gdf

Life

Spent the day snowed in listening to idle thumbs and making vido gams. Puts me in a weird hypnotic state where I keep repeating the same keystrokes over and over...F...U...C...K...N...I...

Mix8Tiu.gif

I missed snow, too. Now I'm visiting my parents in Ohio.

Dang there's a lot of snow.

I kind of don't want to leave tomorrow.

(Except I do because I'm SOOOOO BOOOOORED.)

He then detailed some stupid plan where I pay $200 to get licensed and then take some kind of training courses online in the evenings and all weekends for four weeks while I go in to their office 8-5 on Monday through Friday to learn the ropes, also with no pay.

What a fucking lowlife douchebag, I bet he starts beasting people as they approach the point where he'll have to start paying them too. This made me laugh though:

"Are you ready to work outside the box?"

There's a place I walk past in Nottingham with fancy graphic design, an architectural model near the window, and signs that often say they're recruiting. They always have people waiting in there, so I got curious and looked them up: They're a telesales company, and it seems obvious now that they have a really high staff turnover.

You should have shown him the immaculatly crafted and epically painted box you work in.

That is so lame. Did he tell you him mom makes $66 an hour working from home as well?

What a fucking lowlife douchebag, I bet he starts beasting people as they approach the point where he'll have to start paying them too. This made me laugh though:

There's a place I walk past in Nottingham with fancy graphic design, an architectural model near the window, and signs that often say they're recruiting. They always have people waiting in there, so I got curious and looked them up: They're a telesales company, and it seems obvious now that they have a really high staff turnover.

The sad thing is that they must get enough people into the scheme to make it profitable, or else they'd have closed already.

So it's been super cold outside here in Toronto for the past few days. This morning when I left for work I believe it was -240C and with the wind chill factored in it was -370C. I usually walk to work and it takes around half an hour from my house to get there. I make it to the building and see that the power's out. The maintenance dude tells us to gather around in the cafeteria and wait until the city's emergency power guys get here. So we're just sitting around in the dark using our smartphones as flashlights. After about an hour the power's back on and we were able to get back to our normal routine. Now here comes the fun part.

One of my co-workers notices that my right ear is super red and swollen. I touch my ear and say "I'm fine, it's just cold". A few minutes later the entire floor is around me telling me that I should "go see a doctor because that's not normal". Once again I insist I am fine and that I don't feel any pain or anything. Moments later, my Boss practically drags me out of my chair and drives me to the hospital. He takes me through ER and I see a doctor who says I might have severe frostbite. I had a chance to actually look for myself in the mirror. And yep, bright red, swollen with blisters. Fuck me. She freezes the area, cleans the blisters and bandages my entire head. Then gives me super drowsy pain medications (even though I insist I am not in pain). 

She makes an appointment for me to go see a plastic surgeon first thing tomorrow morning. I ask her if that's really necessary. She just looks at me and smiles.

Now I've been home for about 3hrs, the pain meds are wearing off and I feel like an idiot. I am just sitting here stressing out. I wonder just how bad the frostbitten area is? Am I going to need surgery? Am I going to lose my ear? Fuck me.

The funny thing is my left ear is totally fine. My right is swollen as hell and I look like an idiot. So if there's a positive side to this it's that I look like a circus freak.

More updates to come after I see the plastic surgeon tomorrow.

I'm so glad you work with people that take care of you in spite of yourself.

I've lived in Helsinki for close to a year now and damn I miss a proper winter. Helsinki is like a darker Glasgow at winter. A bit of snow and moderately cold weather is much more livable than this.

I've got to say though, the winter we have this year in the nordic countries is completely weird. 2013 was the mildest winter ever, with only one snow day where I live.

We usually get a lot more snow than this...

Yeah, it's relatively warm (though windy) here too. It's mostly 4 - 7C with low humidity, which is fine for cycling and unusual for December/January. I've not had to get any of my cold weather gear out at all this winter.

Ah well, at least it wasn't CutCo.

I think I nearly got suckered into an interview to sell knives and speakers door to door last month under disguise of "marketing assistant."

he makes an appointment for me to go see a plastic surgeon first thing tomorrow morning. I ask her if that's really necessary. She just looks at me and smiles.

Now I've been home for about 3hrs, the pain meds are wearing off and I feel like an idiot. I am just sitting here stressing out. I wonder just how bad the frostbitten area is? Am I going to need surgery? Am I going to lose my ear? Fuck me.

The funny thing is my left ear is totally fine. My right is swollen as hell and I look like an idiot. So if there's a positive side to this it's that I look like a circus freak.

Glad your ear got saved, just curious though, is plastic surgery in Canada paid for as part of an instance like this?

I think I nearly got suckered into an interview to sell knives and speakers door to door last month under disguise of "marketing assistant."

"Shake hands with a SlashCo!"

Anyway, I got that job. I am now a third grade teacher through June. Teaching jobs are supposed to be brutally difficult to get, but they seem to have a tendency to fall into my lap. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Still, over the next six months I now have a contract that promises me substantially more money than an entire year at my last job would have given me, and it's also way more fun. On the downside, I will now be working Mondays and thus unable to take part in Grand Thumb Autos until March break.

[scam job]

What a bizarre thing.

Oh wow, that's weird. Having been involved in something similar before, a warning light went off when you made your first post about it, but I thought, nah, it's probably fine.

I was 16-17 when I responded to a job ad about about telephone operator something something vagueness. In the interview it was presented as a service that blocks phone salesmen. How would we sell this? Over the phone, of course. 

I got hired with a bunch of people the same age. The thing is, there's already a state registrery where you can reserve yourself against phone salesmen, so this service was basically registering them there + some other nebulus register I'm not sure ever existed.

After a couple of weeks calling people selling them a free service, the manager they hired in my town came upon articles about the company that it was in trouble for being fraudulent in their original town, so she messaged us to not come in. The boss was like "no, this is old, we're legit, etc", but by the time he managed to come back, the company was declared bankrupt, and I never got the ~150$ I earned those weeks.

Since then, I never apply for a job without knowing exactly what it is and what the company does.

I did indeed see this and subsequently thought of you. Hope your appointment goes well, iceman!

_72145538_72145537.jpg

Beyond human

What is it like becoming a cyborg? BBC Future's Frank Swain finds out

Hah Iceman! That's also the new nickname my co-workers have given me.

Anyway my appointment with the plastic surgeon went quite well actually. He said it's not serious enough to operate on and just told to me to absolutely stay the hell out of the cold. I have to apply this Flamazine cream they use on burned skin twice a day and take some painkillers, but everything is good! I have another follow up appointment with him on monday. So I'm hoping atleast the swelling will go down by then.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

I'm having a crummy time lately. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks, I'm not making enough money to keep up with my bills, and depression keeps hitting me hard when I'm down.  :getmecoat

I'm having a crummy time lately. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks, I'm not making enough money to keep up with my bills, and depression keeps hitting me hard when I'm down.  :getmecoat

If Thunderpeel were here, he'd say (and in fact just did on Facebook):

For everyone else prone to anxiety/insomnia (and or depression), I SERIOUSLY recommend the book Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World. After struggling for years it has worked wonders for me. It's all based on peer reviewed scientific research, it's not just one guy claiming to have answers to everything, but no evidence to back it up. Once it's been explained it suddenly all makes sense. Here's a link.

The US title says it's an 8 week program, but really it's something you need to keep up the rest of your life -- like going to the gym or eating well -- (or until your daily circumstances change maybe -- I spend my entire day problem solving or thinking at the moment, which is a big part of the problem), but once you feel better, you're happy to do it.

I know I'm probably the worst salesman in the world. All I can say is: As someone who didn't know anxiety until later in life, and who was always very happy and calm growing up, this is definitely the path back to that place I knew when I was younger.

Is anyone participating in the global game jam Janurary 24th?

I'm considering going to the ggj vancouver meetup but am honestly a little hesitant/scared. I have 0 experience, don't know anything about the process of the event, and don't have anyone to go with.

I really want to learn unity, and want to attend the workshops they have, but can't without joining the jam and being put on a team to actually make a game.

Do you think gamejams are a good way to learn? or should I wait until I have a bit more experience?