I think that's one of the things that's cooled my anger.

That's insane, Nachimir. Take good care of yourself, before worrying about other people's [mental] health. Don't be that mother that puts the airplane oxygen mask on her kids first.