gdf

Life

February is FILTH! It's like, December has the festivities, then January is a breath of air and repose, but then February swings along... besides more winter, it brings the Dutch carnaval, a time when reasonable people flee to the north.

Well im feeling pretty good about life :) training for my spartan race next year, the only thing keeping me going to the gym in the dark... bought a new comic book too. Im sick of the weather being just cold and windy, I WANT SNOW!!!

A 'Dutch Carnival' sounds like it could become particularly unpleasant

OI WATCH OUT MATE YOU'LL GET A DUTCH CARNIVAL OFF OF THAT

Considering the level of derogatory slang referring to the Dutch (well, to the Germans too, but that etymology's lost), I'd believe it.

Seriously though, Dutch courage, Dutch wife, Dutch uncle, Dutch oven, going Dutch... Lots of leftover racism left in American English, to the surprise of no one.

EDIT: Oh man, Wiktionary has so many more. I recognize "Dutch auction" (an auction that starts high and goes down until someone pays up) and "Dutch comfort" (the pleasure of knowing your bad situation could be worse), but "in Dutch" (in trouble or disfavor), "Dutch gold" (brass), "Dutch pink" (blood), "Dutch reckoning" (a bill of sale intended to confuse and cheat), and "Dutch treat" (a present or trip for which the recipient must pay) are all news to me. What a wonderful way of immortalizing the simplicity, greed, violence, and stupidity of our Continental brethren!

I've never heard the first three, "Dutch oven" doesn't seem particularly racist (unless you also consider French fries racist, which is absurd), and I don't know anyone in recent times who actually uses the phrase "going Dutch".

When I hear "Dutch" I just think of a race of people without connotation because I know nothing about them!

Oh I guess there's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven_(practical_joke)#Practical_jokes which I've never heard of. Is it rooted in something vile or is it just a dumb extension of how Dutch ovens actually work?

I've also never heard any of the ones that you added in your edit. 

I mean I'm not saying American slang isn't overflowing with subtle and not-so-subtle accidental and purposeful racism (the most surprising to me being "gypped", which I only realized once I learned how it was spelled (assuming it was spelled "jipped" for many, many, many years)), but these are all new to me!

Oh I guess there's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven_(practical_joke)#Practical_jokes which I've never heard of. Is it rooted in something vile or is it just a dumb extension of how Dutch ovens actually work?

I've also never heard any of the ones that you added in your edit. 

I mean I'm not saying American slang isn't overflowing with subtle and not-so-subtle accidental and purposeful racism, but these are all new to me!

Whatever man, "Dutch courage" has half a million hits on Google, it's not obscure. But hey, if people are forgetting them, it's probably for the best. "Dutch uncle" has gone from being a mixed compliment to almost entirely pejorative in my lifetime, so it ought to just die out.

Anyway, I think the Dutch oven, as in the home appliance, comes from the late eighteenth century, while I can only really trace it as a flatulence prank back to the eighties. There are implications of cheapness, rusticity, and simplicity to the term "Dutch" with the oven though, the same way we call it "Scotch tape" because Scottish and Irish immigrants were what people were worried about in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.

I didn't say it was obscure, just that I've never heard it. And I have literally no idea what it means. I couldn't even begin to make an educated guess, except that I know it's somehow supposed to be demeaning to the Dutch I GUESS?

I can't believe Dutch oven has that kind of underlying connotation to it. That's absurd.

Well I can believe it. But I won't.

I didn't say it was obscure, just that I've never heard it. And I have literally no idea what it means. I couldn't even begin to make an educated guess, except that I know it's somehow supposed to be demeaning to the Dutch I GUESS?

I can't believe Dutch oven has that kind of underlying connotation to it. That's absurd.

Well I can believe it. But I won't.

Well, the nice thing about history is that you don't have to believe it. It'll just repeat itself until you do.

And now that I'm looking, the Oxford English Dictionary itself says that, while "Dutch oven" was originally meant to signify the origin of the appliance, it shifted during nineteenth-century tensions with German immigrants in America to mean an oven for someone too poor or too cheap to buy a real stove. This happened a lot in the past, see "Scotch tape," and is probably still happening now with Muslims or whatever, but I'm lucky enough to be insulated from the latter.

Anyway, "Life" thread, right?

The nice thing about meanings is they change and it definitely no longer means that so who cares we can all say it free of guilt.

The nice thing about meanings is they change and it definitely no longer means that so who cares we can all say it free of guilt.

Hey, I didn't say you had to feel guilty. That's all on you. It's just nice to know, right? Knowledge is power and all that.

«Dutch carnival» could totally be some wild designer venereal disease. I love how in language, the world sees us as cheapskates, liars, frauds, blustering idiots or drunken braggards. I wonder if the trend started with Voltaire, who famously said of us that we were a country of «canaux, canards, canaille», canals, ducks and riffraff.

«Dutch carnival» could totally be some wild designer venereal disease. I love how in language, the world sees us as cheapskates, liars, frauds, blustering idiots or drunken braggards. I wonder if the trend started with Voltaire, who famously said of us that we were a country of «canaux, canards, canaille», canals, ducks and riffraff.

I think it's because you guys made the mistake of going to war with the English in the mid-seventeenth century, then they went on to rule half the world. Even giving them one of your own for a king didn't fix it.

Considering the level of derogatory slang referring to the Dutch (well, to the Germans too, but that etymology's lost), I'd believe it.

Seriously though, Dutch courage, Dutch wife, Dutch uncle, Dutch oven, going Dutch... Lots of leftover racism left in American English, to the surprise of no one.

EDIT: Oh man, Wiktionary has so many more. I recognize "Dutch auction" (an auction that starts high and goes down until someone pays up) and "Dutch comfort" (the pleasure of knowing your bad situation could be worse), but "in Dutch" (in trouble or disfavor), "Dutch gold" (brass), "Dutch pink" (blood), "Dutch reckoning" (a bill of sale intended to confuse and cheat), and "Dutch treat" (a present or trip for which the recipient must pay) are all news to me. What a wonderful way of immortalizing the simplicity, greed, violence, and stupidity of our Continental brethren!

It's clear somebody fears the Dutch.

And they should :P

I emailed my Dallas job contact again. Now I wait for a response which will inevitably be "we don't know yet" or "sorry no you're not good enough you miserable ingrate".

Hooooooo-ray!

There is a delete scene on hot Shots. After the erotic egg frying on the lady's belly, they had planned to cut to a scene of them baking bread in a Dutch oven, but ended up editing it.

Taking the test for my California licence tomorrow.  I've been a licenced driver for 15 years but the idea of taking the test still gives me the heeble jeebles.

It's hardest to take those tests when you've been doing it for years. The longer I'm in IT the harder the certification tests get.