gdf

Life

Moving from FL to SF cost us $2500 but that included moving cats.

SINCE I KNOW YOU'RE ALL ON PINS AND NEEDLES ABOUT MY LIFE

Mostly just talked expectations. He's gonna get back to me with a solid offer later tonight if all goes well. But the role is definitely the one I wanted, so EVERYTHING IS GODDAMN SUNSHINE AND ROSES RIGHT NOW!

CALL IN THIRTY MINUTES

Hey does anyone have any idea how much it'd cost to get movers from SF to Dallas?* I don't want to rent a truck and drive it all the way there, and also I like my bed and stuff and don't want to have to buy a new bed and stuff. But if it ends up being cheaper to just rebuy everything, I'll give in and do that.

*All these websites want a phone number and email address and real name to even give me an estimate. KINDA ANNOYING.

I think they have those moving pod companies that might save some money. Do you have a lot of stuff?

If the furniture costs more to move than to replace it might be better to just search Goodwill and stuff to replace your furniture. But if you have nice furniture, that's probably a terrible idea.

You should try to go work at Robot after you are done with this company, since you'll be in Dallas and all.

Mostly just talked expectations. He's gonna get back to me with a solid offer later tonight if all goes well. But the role is definitely the one I wanted, so EVERYTHING IS GODDAMN SUNSHINE AND ROSES RIGHT NOW!

:tup:

You should try to go work at Robot after you are done with this company, since you'll be in Dallas and all.

Robot Entertainment of Orcs Must Die? Can't say I'd be against making games with those guys! But unless something terrible happens like everyone hates me (totally possible!), I don't think I'll leave my new job. Some of the stuff they're doing right now sounds super interesting.

Anyway, the only piece of furniture I'd really miss is my bed. I dished out for a GOOD MATTRESS for once in my life and I don't want to lose it. The rest of my furniture is definitely disposable. I have a lot of boxes I'll need to pack up of course for the stuff that isn't furniture. But yeah I guess I'll just sell/toss the furniture and buy new stuff when I get there.

Congrats! Now perhaps your avatar can stop looking so terrified/nervous.

Running a small company can be pretty weird, but I'm still enjoying it compared to the complacency a regular salary once instilled in me. I've been really poor for the past three years or so (as in, I got behind on rent once and there were a couple of times I struggled to eat when first starting out). I'm still quite poor, but I worked my ass off last year, and this month paid off 60% of my debts. The rest should be gone in a year. Feels good.

Fantastic, Nachimir. Good to hear it's working out.

It's something that's been on my mind heavily the last few months. I feel absolutely shitty about it, since I should be over the fucking moon that I finally got a great (and it's good, it's really good) job a year ago. And I am still really thankful I got it, it's done wonders on my life in terms of stability and finances. But at the same time, it takes up so much (almost all, actually) time that I'd rather spend on my one true passion, which is writing. And I'm on the cusp of, you know, getting somewhere with it, but the fact that it's almost in sight, so near I can touch it with my lips, makes me even more impatient to start my preferred life already. The life where I can spend all my time in the delicious hazard of writing. Which I fully know isn't an easy life, but we do these things not because they are easy, &c.

While I'm in the bustle of work, it's not so bad. But whenever it's weekend, and it is weekend, all I can do is dread the Monday. Why do I work, and why do I live? I feel like the most jaded and ungrateful a-hole. I've got a unique and excellent job, but it's not good enough. The most rational thing to do, which I will probably and unflinchingly do, is to wait out the time and gradually transition from salaried life to the writing life as the latter builds up through whatever means. It's just such a sad thing that as those years tick by, I'll be anxious and furious every day.

So that's my bit of whining, for which I profusely apologize!

Fantastic, Nachimir. Good to hear it's working out.

It's something that's been on my mind heavily the last few months. I feel absolutely shitty about it, since I should be over the fucking moon that I finally got a great (and it's good, it's really good) job a year ago. And I am still really thankful I got it, it's done wonders on my life in terms of stability and finances. But at the same time, it takes up so much (almost all, actually) time that I'd rather spend on my one true passion, which is writing. And I'm on the cusp of, you know, getting somewhere with it, but the fact that it's almost in sight, so near I can touch it with my lips, makes me even more impatient to start my preferred life already. The life where I can spend all my time in the delicious hazard of writing. Which I fully know isn't an easy life, but we do these things not because they are easy, &c.

While I'm in the bustle of work, it's not so bad. But whenever it's weekend, and it is weekend, all I can do is dread the Monday. Why do I work, and why do I live? I feel like the most jaded and ungrateful a-hole. I've got a unique and excellent job, but it's not good enough. The most rational thing to do, which I will probably and unflinchingly do, is to wait out the time and gradually transition from salaried life to the writing life as the latter builds up through whatever means. It's just such a sad thing that as those years tick by, I'll be anxious and furious every day.

So that's my bit of whining, for which I profusely apologize!

What I would be asking myself is "Do I have an opportunity that will give me more capability to focus on what I want to do with my life?"

Working all the time can just change your lack of money into a lack of time. Quitting a job to focus on writing can turn your lack of time into a lack of money. It is possible to find a proper balance though you may have to make some sacrifices. But be wary of running away from something you hate instead of running towards something you love.

Wise words. To be frank, that has been my plan so far. In the immediate future I'd like to work one day less in the office and write instead. I think that'd be a great first step. Part-time work would be an ideal way to have a steady income, enough to subsist on, yet have more than enough time to write. I'm not sure if my current company would accept that, though. A lot hinges on being connected to what's going on, which is really hard if you're only there 2 or 3 days. I think in practice I'd start drifting away from the rest, which is a concern readily on their minds.

But well, baby steps. By no means will I up and quite, that would be the height of irresponsibility and also, lack of respect.

You're so lucky to live in a continent where going part-time (and not ending up living on the streets or in piles of debt) is a possibiity.  I envy you.

You're so lucky to live in a continent where going part-time (and not ending up living on the streets or in piles of debt) is a possibiity.  I envy you.

Heh, was going to say the same thing.

Man it is nice out today I'll tell you what I am going to miss San Francisco*. I think, before/besides the stress of being laid off and searching for a job for SIX MONTHS, this is where I've been happiest in my life. I once cited my six-month stint in Japan as the happiest time in my life, but it's been USURPED.

C'est la vie. ONWARD AND UPWARD, FRIENDS!

*And I'm abandoning my wild fantasy of some day forcing myself upon the 'cast and becoming an Official Thumb. Teehee!

You're so lucky to live in a continent where going part-time (and not ending up living on the streets or in piles of debt) is a possibiity. I envy you.

It's doable if you don't buy medical insurance, live with a room-mate, don't have a car, and never go to restaurants or bars.

It's a fragile existence though.

It's doable if you don't buy medical insurance, live with a room-mate, don't have a car, and never go to restaurants or bars.

It's a fragile existence though.

Then I'd end up under a pile of medical debt.

Sometimes I miss the UK, because when I left it was still a country where, if you couldn't find work, you could still manage to live in a manner that didn't leave you wanting to die every minute of the day.  I gather that's changed now.

Take inspiration from This Is Spinal Tap and start dating one of the Thumbs.

Would you perhaps say... Congrats Nick?

he he he

he he

too weird huh

Nick has blue eyes.  Blue like a deep forest pool.  A pool in which a Twig might float.

Nick has blue eyes.  Blue like a deep forest pool.  A pool in which a Twig might float.

This is now the official idlethumbs.net/wizard Slash Wizard thread.  :davidbrent:

My eyes are also blue. Might we float in each other's eye pools?