gdf

Life

Well when I posted in here about not wanting to go to game jams because I think I suck everyone was like "FUCK YOU GO ANYWAY YOU STUPID SHIT" (direct quote), so I think you're fine.

Does anyone else have friends or come in to contact with twenty somethings who buy in to this Illuminati controlling the world shit and watch badly produced documentaries on Youtube and bow down to Alex Jones? Also do they tend to smoke a bunch of weed? And on top of that are they libertarian?

If anyone is a combination of two or more of those things above, I really just don't want to talk to them ever again. I must say, years ago I sort of bought in to the 9/11 truther stuff and watched Zeitgeist until I just got the feeling that things are much more problematic due to inefficiency in government than any kind of evil master plan by some faceless organization. Also I got more in to the Metal Gear Solid series since and realized this stuff makes great works of fiction (or at least complicated and hard to follow stuff that hooks you) and probably should stay that way. Also I just watched Brazil again recently and realized that it is a very accurate dystopian society because it's controlled by fuck ups and lazy, self absorbed, apathetic people rather than anyone who has a god damn clue what they are doing. Love that movie.

Though, problem is I live in Austin, Texas and I come in to contact with these people nearly every time I go to some public place. Really obnoxious. This is not my city at all, but I'm stuck here.

Well when I posted in here about not wanting to go to game jams because I think I suck everyone was like "FUCK YOU GO ANYWAY YOU STUPID SHIT" (direct quote), so I think you're fine.

Yes but don't you have experience in doing these things?

I'm at most an armchair game designer with almost no coding experience :/

Yeah I'm a professional programmer, assuming I ever get another job (ha ha ha).

But I don't think that really matters. Number one reason I'm apprehensive is because social situations make me more nervous than anything else in life and so I choose the easy way out most of the time. I wouldn't use ME as a baseline for anything good.

Sorry to repost something, but I'm still curious;

Would anyone recommend joining a Game Jam if you have little/no experience?

I want to join to visit their workshops, but i don't want to hinder my team.

Should I go in with more experience next year, or is it safe to join with relatively low experience?

The only thing you have to lose is some time and maybe some shine from your ego. The potential gains would seem to be much greater (experience, fun, learning, connecting with like-minded people).

Does anyone else have friends or come in to contact with twenty somethings who buy in to this Illuminati controlling the world shit and watch badly produced documentaries on Youtube and bow down to Alex Jones? Also do they tend to smoke a bunch of weed? And on top of that are they libertarian?

I've had one or two, and tried to talk to them about organisations being too dumb to execute on anything so elaborate without leaving a ton of actual evidence, and that large forces don't necessarily have intent or an agenda behind them, but they're utterly convinced of… whatever they read on the internet that feeds this thing they have.

Yes but don't you have experience in doing these things?

I'm at most an armchair game designer with almost no coding experience :/

If you go to a jam and anyone is snooty about that, they are an asshole. Jams are where you get to try new stuff in an environment full of motivated and interested people. Just keep your ambitions and project scope low; the biggest mistake most people make at their first jam is thinking they'll get way more done in their weekend/day/four hours than is possible.

How do you deal with interviews?

The only thing you have to lose is... maybe some shine from your ego.

I laughed at this for quite a bit.

I don't think this will be a problem in the slightest.

Thanks for the reassurance Thumbs. I'll sign the forms and stuff tomorrow.

If anyone is going to the Vancouver GGJ @ UBC send me a pm and maybe we can grab lunch.

I must say, years ago I sort of bought in to the 9/11 truther stuff and watched Zeitgeist until I just got the feeling that things are much more problematic due to inefficiency in government than any kind of evil master plan by some faceless organization. 

I can't recall where who said this, probably a stand-up comedian: It's scary if there's a giant corporation or network controlling everything, but the thought that nobody is in control, and everybody is incompetent is much, much scarier. 

I tend to accuse people who buy into conspiracy theories of being gullible. You're so desperate to dismiss authority that you'll take the word of some dude on the internet with no evidence that everyone else doesn't have access to? Like, there are actual things those in charge are lying about and you're going to care about 'we didn't fly planes into the World Trade Centre'? How gullible do you have to be to believe e.g. that there's someone in charge of the world, and that they're effective enough to not get caught but not effective enough to actually organise shit?

Some people are just more prone to cult mentality and it overrides their ability to think rationally. A rational person would be able to draw the reasonable conclusion that if major governments can't prevent massive leaks of sensitive information, then some secret society that supposedly controls those governments and everything else wouldn't fare any better. Unless Jay Z really is just that good.

If anyone is a combination of two or more of those things above, I really just don't want to talk to them ever again.

I say leave the weed part out (cause I smoke a lot of it). All it really takes is for someone to be libertardian or bow down to Alex Jones. I can say with 100% confidence (backed up by science and stuff) that there is a causal relationship between either of those things and the belief in Illuminati nonsense whereas the weed thing is just an unfortunate correlation. 

Unless Jay Z really is just that good.

Oh god, the music symbolism thing is even more nuts. I don't even know where to begin with that.

Yeah I meant more like not all marijuana smokers are conspiracy nuts, but more often than not, the conspiracy nuts I meet smoke a ton of weed. It would seem like there's a lot of crazy old men on the internet who are also deeply paranoid and have deep roots in conspiracy culture and probably aren't smoking, but I also don't meet a lot of old men.

Interviewing students for (paid) placements today. One no show without notice. Kids these days:/ The three other candidates we had were all good though, we actually had to make decisions!

A rational person would be able to draw the reasonable conclusion that if major governments can't prevent massive leaks of sensitive information, then some secret society that supposedly controls those governments and everything else wouldn't fare any better.

Arguing similarly, I once got a magnificently flip-minded "But that's just a smokescreen! They're deliberate leaks!" from a conspiracy cultist :)

Unless Jay Z really is just that good.

Ahhaha, I hadn't heard of this one. "Jay-Z is doing the hand thing again! It's the prelude to a one-world government!"

I absolutely love following conspiracy theories. Not because I believe in them, but more as another form of fiction, a sort of "what-if" version of events. "What if the government actually did cause 9/11?" is just an interesting thing to think about, but not something to take seriously.

I will admit that it wasn't always that way with me, and for a period I did believe a lot of these weird conspiracy theories... then it was around the time I basically sat down and played the first two Metal Gear Solid's back-to-back that I made some connections between the obviously bullshit fiction stories of MGS1&2, and the theories I'd been reading about, and I had a bit of a shift in perspective, where suddenly what I had been reading as "fact" I now couldn't help but look at as if it were part of a Metal Gear game, and it really sort of threw me out of the beliefs I had at the time. It seems a little silly to say that playing those games helped change me, but that's kind of exactly what happened. They went from seeming real and secretive and exciting to all seeming kind of silly.

See?! It's just like I said earlier, Metal Gear Solid is an opiate to the masses created to distract us all from the real threat and mislead us into thinking it's all a big fiction!

Morgellon's fibers are nanomachines!

After a couple year hiatus, the company I work for is back on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For list.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/2014/snapshots/73.html?iid=BC14_fl_list

It's always interesting to see how a lot of the companies on this list operate and seeing that we made the list is pretty awesome.