gdf

Life

I help people throw it away, then Mack digs it back up 1000 years later.

Spoiler Alert:

We wrap everything in plastic. You are going to find plastic wrapped in plastic.

The circle of life! Actually Clyde we wrap it in plastic then put it in an acid free cardboard box for the rest of time!

Syntheticgerbil: If you mean did I go to freezing islands off the north coast of Scotland to dig up the stone houses of Vikings and and repeatedly get drunk with congregation of like minded individuals? then yes, yes I did.

Both: Do you wrap non-biodegradable plastic in biodegradable plastic or biodegradable plastic in non-biodegradable plastic? What is the common hierarchy of plastics in professional circles?

The county ordinance is that trash is to be bagged. They don't specify what material the bags are made of, and that ordinance is rarely enforced.

Ugh, we had sustained wind last night of 50MPH, probably gusted up around 60MPH.  Ended up tearing about a dozen shingles off our roof.  So that's going to be fun fixing with expected highs of balls-ass-freezing-cold for the next couple of days.

man you guys get really nervous about stuff... Just chill and take it as it comes :)

HEY fuck you guy we do what we want

My job (archaeologist) used to be awesome; Dig old stuff up, marvel at it a little bit then finish work and go to the pub. Problem is that after a good few years (to many to think about) I have managed to get promoted enough times to where I hardly do any digging any more and instead have to worry about budgets, consequences, producing results on time and other shit. Fair enough I get paid a little bit more but its really not worth it for the crap that comes with it....

So do something about it you say!

I did! I applied, and got accepted, for a masters degree. Unfortunately now I have half a year to stick out at this job till it begins and my boss is blatantly dumping all the crap jobs on me because I'm leaving. Here's the kicker; Rather than fill me with happiness and peace the light at the end of the tunnel has unleashed my inner hatred of my current work and all but erased the low tolerance I had to the majority of idiots that I work with.

It sucks when you have an employer that you don't want to leave in a lurch with a sudden departure, but is a dick to you once you tell them you're departing. My first job ended in a similar way, though I was only stuck there for about two months. Now I don't give anyone more than two weeks notice, no matter how much I like them.

Ugh, we had sustained wind last night of 50MPH, probably gusted up around 60MPH.  Ended up tearing about a dozen shingles off our roof.  So that's going to be fun fixing with expected highs of balls-ass-freezing-cold for the next couple of days.

Are you still in Kansas?

Are you still in Kansas?

In Kansas making Oz jokes carries an automatic penalty of 50 lashes and Clockwork Orange style behavior modification.

In Kansas making Oz jokes carries an automatic penalty of 50 lashes and Clockwork Orange style behavior modification.

I lost a lot of potential friends my freshman year of college asking everyone from Kansas City if everything was up to date there.

I wonder if the population will take it personally when they find out that they aren't as great as this fellow. Surely our boot-straps have a limited elasticity.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1112696260/baxter-humanoid-robot-091912/

I have a contract job to show up to some marketing firm to do flash banners for a few days. I'm so nervous and anxious and I can't sleep. It's nearly 5 AM and I have to be there by 10 AM. Sheesh. I can't get it out of my mind that I'm going to screw up by either taking too long (which is my weakest spot) or not having enough knowledge of what to do technically (should they suddenly ask me for heavy coding, which they should have no impression I could do since I already said up front). Now I'm doing it on no sleep. I guess I just want to do well because it pays insanely well hourly and there's a possibility the company might ask me back for more work.

In the mean time I have been taking tests to be a mailman. It would be super strange for me if I got that job, but it pays well hourly. Just hope it's not crazy long hours should everything work out.

So, did it turn out to be an unimaginable disaster that has ruined your life forever?

No the work is easy, but everyone is kind of rude to me and ignoring me so I can't finish anything. I doubt this will lead to other work. They were making fun of me in another room because the only portable PC I had is a desktop that does ethernet only. Since I offered a flashdrive to exchange files, I guess that means I'm "outdated" and don't understand Dropbox. They said next I'd be bringing in a zip drive. ARE FLASHDRIVES OUTDATED PIECES OF EQUIPMENT NOW? I DON'T UNDERSTAND. They should really keep their voices down if they are going to make fun of someone.

Ho hum, I guess this is how all marketing firms are, snobby jerks.

Also I had an interview with the Postal Service tomorrow and since I still have to be on this job site, I might have screwed it up by asking to reschedule it. The USPS worker who responded was rude about it and said *maybe* I could get one next week. Ergh. This is all very annoying to me.

Everything is a disaster that ruins my life forever. So, yes?

Wow that sounds like a terrible work environment. I used flash devices on a weekly basis at a giant mobile games developer, alongside Dropbox. What a weird thing. ):

No the work is easy, but everyone is kind of rude to me and ignoring me so I can't finish anything. I doubt this will lead to other work. They were making fun of me in another room because the only portable PC I had is a desktop that does ethernet only. Since I offered a flashdrive to exchange files, I guess that means I'm "outdated" and don't understand Dropbox. They said next I'd be bringing in a zip drive. ARE FLASHDRIVES OUTDATED PIECES OF EQUIPMENT NOW? I DON'T UNDERSTAND. They should really keep their voices down if they are going to make fun of someone.

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry. I can't stand people who think giving people a hard time about trivial shit is funny. 

Well, that's life. Full of disappointments.

Seriously though, sounds like a bunch of complete assholes. It is my experience that a lot of sales/marketing people are like that. The gift of the gab extends to being intolerable for more than a few minutes, I guess.

Well I'm only there for one more day, it's good pay and easy as hell. I don't think there's any chance of me going on permanent though. I don't think I want to now anyway.

I'm actually more bummed I may not get my interview to be a postman. But yeah, I've gotta stop being overdramatic.

Yeah, they sound like utter pricks, and I've found the same as Thrik.

(I use USB keys all the time for work).

In my experience, the people who think that flash drives are obsolete are the same people who think you can get good internet everywhere and that Google never has account issues. In other words, naive idiots.

In my line of work, storing any marketing material in-progress on dropbox would be grounds for a stern talking to, if not outright termination.

This company is really testing my resolve. I still haven't gotten an official offer.

What?! I think you need to just fly to Dallas at this point and just walk in and pick a desk. Then send them the bill for your plane ticket.