gdf

Life

I've begun walking our 9 year old cat outside in a harness and leash.  I know, I know... but he seems to enjoy it.

Yeah, they sound like utter pricks, and I've found the same as Thrik.

(I use USB keys all the time for work).

If you want to look like you're on the cutting edge, become a teacher. I made a thing where I could drop comments on student conduct into a google survey template by using my phone in class. It felt like the thing to do, because often you forget what you wanted to say before you get to write it down. Now I just text it to myself and it shows up on a google drive spreadsheet. The rest of the school thinks I'm a fucking wizzard.

:tup:

For one job last year, I had to work with an agency who email each other MS Office file attachments. No source control, just phone calls and confusion.

No the work is easy, but everyone is kind of rude to me and ignoring me so I can't finish anything. I doubt this will lead to other work. They were making fun of me in another room because the only portable PC I had is a desktop that does ethernet only. Since I offered a flashdrive to exchange files, I guess that means I'm "outdated" and don't understand Dropbox. They said next I'd be bringing in a zip drive. ARE FLASHDRIVES OUTDATED PIECES OF EQUIPMENT NOW? I DON'T UNDERSTAND. They should really keep their voices down if they are going to make fun of someone.

Ho hum, I guess this is how all marketing firms are, snobby jerks.

Also I had an interview with the Postal Service tomorrow and since I still have to be on this job site, I might have screwed it up by asking to reschedule it. The USPS worker who responded was rude about it and said *maybe* I could get one next week. Ergh. This is all very annoying to me.

Everything is a disaster that ruins my life forever. So, yes?

Play up the old tech angle and turn in the banners as a flipbook animation on paper.

I've begun walking our 9 year old cat outside in a harness and leash. I know, I know... but he seems to enjoy it.

Heh, aw. Was he always an indoor cat?

He was a rescue so we don't know what his life was like before us, but we've always kept him indoors.

Just bought a TX-P55VT60 to replace my 4.5 year old P42G10. It's the last of its kind :(

Nice. What lovely plasmas Panasonic has made.

Might have to get a Samsung if mine gives up in the next few years. Looks like AMOLED is way off being practical.

I haven't heard anything about Samsung plasmas continuing.

I'm not fully convinced on the current state of OLED.

Both LG and Samsung have committed to further plasma development, however who knows how long that'll last. It's definitely my favourite technology of the moment, and my VIERA from 2009 continues to delight me.

As for OLED, it's years away from being practical — never mind affordable. They're making great strides (a recent one was solving the 'blue pixels age faster' by using filters on top of white pixels), but I don't think the quality and longevity will be there for at least five years. Still, we'll likely all be using them in 10–20 years.

I went with a home theater projector a couple of months ago, and I can't imagine ever going back to a regular TV in my living room again.  Similar price as a TV, a bit of work to setup, but stunningly beautiful and a huge screen.  142" for me, but that's a bit out of the norm, 100"-120" would be achievable for most rooms.  If you mostly use a TV in the dark, I highly recommend thinking about it when you need to upgrade again.

Both LG and Samsung have committed to further plasma development, however who knows how long that'll last. It's definitely my favourite technology of the moment, and my VIERA from 2009 continues to delight me.

As for OLED, it's years away from being practical — never mind affordable. They're making great strides (a recent one was solving the 'blue pixels age faster' by using filters on top of white pixels), but I don't think the quality and longevity will be there for at least five years. Still, we'll likely all be using them in 10–20 years.

So is plasma going away in the near future? I keep hearing things that indicate that might be the case but I refuse to believe it. Plasma for life.

So is plasma going away in the near future? I keep hearing things that indicate that might be the case but I refuse to believe it. Plasma for life.

The issue seems to be that they just can't make them cheaply enough to offset the relatively low demand for them. A long fight has been fought to convince people that LCD is the way to go, and it seems to have worked. Of course a huge number of people absolutely love plasma and understand its (quite frankly indisputable) superiority in terms of image quality, but you have to remember how ridiculously big the number of people buying TVs is overall. Also not everyone actually cares that much about true quality.

With that said, only Panasonic — widely considered the king of plasmas — has officially dropped them starting this year. LG and Samsung are presumably keen to cash in on the fact that there are going to be plenty of plasma fans wanting their fix, but they too might tire of it after another year or two.

The only thing to look forward to is OLED eventually reaching the point of being feasible. It's the only technology out there that can match (and surpass) plasma in terms of quality, whereas LCD never will no matter what fancy LED backlights they use or whatever. But they've been trying to get it right for like a decade now, and they're still some years off.

I went with a home theater projector a couple of months ago, and I can't imagine ever going back to a regular TV in my living room again.  Similar price as a TV, a bit of work to setup, but stunningly beautiful and a huge screen.  142" for me, but that's a bit out of the norm, 100"-120" would be achievable for most rooms.  If you mostly use a TV in the dark, I highly recommend thinking about it when you need to upgrade again.

Oh, if I had a suitable room I'd totally be doing that. All I can look forward to is eventually getting a house with a room that I can turn into a home cinema.

I'd thought about it for a long time, but the last 2 years saw a lot of improvements in projectors.  Prices have plummeted (there are really nice entry models in the $750-$1000 range), quality has improved and bulb life is a lot longer.  And there are starting to be some LED lit models that don't even have to worry about bulb life anymore, though those are still on the rare and more expensive side. 

I still find it hilarious that TV companies thought people would upgrade their HDTVs every few years. 3D! 4k! Barf. I'm still rocking a DLP TV I got in 2008 with hopefully no end in sight (LED lighting so no bulb burnout).

I really, really wanted to nab a Panasonic plasma before they dissapear, but it looks like I wont have the finance to do so. =/

I got a relatively cheap Samsung LCD, "HD Ready", years ago, and though it isn't the best, I'll continue to use it until it gives out or I get a good deal on a 4K tv in ten years or so.

I bought a $3000 32" Sony TV pretty much the month before they started including 1080p on all of their sets. It's definitely time for me to upgrade, but I'm waiting until we complete our move to figure out how much space we'll have.

Life is kinda great right now. I've just finished my summer job which was weeding a lily farm; now I'm thinking about whether I'm going to do a course in film, or creative writing, or software engineering, and I'm just kind of lounging in that state where you feel like you have all of the possibilities right now without the crushing weight of feasibility.

What isn't so great is this meatworks that's about 10k down the road from where I'm staying. It's upwind so pretty often we get the great stench of all that.. Plus it's been really hot which qualifies at over 20 celsius and I really need some airflow in the bedroom I live my life out of.

Thumbs, what are your best home remedies for flu? I can feel a bout coming on and I'd like to head it off at the pass. Maybe get a headstart and sweat it out now with a hot chili meal before the fever dial up gets turned up to 11.

Rest, drink a lot of hot drinks (you can't sweat out a cold but it'll help with keeping you uncongested), and rest. Oh, and rest!

I know it sounds obvious but there are so many people who burn through their usual lifestyle despite having a cold, and think dosing up on pills and tricks will make it OK. Conversely, I always become a sloth when I get a cold and it pretty much never develops into a bad one.

There is nothing you can do for a flu apart from make yourself as comfy as possible and rest it out.