gdf

Life

I considered the very thing. Afterwards I intend to have tea with the king. Surely the Dutch consul could arrange this for me?

I'm sure that can be arranged!

Hell, if you had come to Lidköping (Where I work) this weekend you could've met Carl Philip Bernadotte, the prince who is also a race car driver.

What those guys said about Stockholm. In the middle of Gamla Stan/Old town there's a great geek store called SciFi Bokhandelen. Fantasy/Sci Fi books, obscure movies, TV shows and cartoons/anime, and a full floor dedicated to board games. Worth a visit.

There's a place called Sticky Fingers that supposedly has Swedens best burgers, but there's always a wait to get a table, apparently, so I've never bothered going. I did however go to a place called Oliver Twist in the southern part of town, that also has fantastic burgers, and a big selection of proper beers. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

Do you have a hotel yet? The one we usually use is called Hotel Micro, they built a bunch of budget rooms in the bottom floors of a "proper" hotel, so you get linens and proper beds for hostel prices. =)

Also yeah, if you're ever nearer the Gothenburg area, let me know, and we will hang out. o/

What those guys said about Stockholm. In the middle of Gamla Stan/Old town there's a great geek store called SciFi Bokhandelen. Fantasy/Sci Fi books, obscure movies, TV shows and cartoons/anime, and a full floor dedicated to board games. Worth a visit.

There's a place called Sticky Fingers that supposedly has Swedens best burgers, but there's always a wait to get a table, apparently, so I've never bothered going. I did however go to a place called Oliver Twist in the southern part of town, that also has fantastic burgers, and a big selection of proper beers. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

Also yeah, if you're ever nearer the Gothenburg area, let me know, and we will hang out. o/

Are you sure you're not talking about Göteborg?

We've got both those places there as well :P

If it's in Stockholm as well I had no idea Sticky Fingers was actually a franchise

Are you sure you're not talking about Göteborg?

We've got both those places there as well :P

If it's in Stockholm as well I had no idea Sticky Fingers was actually a franchise

Argh, I was talking about Flipping Burgers in Stockholm. Sticky Fingers is indeed in GTB. Somehow I keep confusing those two names. SciFi Bokhandelen exists in both.

I'm getting kinda tired of how my best friend here behaves towards his girlfriend. You know when you're a dorky dude who gets his first date in junior high and you feel so lucky to even be talking to a girl, let alone kissing her, that you act like she's a goddess but also made of glass? No? Well, me neither, but that's how my friend treats the girl he's dating, even though they've been together a year and he's almost thirty.

Most of the time it's pretty easy to overlook. I mean, he'll insist on opening doors for her, getting things for her, and getting her approval on all decisions – and every so often she'll tell him to cut that shit out and he'll stop, albeit at the price of having him sulk around for the rest of the night and ask her over and over if she's mad. I've spoken with her at length and know for a fact that it bugs her as much as me, but she's willing to put up with the infantilizing treatment because he's good and kind, even if often to the point of excess.

But man, last night they came over to play board games and it got almost unbearable. The game was Galaxy Trucker and she got hit hard early. At once, my friend started demanding that we give his girlfriend however many mulligans were necessary for her to win anyway. She kept insisting that she was fine and didn't want or need to win, but we still sat there for almost ten minutes while my friend tried to bully me in her name. At one point, he implied that he'd take his things and leave if I didn't "treat [girl] right." It was so embarrassing for everybody.

Why are healthy relationships so hard to find? It makes me almost glad to be single still.

I made friends with those guys when I visited and they showed me around town, at one point attempting to bring me into this medieval inn thing. Good store. I bought A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords from there.

A 'bokhandel' in Dutch is a store that deals in billygoats. 

Sveriges is awesome.

They really have weird stores in Groningen

I'm getting kinda tired of how my best friend here behaves towards his girlfriend. You know when you're a dorky dude who gets his first date in junior high and you feel so lucky to even be talking to a girl, let alone kissing her, that you act like she's a goddess but also made of glass? No? Well, me neither, but that's how my friend treats the girl he's dating, even though they've been together a year and he's almost thirty.

Most of the time it's pretty easy to overlook. I mean, he'll insist on opening doors for her, getting things for her, and getting her approval on all decisions – and every so often she'll tell him to cut that shit out and he'll stop, albeit at the price of having him sulk around for the rest of the night and ask her over and over if she's mad. I've spoken with her at length and know for a fact that it bugs her as much as me, but she's willing to put up with the infantilizing treatment because he's good and kind, even if often to the point of excess.

But man, last night they came over to play board games and it got almost unbearable. The game was Galaxy Trucker and she got hit hard early. At once, my friend started demanding that we give his girlfriend however many mulligans were necessary for her to win anyway. She kept insisting that she was fine and didn't want or need to win, but we still sat there for almost ten minutes while my friend tried to bully me in her name. At one point, he implied that he'd take his things and leave if I didn't "treat [girl] right." It was so embarrassing for everybody.

Why are healthy relationships so hard to find? It makes me almost glad to be single still.

Is this his first relationship in a decade? Ever?

I believe I'm staying in the inner city. My hotel is in Sodermalm. Today I'm visiting the Vasa museum. The burger joints aren't helpful for a pescetarian, but I'm definitely visiting the nerd walhalla you described. Good one!

Is this his first relationship in a decade? Ever?

He met his wife during his second week of college. When they split a year ago, he told me that he understood how codependency and communication issues had led to his divorce, but then he stuck with the very first girl he met on OK Cupid. I think that he cares more about having a relationship than who is in the relationship with him, but doesn't really acknowledge how that combines with his lack of savvy towards women and leads to extreme dysfunction, even with someone nice like his current girlfriend.

I'm done trying to explain it to him, because it's always interpreted by him as "not supporting my happiness," but it still bothers me sometimes, because I'm a jerk who can't let things go.

Oh my god!! Shitty wifi ate my entire post!! Took me like an hour to type by phone! FML!

Okay, so, I'm in the US of A, landed in Phoenix (brick oven city) last week, visited the grand canyon, went hiking through Yosemite and Zion national park, drove through the blistering heat that is Death Valley, briefly stopped at Las Vegas and making our way to San Francisco now. Stopped in Sacremento for the night, which I guess has... Corn fields?

I continue to be amazed at the variety and beauty of the american landscape.

My 3 other traveling companions make me thankful for the fact that I never had roommates. I continue to be amazed at their ability to make a complete mess of things in less than a day. I have shaken my head in disbelief and disgust several times the past days.

Looking forward to San Francisco tomorrow!

This is freaky and horrible behaviour, and the chances of it just becoming more unhealthy seem strong. If I were her, I'd be dumping him very quickly. Does he just ignore her when she defends herself from his molly-coddling?

This would provoke a result, though it wouldn't be guaranteed positive: start treating him the way he treats her.

Man, your friend's relationship is so on a railway to failure. Might be better off just letting it play out and not getting involved with it whether it's talking to him or her. It sounds like she's only going to tolerate it for so long. If it means you can't stand to be around him then... well, you might want to consider that.

My flight from Europe to Seattle is 16 hours, including connections.

Just throwing it out there, incase anyone has any tips n tricks.

This would provoke a result, though it wouldn't be guaranteed positive: start treating him the way he treats her.

WAHAhahahaha do that, it'd be funny.

WAHAhahahaha do that, it'd be funny.

Even on the most comfortable if seats, your ass will get so sore. Take plenty of stretch walks.

If you are prone to the shits, dose yourself up with Imodium before going.

Get some in ear or noise cancelling headphones. The worst thing I find on planes is the background huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.

Don't sit near farty toilets or where the food is being heated.

Bring some food if, like me, you find airline food gross. (Or pretend to be Jewish, this Jewish girl beside me once got a kosher meal that looked a thousand times better than my 'I'm pretending to be a vegetarian' meal.) Don't pretend to be a vegetarian. There was salmon.

As sad as it is, I don't think I actually could, if I wanted to. There's a reason that my plan is to teach college rather than high school. I can't stand feeling like I'm talking down to someone.

Man, your friend's relationship is so on a railway to failure. Might be better off just letting it play out and not getting involved with it whether it's talking to him or her. It sounds like she's only going to tolerate it for so long.

Yeah, I hear she's moving back east in a year or so upon finishing her doctorate, no doubt with the intent of letting the distance do the breakup. Not the best thing, but whatever. I'm just worried that he'll try and follow her. If he does, I have to break my silence and remind him that this exact same scenario (moving across the country to live with a longtime girlfriend in a town where she has friends and he doesn't) was the inciting incident for his divorce.

I'm not looking forward to that conversation, but honestly? He's a pretty smart guy, in addition to an otherwise good friend. He used to exhibit other sexist behaviors, gaslighting especially, but changed in earnest after just one talk and now calls out others for the same. It's only my comments on these specific relationship behaviors that he's ignored, possibly because I'm not currently in a relationship myself and hence am not one to talk, in his eyes.

A year, even though she knows it's pretty much over? She really should call it a day both for herself and for him. If she's doing it to make it easier for him, maybe suggest that letting him waste another year of his life on a relationship that's going nowhere is going to do him far more harm than good. And it means she has to live with something she really doesn't want for a whole year. That's just crazy talk.

Edit: Of course, it's going to be difficult to say anything like this without you looking like a serious bad guy if he finds out, so yeah... shitty.

Airport japes:

- Take some unwanted paperback books and negotiate swaps with those of passing passengers

- Organize adhoc Blow Football matches and tournaments

- Set up a raffle for a matchbox supercar next to the terminal's obligatory Lambourghini Sweepstakes stand

- Tell the bored duty free staff you are making a YouTube show about their funniest and maddest airport stories. Then halfway through the interview have an accomplice roll up in an inflatable superman suit

A 'bokhandel' in Dutch is a store that deals in billygoats. 

Sveriges is awesome.

That would be a Bockhandel in Sweden :P

Does your friend not realize that the whole point of Galaxy Truckers is to have your ship explode into like a million pieces bit-by-bit while your mans spew out (screaming) into the infinite blackness of space? 

Yeah. Don't yell "BOMB!" in the middle of the flight.