gdf

Life

(Only at the moment when you truly revv up the overacting, of course.)

If you ask me, Lysander is a solid role in the most straightforward of Shakespeare's comedies. You won't regret putting in the time. It's no Oberon, let alone Puck, but there's room to put your mark on it and to have some good ensemble play.

Then again, there are ten million productions of A Midsummer Night's Dream every month and I have no idea what Gilbert Is Dead is, so maybe the latter is an even bigger opportunity.

Aye, I far prefer straight roles too. I'd feel uncomfortable attempting a Puck.

Gilbert is Dead is a relatively new play that, imo, looks and sounds really interesting. There's little information about it online, but here's a Guardian review http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/nov/06/gilbert-is-dead-review

ANYWAY CHAPS. ENOUGH FROM ME. I'VE GOT TO GO SHAG SOMETHING. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF.

(and if anyone is super confused by the flashheart, here is what we are referring to 

)

"Get you gone, you dwarf;
You minimus, of hindering knot-grass made;
You bead, you acorn."

Lysander is pretty sweet.

I played Puck once, but I was 11 and it was a pretty horrible production all around. All the fairies came scampering out to

. It was the most 90's thing I can possibly imagine. But I still have a fair amount of the closing monologue memorized.

So I decided to keep all three roles. It's going to be incredibly difficult, but I'd hate to look back and think 'Oh man if only I took that opportunity'. I think playing Meriwether in GiD should hopefully show off my acting ability to potential future casting crews, and Lysander should be a laugh.

And, well, Flashheart should be a doddle if I go OTT enough. :P

The trick will be to channel Rik Mayall without just copying the performance wholesale.

The trick will be to channel Rik Mayall without just copying the performance wholesale.

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to figure out. Are we literally just performing the TV show on stage, or are we performing the script? Two different, difficult things :(

It would be INCREDIBLE if you played the role completely straight and subtle, without any winking & mugging.

Hahaha. A self-effacing Flashheart, kinda boyish, would be hilarious. Unfortunately I think people will be going to see the show expecting something else!

Fuck 'em. They can expect what they want, and your understated, introspective Flashheart will blow them away.

I also think it'd be hard to say "she's got a tongue like an electric eel, and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils" entirely seriously :P

Well, move the emphasis from "man's" to "tonsils", that should be enough.

If you click the MORE REPLY OPTIONS button in this thread, there is a melodramatic heading "Replying to Life" right above your textarea. It made me roflmao for some reason.

I am on the verge of quitting with no backup plan and barely a few k in the bank + monthly debt payments.

It seems kinda crazy, but I have all of these projects in mind and no time to make them and I am sick of waiting for a time when I will have time to do these things. But then, I don't know how quickly I can monetize any of these… but I don't want a full-time job. I want something that would keep me barely afloat (and take not much of my time) while I spend the lion's share on my own projects and also just kinda living and doing things and walking my dogs at 10 am on a beautiful tuesday morning. It shouldn't be too difficult for something as fancy as Hobo Lobo to generate a couple of semi-fancy ("affordable haute couture rate") freelance gigs a month, do you think? I was also thinking about offering creative/design/development consultancy services. I also have this other project that I could conceivably Kickstart and maybe live off of for a short while... Does this sound like something that would be impossible to pull off? Hobo Lobo style?

At first I wanted to find another job and jump ship, but the more I draw it out, the more I realize I am sick of doing other people's bidding. But I might be getting myself into hot water because I have never done this sort of thing before and I don't know how good my professional network is. I would really have to get all of my shit together in a month or less before the money runs out… which would in turn be a bad time to start flailing and looking for a job… if only I had slightly fewer debts or slightly more money in the bank I would be so much more comfortable about this course of action.

Any chance you could work part time where you are at the moment? That said, sensing weakness they might just let you go.

I'm not going to give you any advice, simply because I don't know what to say. Just want to say, good luck! You are clearly a talented guy, and I'm sure you will do just fine whatever avenue you decide to pursue! I will definitely back your Kickstarter. (Ask Sean for advice on the pitch.)

About a month ago, a colleague of mine told me that he will quit as soon as he gets his licentiate thesis done. I was able to offer him a "huh?" and and one of my best confused looks. The more I thought of it, however, the more his decision made sense to me. He is an awesome guy and the work is just fine (although, unfortunately, he was stuck with a very annoying project at the time); the combination just didn't work out that well. When I asked him if he had his plans sorted out already, he shook his head and told me that he will start looking for a new job soon. His daughter is 1-2 years old, so I know that the decision must have been extremely hard for him. I wish him all the best, and still wonder why I didn't tell him that there and then.

Anyway, the point of that unstructured babble was that I respect his decision, and can totally see why someone may feel that he/she needs to get out, even if that puts him/her on a financially shaky ground.

Again, good luck!

Any chance you could work part time where you are at the moment? That said, sensing weakness they might just let you go.

This wouldn't be an ungood option, actually. I do know that they're trying to replace me already, but I seriously doubt they would be able to get someone with my cross-section of abilities for the money they want to pay in San Antonio. Still, they probably don't need me as much as I think they do. Just as far as to wrap up a couple of outstanding projects that I am most familiar with, and then they can finish turning the design shop for fine artisanal websites into a mill for humorless institutional Drupal clunkiness. I do think that the artistry I bring to the table is something they've been taking for granted. And I would like to try to sell that for a change. Surely there is a market for that.

Yeah I had kind of assumed that you were already Hobo Loboing your artistic consultancy skills around as a high-end freelancer in the main, walking dogs at 10am, or 6am if you fancied it one morning knowing that you could nap at 10 instead, and working a steady job to cover the minimum bills as needed.

What's the mileage in turning Hobo into a phone app and pitching it to the Venus Patrols and Kotakus of this world, see where it goes? By which I mean, Venus Patrol. Kotaku. Maybe Electron Dance, maybe not, you never know.

If this means a stable release schedule of HobLob, I'm for it. But, you know, you don't have to take the jump totally. Working part time might be a good solution, and then you can ease yourself into the danger layer. Having exactly one month to sort things out is a burden you don't want to take on.

San Antonio was one of our favourite towns that we visited while we were over there. At least you live in a lovely town to do whatever you decide in.

If you click the MORE REPLY OPTIONS button in this thread, there is a melodramatic heading "Replying to Life" right above your textarea. It made me roflmao for some reason.

I am on the verge of quitting with no backup plan and barely a few k in the bank + monthly debt payments.

It seems kinda crazy, but I have all of these projects in mind and no time to make them and I am sick of waiting for a time when I will have time to do these things. But then, I don't know how quickly I can monetize any of these… but I don't want a full-time job. I want something that would keep me barely afloat (and take not much of my time) while I spend the lion's share on my own projects and also just kinda living and doing things and walking my dogs at 10 am on a beautiful tuesday morning. It shouldn't be too difficult for something as fancy as Hobo Lobo to generate a couple of semi-fancy ("affordable haute couture rate") freelance gigs a month, do you think? I was also thinking about offering creative/design/development consultancy services. I also have this other project that I could conceivably Kickstart and maybe live off of for a short while... Does this sound like something that would be impossible to pull off? Hobo Lobo style?

At first I wanted to find another job and jump ship, but the more I draw it out, the more I realize I am sick of doing other people's bidding. But I might be getting myself into hot water because I have never done this sort of thing before and I don't know how good my professional network is. I would really have to get all of my shit together in a month or less before the money runs out… which would in turn be a bad time to start flailing and looking for a job… if only I had slightly fewer debts or slightly more money in the bank I would be so much more comfortable about this course of action.

Every freelancer i know career has basically lived or died on the strength of their professional network.Your 100% right to think seriously about how much you trust the strength of yours.

The other thing is obviously don't assume the grass is always greener working for yourself. In a weird bit of coincidence I showed Hobo Lobo to a freelance illustrator friend of mine just a couple of days ago. He loved it, but it got him talking about how he find he struggles to put energy into his work anymore because his agent keeps getting him work that he doesn't find inspiring. 

I actually did some really productive things today (washed the dishes, cleaned most of the apartment, sorted all of my papers, etc) and yet I actually feel significantly more down than I've been for the past few days. They keep prescribing me larger doses of these antidepressants (I'm apparently one step below the maximum dosage as of now) but maybe they don't work on me at all. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Also, I still haven't written back to my mom. I just don't know what to say, or if there's even anything to say at all.

I just got another email from my mom. She's seeing a psychiatrist now, which I guess I should be happy about, but she wants me to see him too and he seems super sketchy. His email is reg7psych at whatever and he has a one-star rating on ratemds.com; having apparently gotten things like patients' ages and even sex wrong.