gdf

Life

I spent a lot of my youth baffled by the middle class adults surrounding me, competing over tiny status symbols while their community rotted away around them.

Isn't that basically a universal thing that almost every generation of almost every culture goes through?

Not that I'm saying it's undeserved, but I mean yeah. U:

I don't know, but I've been plenty of other places where it doesn't seem to be a part of people's values (that could easily be some sort of selection bias on my part though). However widespread it is, it freaked me the fuck out and depressed me as a kid.

I visited Edinburgh a few weeks ago, and remembered with some surprise that strangers are mostly just nicer to interact with up there.

Why do QA always find the interesting bugs an hour after I've shut down my VM?

The short of it is that I'm now a technical writer at a tortilla chip factory. The long of it is that this company is on the verge of some insane growth. In terms of production it's been breaking records every week for the past month and being the most profitable it's ever been. My boss sees a lot of potential in me to help improve the company in terms of information design and such, and I already have some ideas.

I'm excited, nervous, motivated, and doubting myself all at the same time.

Is this one of those companies where part of their brand identity is putting silly things on the packets? If so, double thumbs up.

Decided to put the final bullet into a relationship that's been lukewarm at best for a long time now. Really not easy being the one who has to take the lead and initiate the conversation, but in all honesty things had gone quickly downhill during the past couple of weeks (not arguments, just outright not talking). Having never dealt with such a long-term break-up I was pretty much all "I... think we need to break up" and then had literally no idea what to say next and after she said 'OK' there was a good portion of silence before things got going. Whoops.

She said she saw it coming and entirely agreed about its necessity — she'd even started looking into apartments the day before.  :blink: And actually it was all a very restrained and mature conversation, perhaps a sign of how little our emotions were intertwined with the relationship any more. She's moving out in a couple of weeks and we're alternating between bed and sofa. Glad I got a good-ass sofa now.

It sounds horrible but I'm actually feeling really positive at the moment. The relationship had lost its heart so long ago that it's felt like we've been desperately trying to discover a magic fix for as long as I can remember. We probably should have decided to end things a year or so ago, but after 3.5 years and without an 'ultimate reason' (e.g. cheating or huge arguments) you just hope for improvement that's never coming.

So while I'm very sad in that the good memories (albeit mostly quite a long time ago) and things that I miss about her will surely play on my mind, I'm feeling like a ginormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can now just go crazy spending amounts of time that weren't really appropriate while in a relationship doing whatever I want. While I don't think that this was the primary cause of the loss of closeness because that was happening on a much deeper level I think, in all honesty I'm not that ready to settle down right now which is probably why I feel OK. I haven't got that 'oh my god I'm getting older and need a long-term partner and children' feeling — it's more of a 'holy shit, I can just go live or work anywhere I want now' feeling.

Yeah, I've found the same, at least with the younger ones. A bunch of guys I've met who are doing MTB into their forties are much nicer, but the others, I end up having too many horrible conversations where they bring up immigration, some other Daily Mail issue, or (more trivially) "Why would you play video games they're not real do a real thing outside".

To be honest one of the reasons I ride mountain bikes is so I can get away from everyone. Especially the secret trails where no one goes (and they are built better than any trail centre haha).

Decided to put the final bullet into a relationship that's been lukewarm at best for a long time now. Really not easy being the one who has to take the lead and initiate the conversation, but in all honesty things had gone quickly downhill during the past couple of weeks (not arguments, just outright not talking). Having never dealt with such a long-term break-up I was pretty much all "I... think we need to break up" and then had literally no idea what to say next and after she said 'OK' there was a good portion of silence before things got going. Whoops.

She said she saw it coming and entirely agreed about its necessity — she'd even started looking into apartments the day before.  :blink: And actually it was all a very restrained and mature conversation, perhaps a sign of how little our emotions were intertwined with the relationship any more. She's moving out in a couple of weeks and we're alternating between bed and sofa. Glad I got a good-ass sofa now.

It sounds horrible but I'm actually feeling really positive at the moment. The relationship had lost its heart so long ago that it's felt like we've been desperately trying to discover a magic fix for as long as I can remember. We probably should have decided to end things a year or so ago, but after 3.5 years and without an 'ultimate reason' (e.g. cheating or huge arguments) you just hope for improvement that's never coming.

So while I'm very sad in that the good memories (albeit mostly quite a long time ago) and things that I miss about her will surely play on my mind, I'm feeling like a ginormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can now just go crazy spending amounts of time that weren't really appropriate while in a relationship doing whatever I want. While I don't think that this was the primary cause of the loss of closeness because that was happening on a much deeper level I think, in all honesty I'm not that ready to settle down right now which is probably why I feel OK. I haven't got that 'oh my god I'm getting older and need a long-term partner and children' feeling — it's more of a 'holy shit, I can just go live or work anywhere I want now' feeling.

It sucks things ended up turning out that way but it sounds like that's about the best way a long term relationship could possibly end. That's awesome to hear that you were both able to handle it in such a mature way.

Decided to put the final bullet into a relationship that's been lukewarm at best for a long time now.

Sorry to hear it, but I'm glad it's such a mild breakup, and you seem to be dealing well. I've had similar ones. 

To be honest one of the reasons I ride mountain bikes is so I can get away from everyone.

^ My entire teens :)

Nowadays, long commutes do the same for me. I only got back into MTB as a year round surrogate for snowboarding, then realised that holy shit had I missed it.

Nowadays, long commutes do the same for me. I only got back into MTB as a year round surrogate for snowboarding, then realised that holy shit had I missed it.

Haha its weird how one ride can get you back on it, the last year i havent been doing as much. Reason for that was snapping my collar bone riding downhill tracks, you lose confidence in your own ability injuring your self :/ 

But after watching the supercross for the past couple of weeks I am itching to get back out on the DH rig.

Riding DH is the most peaceful thing in the world for me. This is my go pro footage of half of my favorite trail http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfIqQDUwwY.

Two years ago i filmed that, weird. WAY faster now haha.

Why do QA always find the interesting bugs an hour after I've shut down my VM?

We're sorry

I wouldn't mind but I left the VM running overnight especially for youuuuuuuuu

Riding DH is the most peaceful thing in the world for me. This is my go pro footage of half of my favorite trail http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfIqQDUwwY.

Two years ago i filmed that, weird. WAY faster now haha.

Looks gorgeous. Do you film a lot of trails?

, much faster and crash less after a bit of training with someone who knew what they were doing :)

That's Hemlock Stone, which is one of the few places people go and build stuff around Nottingham. I'm a way off being able to ride DH, but these past few years really feel like I've been building some skills. Watching some of my cornering in that video makes me cringe now.

Looks gorgeous. Do you film a lot of trails?

, much faster and crash less after a bit of training with someone who knew what they were doing :)

That's Hemlock Stone, which is one of the few places people go and build stuff around Nottingham. I'm a way off being able to ride DH, but these past few years really feel like I've been building some skills. Watching some of my cornering in that video makes me cringe now.

I did a course in enduro at dirt school last year and it was so helpful it was crazy. A whole day of riding with a coach and like 4 other people at innerleithen. It was in the chucking it down all day too, so if you didnt do what they told you to do you would crash, a lot. which I did. But after 3 or so hours it all set in and its weird how easy some things become with a little bit more knowledge. 

I would highly recommend it!

Also, watching back that video i was just like 'god I look so slow, and this track looks flat as fuck' haha Gopros do that though.

I plan on taking my go pro on every ride or hill I climb this spring and summer, and make a compilation at the end of the year :)

Remember that affordable housing is a feminist issue; abusive partners are easier to leave when affordable housing is available.Thanks for supporting it.

Affordable housing also creates a deadweight loss in the economy by artificially lowering the price of housing, making what could have been more expensive housing cost less, giving less money to the developers, construction workers, and realtors that would have worked on that more expensive housing, thus creating less jobs that normal and probably causing more abuse which is linked to poverty as those hypothetical people now have less money to spend which would have created yet more jobs on down the line.

Yay economics, yay the world being complicated! Or as SMBC put it:

b3YAaYz.png

I did a course in enduro at dirt school last year and it was so helpful it was crazy. A whole day of riding with a coach and like 4 other people at innerleithen. It was in the chucking it down all day too, so if you didnt do what they told you to do you would crash, a lot. which I did. But after 3 or so hours it all set in and its weird how easy some things become with a little bit more knowledge. 

I would highly recommend it!

Also, watching back that video i was just like 'god I look so slow, and this track looks flat as fuck' haha Gopros do that though.

I plan on taking my go pro on every ride or hill I climb this spring and summer, and make a compilation at the end of the year :)

Yeah, lenses for POV footage are always a compromise. Without the wide angle, they don't simulate stuff whipping by your peripheral vision so everything looks really slow. With a wide shot, the trail ahead flattens but looks like it falls away more steeply to either side. I'm planning the next prototype of this cable cam, which will (hopefully) be much faster and more stable. Let me know if you fancy messing around with one later this year (though rigging them is a bitch at the moment).

Definitely going to do more skills courses, there are some good teachers near where I'm headed. With the XC bike in that video, I definitely got to the point where I felt like I was at the limits of the bike.

Yeah, lenses for POV footage are always a compromise. Without the wide angle, they don't simulate stuff whipping by your peripheral vision so everything looks really slow. With a wide shot, the trail ahead flattens but looks like it falls away more steeply to either side. I'm planning the next prototype of this cable cam, which will (hopefully) be much faster and more stable. Let me know if you fancy messing around with one later this year (though rigging them is a bitch at the moment).

Definitely going to do more skills courses, there are some good teachers near where I'm headed. With the XC bike in that video, I definitely got to the point where I felt like I was at the limits of the bike.

Enduro/all mountain bikes are the way to go man! full sus 140/160mm travel is all you need for everything apart from world cup DH tracks, I ride my all mountain bike way more than the DH rig.

I will keep you in mind if i venture down south in the summer for some filming/riding... Always wanted to go to Chicksands...

So, Linked-in I guess. Lots of talk about it, but I've never really bothered using any social media stuff for work before. Any advice?

I ordered pizza. I hate ordering pizza from this place. They always take over an hour to deliver. But it's also the only pizza place I like around here. BLEH.

In other news: I got an email this morning telling me they were going to offer me a job. The job I want. The job in Dallas. The job with the only company I've interviewed with so far that I actually like. I IMMEDIATELY RESPONDED WITH A "YEAH I'M INTERESTED HERE'S MY NUMBER AGAIN IN CASE YOU DON'T HAVE IT" AND GOT NO RESPONSE THE REST OF THE DAY

SO I'VE SPENT ALL DAY FREAKING OUT GOING FROM EXCITED TO WORRIED THAT IT'S ALL A MISTAKE ON THEIR END AND 

this is why i can't be happy

Also intermittently sad that I'll be leaving San Francisco because deep down I was sort of hoping to get an offer here first so that I'd have an excuse to stay and find a new apartment and oh boy I'll be leaving all of my friends behind for the third time in my life.

But also Dallas should be cool too.

this is why i can't be happy

AKA GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Congrats, Twig! Dallas isn't so bad. Above all, it's cheap, though you'll definitely need a car. Still, it didn't fuck me up too much growing up there!