gdf

Life

I couldn't feel anything in my left foot, I rubbed some skin away on my right foot, my muscles ache and I had trouble breathing, but goddamn it I ran 5 kilometres. I ran 5 kilometres in about half an hour, which is not a bad clip.

I have to exercise to keep my head level, particularly now when anxiety and depression are staying over, but if I can keep that speed and push out my distance I'll be well placed for the gorgeous and hugely entertaining City 2 Surf in August. I did it last year, running and then walking, and got 128 minutes over 14 kilometres, and the par time is 90 minutes. If I can run all the way I'll be incredibly pleased, but if I run all the way I'll have run up Heartbreak Hill and that's an accomplishment in itself.

I go to sleep every night thinking to myself, "Tomorrow's the day I start running." Then I wake up and I don't want to  - not because it's hard and I fear the challenge (and boy oh boy would it be a challenge for my body to run even a few FEET) but because it's an activity that I absolutely loathe. There's always the possibility that over time I would grow to enjoy it. I've heard such things from a number of people who proclaim to have once been of a similar mindset. But fuuuuuck it's so boring.

I want access to an indoor swimming pool. I love swimming.

I am lucky to live in a gorgeous area where I can, with only minor adjustments, run a flat route along the beach, a hilly route around a bay, up a leafy, well-heeled suburb with lots of hills, a restaurant district and working-class suburbia, a university, or an enormous park. I find gyms incredibly boring, but having actual scenery is super-great. I also used a fitness game to train me up - the voice in my headphones would cut in and say that it was time to start running, or stop, or do knee lifts, and it developed a story as I went so each week, and each run, had different contours to it. Thankfully there's also a version for accomplished runners that adds way more stuff.

Twig, don't run if you hate running. Or, run until you Stockholm Syndrome it. Or, find an exercise that you do like. Swimming might not work, but how about walking or jogging? Light fitness that you can do in your own home? Biking? Hiking? Facebook Liking?

Maybe not that last one.

I've made a hobby out of forcing myself to do stuff I'm predisposed to hate, like running. So far it sucks, but I guess that makes it the best.

I usually switch up my workout routine every few months. I'll do a stint of jogging a mile or 2 every other day, then I'll get bored and move on to yoga, or do a stupid Gillian Michaels workout DVD.

I would imagine the dread you feel about doing a workout you loathe has to counteract the some of the positive benefits of the workout itself. I also find that the more bored I am in a workout the more careless I am, which means injuries! Hopefully you can find a gym/ymca in your area with pool.

Regular exercise helps me a TON with my day-to-day depression. Whenever I start feeling that kind of bad it tends to correspond with times I've been too busy to exercise...

Twig, don't run if you hate running. Or, run until you Stockholm Syndrome it. Or, find an exercise that you do like. Swimming might not work, but how about walking or jogging? Light fitness that you can do in your own home? Biking? Hiking? Facebook Liking?

Maybe not that last one.

Walking and jogging have the same problem. BORING. I'd love to go hiking but only WITH somebody, as a social activity or whatever. Biking I'm okay with as a means of travel but don't want to do it every day.

Do you see my problem. Swimming is the only fitness activity I even remotely enjoy, and I enjoy it a lot. O WOE IS ME.

I go for walks when I wake up, I'd suggest listening to an audio book or podcast. It helps with the monotony.

Walking and jogging have the same problem. BORING. I'd love to go hiking but only WITH somebody, as a social activity or whatever. Biking I'm okay with as a means of travel but don't want to do it every day.

Do you see my problem. Swimming is the only fitness activity I even remotely enjoy, and I enjoy it a lot. O WOE IS ME.

So what's the problem? No swimming pools around? Hard to believe.

No money to access a swimming pool. I think there is a gym with one nearby if I had the money.

In that case, I hope your job seeking works out and then you'll be able to swim as much as you want.

The endorphins make running much better after a while, though I only find it bearable with music.

I seem to be immune to this prticular trope. Never released shit for me.

So after a week it has become clear that the class I have taken over for the next six months is that class. The one where all the other teachers in the school look at you with unconcealed pity in their eyes when you walk past them in the hall. I got the crazy ones, you guys. On the other hand, it's quickly becoming clear to me that, for all their behavioural issues, this is a freaking BRIGHT class of seven-year-olds. What this means is, if I can calm them the hell down for long enough to learn something, they will absolutely rock whatever I am trying to teach them. These kids are super smart, and the literacy program at this school is great, so they can write as well or better than the kids two grades above them that I was working with for the last four months. Very cool. Over the past three days, I have been noticing an improvement in their behaviour, so that's rad. If the class and I can find a state of equilibrium where I can get them going on something and we can work together on the distraction level, this could be an amazing six months. If we can't figure each other out, it could be absolute torture. Fingers crossed!

Miffy, are you sure this is your life? I swear I've watched this movie before. At the end, you give an inspiring speech, because even though the school board is getting rid of you, the learning was inside them all along?

Just remember to use hip youth slang to connect with them.

Good luck Miffy. I'm sure you'll do great! Kids are cool, in theory, and I really respect the ones that can tolerate them in practice.

Miffy's been living most of his life, living in a gangsters paradise imho.

Really a middle school is a gangster's paradise. They're old enough to have money, but young enough to be no threat to you.

So after a week it has become clear that the class I have taken over for the next six months is that class.

Drums! Get them tired enough on bashing drums and screaming, and they'll be better at everything else for the rest of the day.

Yeah, sounds like a movie in the making. You should tell them you are secretly doing a documentary and maybe they'll even volunteer shooting it with their phones.

The biggest question is of course, Miffy, were you able to drive your car through the door?

Squash is the only exercise that stuck for me. So much fun. It can be hard finding a partner who wants to go as often though.