gdf

Life

that story is so vague i can't tell what the guy was angry about

He wasn't particularly clear about it either, and the focus of his anger kept on changing every time I tried to reason with him.

Anyway, I secretly love this kind of wanker in small doses, because staying calm winds them up so much. It was difficult to not laugh when he tried out the intimidating scowl.

Man, I feel like I'm losing my mind this week. I just can't seem to find a single spare second to do anything and the constant multi-tasking is making my head spin. It's frustrating to be at my wits end and not be able bitch about it to anyone because the only person I would bitch to is even more stressed out than me. Then again I did find the time to write this post so there's that.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!

Okay, I feel better. Nothing like an all caps f-bomb with exclamation points. Please kill help me.

Someone wanted to feel important, but Nachimir didn't give him that, so he settled for trying to ruin his day and his career instead. It's something that I ran into all the time working customer service, especially at Border's Books & Music.

Yeah, I have the same, working in customer service now. They good part is that I'm on the phone, so if they start yelling, I have a button that makes them go away. The guys in the store aren't as lucky.

Hey, look, one of the related videos features Kevin Eldon of Gun Monkeys fame!

Yeah, I have the same, working in customer service now. They good part is that I'm on the phone, so if they start yelling, I have a button that makes them go away. The guys in the store aren't as lucky.

I'll never forget the first day of Christmas rush, when an old lady came in and tried to exchange a book she'd been given sometime during the summer, with neither sticker nor receipt. I explained right away that it was against policy to accept a return in such condition, even if it were to have been under ninety days since sale, but that my manager could make an exception if she wanted to speak with him. She said that wouldn't be necessary, preferring instead to bend my ear for well over ten minutes, repeating herself in increasingly cruel and condescending ways, while a line built up behind her.

Finally, when she'd more or less said right out that I was stupid and lazy and that's why I wouldn't accept her return, because I didn't and couldn't know how, I said -- and, like Nachimir, I remember my exact words, for me because I really don't like being put on the spot -- "Ma'am, I understand that this is frustrating for you, but it is not my decision, so please don't be so mean to me." Well, then she wanted to speak with my manager. A couple minutes with him, then he sent me home with a warning about "disrespecting" customers and the rest of the week off. About the only things that made that day not a total wash were the next two people in line telling me how kind and patient they thought I had been. Fuck that place.

Wow. And he wouldn't even consider she was just a trouble-making bitch? Jeez.

A couple minutes with him, then he sent me home with a warning about "disrespecting" customers and the rest of the week off. About the only things that made that day not a total wash were the next two people in line telling me how kind and patient they thought I had been. Fuck that place.

Wow, that is seriously fucking atrocious :(

I wish people like that lady would be made to do service jobs for a year or two. Working in a bar for four years really did a lot for me in terms of learning how to interact with people.

Man, I feel like I'm losing my mind this week. I just can't seem to find a single spare second to do anything and the constant multi-tasking is making my head spin. It's frustrating to be at my wits end and not be able bitch about it to anyone because the only person I would bitch to is even more stressed out than me. Then again I did find the time to write this post so there's that.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!

Okay, I feel better. Nothing like an all caps f-bomb with exclamation points. Please kill help me.

If it makes you feel any better, I know how you feel.  I'm really busy at work and home with barely any time to relax, which I really REALLY need to right now.  Yesterday I thought that I had managed to get a little bit ahead and take care of some important things, only to find that I was wrong and in fact had even more stuff to do with less time to do it in.  This resulted in a mild panic attack yesterday, but luckily I got some kind words from a friend (thanks Tegan) that helped out a lot.

And to anyone who has/is/will work customer service or has to deal with people like Gormongous and Nachimir, I have nothing but sympathy.  It's sadly very easy to transfer anger at a company or policy to the individual you're speaking to even though it's in no way their fault.  If you can manage to get through those situations with a calm, courteous demeanor than you're a better person than I.

Wow. And he wouldn't even consider she was just a trouble-making bitch? Jeez.

Unfortunately, in many retail locations it is policy that a customer complaint requires a punishment, even if it's as unreasonable as that story. It's partially why asses get so far with that attitude.

Edit: Working as a contractor for a large tech company, I was often sent in to talk to the more touchy clients. I'd get occasional complaints and, while my manager listened to both sides of the story and was understanding (even when I had actually made a mistake,) his manager and the account manager from the large tech company would have long yelling type meetings about it after. I'll forever love and respect that manager for keeping me out of the line of fire.

Unfortunately, in many retail locations it is policy that a customer complaint requires a punishment, even if it's as unreasonable as that story. It's partially why asses get so far with that attitude.

Pretty much. Also, my manager really wanted to make corporate, which meant that he would have murdered me in front of my own family if it could have led to a customer giving positive feedback about him to the regional VP. In that light, I'm lucky that I got away with him just pretending to fire me. I really don't dwell too much on it now, if only because incidents like that one, once or twice a week, got me back to grad school and onto a career path that I love.

Still, it really didn't help my misanthropy, between soccer moms dropping off their kids in the coffee shop before coming to scream at me in lieu of what actually made them upset and old men going into the back of the store to break the spines of the books they wanted so that they could demand to have them for half price.

So my sister sleepwalks. 

It's almost 2AM here right now, and I just finished following her around the apartment assuring her that there were no geese hiding in the house. 

fell asleep feeling awfully depressed; wok up at 3-something am and started throwing up. I feel terrible. gonna try to go back to bed

The kitchen is still missing the gas range (which I'm stupidly excited to have because I hate cooking on electric) which will be in on Monday.  I have to get my own fridge.

I always love the pattern a fresh vaccuuming leaves on the carpet. U:

GUYS!!! I got me an on-site interview. In... Dallas, Texas. Not sure how I feel about working/living in Texas, to be honest, but it'll be new and I love new, so I'd probably take it if I ended up getting the position.

Still waiting to hear back from my other on-site interview. I guess they had a lot of applicants. Hohum.

GUYS!!! I got me an on-site interview. In... Dallas, Texas. Not sure how I feel about working/living in Texas, to be honest, but it'll be new and I love new, so I'd probably take it if I ended up getting the position.

Still waiting to hear back from my other on-site interview. I guess they had a lot of applicants. Hohum.

Cool, congratulations in advance! I lived in Dallas the first two decades of my life. If you need any advice at all, it's probably the place I know best on this earth.

First tip: no one's actually from Dallas proper. It's going to be one of the suburbs that make up the rest of the city, Grapevine Mills or Garland or something.

Well it's not a guaranteed job yet!

Actually what I'm most concerned about is that I don't have a driver's license. U: I let it lapse over a year ago and never got a new one because public transportation is so good here in San Francisco.

(Also concerned about the HEAT.)