gdf

Life

How about the "what is a weakness you have and how will you deal with it?" question? That's a really useful one.

interviewee: "My weakness is that I'm honest"

interviewer: "I don't think that's a weakness"

interviewee: "I don't fucking care what you think"

I have internet again! After a week since my modem fried I finally have internet once again! HOORAY! I've missed you all so much.

Oh man, I thought quitting would be hardest the first 3 days, but today is the worst. I'm very cranky and have a constant craving for nicotine. Also I'm sick of using alcohol as consolation so that stopped helping :)

Take it in small amounts of time.  Say to yourself "I will not have nicotine for the next five minutes."  Five minutes without nicotine is easy!  You can do that without even thinking about it!  Then, do it again, just another 5 minutes... etc.

Yeah, I'm managing so far, it's just annyoing. It might also help if I threw away the snus I still have left in my fridge. I thought it would suck to just throw it away and I'll give it to a colleague who still uses it, but might be best just to throw it away.

Also, you know what's funny. I went to the cinema, but the movie I wanted to see was sold out so I went to see Snowpiercer (don't recommend), which is about a goddamn perpeetum mobile train that drivers around a frizeb Earth in a year amd holds the last survivors of mankind. I was still feeling the need for cigarettes in the cinema and then the movie had a goddamn scene where someone was smoking the last cigarette in the world. Fuck that movie.

PS how are you doing?

I'm doing well.  I was a light smoker at best, and only smoked cloves, so the transition to "sweet tasting vapour" was easy.  My smoking was so situational that I could go 2-3 days without a cigarette but as soon as a situation popped up (driving, or after a meeting) where I'd usually smoke, I found it very hard to stop myself.  

Having the e-cig, plus my apartment complex's ban on smoking anywhere on the premises (even outside) helps.  I know realistically I've just swapped addictions from analogues to e-cigarette, but I feel like this gives me more flexibility to step down the nicotine until it's 100% psychological/behavioral addiction and 0 physical dependence.

P.S.  Do not watch Mad Men until you are months clean.  That damn show's early seasons press my smoking buttons so hard.

«I thought it would suck to just throw it away and I'll give it to a colleague who still uses it.» – Erkki's brain

Family sucks because they all think I'm like super smart just because I'm a programmer and don't realize that I'm competing against other programmers in this highly competitive job market and even if I was super smart (I'm not) I'm not super smarter than these other super smart people. I hate when my mom brings up my lack of a job and is like, "You'll be fine", and then acts all shocked and surprised when I'm pessimistic after months of not having a job.

DANG.

Visiting family sucks.

Family sucks because they all think I'm like super smart just because I'm a programmer and don't realize that I'm competing against other programmers in this highly competitive job market and even if I was super smart (I'm not) I'm not super smarter than these other super smart people. I hate when my mom brings up my lack of a job and is like, "You'll be fine", and then acts all shocked and surprised when I'm pessimistic after months of not having a job.

DANG.

Visiting family sucks.

Move to the SF Bay Area, receive programming job, get cash monies, still feel empty in life, wonder what it all means, word B)

I'm in SF.

:blink: How do you not have a job? Sure there's competition, but there's more openings than competition. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely curious.

Good question.

(Because I want to make games. I haven't been applying to non-games because I know that will make me even more miserable.)

Yeah, I don't have a job either.

Though there is a possibility that my unemployment may be directly linked with my laziness...

Good question.

(Because I want to make games. I haven't been applying to non-games because I know that will make me even more miserable.)

Ouch. Ok yeah most every game company is going to want you to bring in game stuff you've already made. Game jams and mods are really helpful for this, at Molyjam there's actually people that come to recruit from the entrants and hand out business cards and stuff. From what I've seen and heard, even degrees aren't that helpful. They might put you over the edge, but between someone with a comp sci degree and someone with direct experience, even non commercial stuff like a mod, the latter is more likely to get in.

Not to offend Twig, but I assume there is a lot of freelance programming work needed online. There may not be a lot of paid work but at least you'll get some reference work.

Honestly, game prog grunt work is a small field filled with eager jobwanters, so it's difficult to get in;  I think we've discussed this before, right?   That's why I opted for infosec where there's not as much competition and you get to say "Splunk" a lot. 

I feel your pain though, Twig.  If I knew of any openings I'd tell ya.

What's your main language?

Not to offend Twig, but I assume there is a lot of freelance programming work needed online. There may not be a lot of paid work but at least you'll get some reference work.

will you say "work for exposure" next

I slept for twelve hours last night and had a three hour nap in the afternoon. Now it's 2am and I can't sleep at all.