gdf

Life

Well it's not a guaranteed job yet!

Actually what I'm most concerned about is that I don't have a driver's license. U: I let it lapse over a year ago and never got a new one because public transportation is so good here in San Francisco.

(Also concerned about the HEAT.)

Yeah, you'll need a license and car, if you get the job and move there. No one walks anywhere in Texas, period. No one really even goes outside much at all, except during the balmy forty-degree winters. But rent's cheap if you're not living in Uptown or something, so you can afford those hefty electric bills for A/C.

Man, through an unfortunate chain of events, I just ended up doing a phone interview solo, and by that I mean I was the interviewer. I have never flubbed and stumbled so much on the phone before. I was more nervous doing that than I ever have as an interviewee.

Which guy? I haven't had the interview in Texas, yet. It's getting set up. U:

The CBE paid me! It only took a month and a half, rather than the two to two-and-a-half that it could have! I was able to pay my rent for next month, pay off the credit card that had been tallying up during the period since the last time I had money, and have some stashed that can be used to fix my car up a bit (though not enough to fix it up all the way). I'll need to set some of that aside, as student loans start to come due next month, but I feel like I'm actually in a pretty survivable state right now. Pay is monthly where I'm at now, rather than every other week, so what I have left has to last me until the last week of October. It'll be a little tight given that this cheque had to go to two months' worth of expenses, but I can make it work. Thanks once more to the super generous forumite (again, not naming names in case they wish to remain anonymous) who came out of nowhere with some cash to get me through this month. That was one of the nicest random gestures I've ever experienced and made it possible for me to make it through the period in which I was not being paid without incurring crippling debt. I will be paying it forward when the opportunity arrives, and you are an impossibly kind human being.

Good luck on your interview, Twig!

Ask if they have a bottle of Lone Star so you can cool off. Then put your boots up on the desk.

Also mention how you had to change the wheel on your hurricane-proof truck on the way over.

This all seems to be sound advice. I will take it to heart!

In other news, I took a programming test for a company a while ago, and failed it because I misread the instructions. That's fair, right? Except...

"So it turns out you didn't misread it…but the instructions were contradictory/ambiguous."

A month later! MY FACE: |:

I don't know why, but I seem to have been paid this month ~2x as much as I was expecting. Well, that's a nice surprise!!

Yeah, you'll need a license and car, if you get the job and move there. No one walks anywhere in Texas, period. No one really even goes outside much at all, except during the balmy forty-degree winters. But rent's cheap if you're not living in Uptown or something, so you can afford those hefty electric bills for A/C.

How's Dallas' bus system? A lot of people seem to do alright in Houston on it.

Austin's public transportation seems to be complete ass though.

Good luck Twig!

How's Dallas' bus system? A lot of people seem to do alright in Houston on it.

Good luck Twig!

The DART light rail is very good (or was when I lived there) but not very extensive, because most of the middle- to upper-class neighborhoods see it only as a means for transporting vagrants into their precious little gated communities. Still, it's pretty good for getting to and from downtown.

The buses are alright, I guess. They'll get you where you need to go, but not quickly or efficiently. I'd say that they're fine for "I don't want to drive today," but not for "I don't want to drive ever."

Tomorrow I close on my new house.  I also start working long night shifts six days a week for the next month and a half.  So I get to work all night and move during the day.  This is gonna be fun.

I just realized I have three friends from three different times of my life all living in Dallas, right now. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to move there. O:

Interview is on the 9th. So far away!

Austin is one of our biggest clients right now and we installed our traffic management system at their TMC last year. They only have around 100 intersections on it right now but they will eventually have 800. Plus we are in the process of testing a transit priority system that should help the buses get through traffic a little quicker. It seems like they are at least making an effort to improve their public transportation.

I don't know why, but I seem to have been paid this month ~2x as much as I was expecting. Well, that's a nice surprise!!

Careful, my friend got double-paid once and they yanked the money back a week later, overdrawing his bank account and requiring him to pay them intrest on the amount they couldn't get back.

No it doesn't. I've owned a house for 7 years now. Today I bought kinder eggs. Nom.

And congrats! Looks awesome:)

Oh fuck now I want some chocolate.

Guess I'm gonna go buy some chocolate!

Put that money in the bank twig. All the cool kids have houses these days.