gdf

Life

Yes, Tegan, hopefully this ol' place here can be a place of respite for you, where anyone's sexuality is completely not a problem and celebrated for what it is.

Fuck everybody else Tegan I say. It's the 21st century man, being gay isn't an issue ffs. I can't believe how retarded some people are about such a relatively minor thing. What Ben said too. I also want to report your doctor for talking bollocks back there. Idiots....grumble/moan....fuckers....whinge/steaming anger....you get the idea.

So good news. I came out to my counselor, told her the whole story with all of the things that my parents and old family doctor did to me, etc. She's going to give me some help and find me a regular doctor. I also have some options for income. I'm going to go back to the emergency room and explain that the medication's not working, see if I can start seeing a psychiatrist regularly, take more time off, and get someone in my corner to say "yes, this is actually major depression and not just 'work stress' and you have to give this person medical benefits." She also gave me some local family doctors who might be accepting new people. I can also apply for employment insurance benefits temporarily.

I'm mostly writing this down so I don't forget it.

hadn't noticed you talking about the gay thing

Really? Well now I'm gonna' have to go out of the way to be more fabulous.

...I was going to make some kind of joke here but I don't actually know any stereotypical femme lesbian activities that I could jokingly make reference to.

I think pretty much the only obvious activity to reference would be liking other women.

...I was going to make some kind of joke here but I don't actually know any stereotypical femme lesbian activities that I could jokingly make reference to.

From experience, the most stereotypical femme thing to do is grouse about how no one reads you as queer. Good start!

Fuck all that other jazz though, it's unbelievable. I could see your parents holding the mistaken belief that they can tell you how to live your life, but not your doctor. Goddamn.

From experience, the most stereotypical femme thing to do is grouse about how no one reads you as queer. Good start!

This is true. My only girlfriend was a girl I met in college, and it was kind of an awkward thing where I knew immediately that she was bi but she took a while to catch on that I was even gay, much less that I had a crush on her. This was before I was out of the closet and still lived with my parents, so I almost ruined it by pretending I was straight for a while when she started to really notice me. I still have no idea how I rescued that one.

Same as everyone else it seems, I hadn't really noticed you being in everyone's face as you say. Now that I think about it, I think I noticed in one post that you off-hand mentioned your sexuality, but mostly noted it so I don't accidentally make an assumption and put my foot in my mouth later. Sucks about your doctor, but glad to hear you my be on track to find a non-sucky one. Godspeed, tegan!

So now they're saying I'm going to be evicted if I can't pay at least some of my rent in the next fifteen days.

Things have not been good for me lately.

Taking some things into the pawn shop today to try to have something to put down for rent. Saying goodbye to the Super Nintendo is harder than I thought it would be.

Pawn shop guy wouldn't take the SNES. I got rid of all the games for it though. Next order of business is movies and NES games. I'm thinking of trying a few other consoles too. I've got a Dreamcast in storage and I only keep the PS2 around for Persona 4 at this point. And I think I could live without my Xbox.

I had an N64 in my trunk for a while after I tried to sell it for drug money. Nobody wanted that thing.

Game consoles always seem worth a lot when you're looking to buy one, but as soon as you want to get rid of one it's like they're made of dog shit.

Did manage to sell of a big chunk of my music collection, which I regret in retrospect.

Movies and NES stuff is gone, now I've got some cash at least. I hope this is enough to satiate the landlord for a bit, because I'm running out of things to sell.

'Cause they're ugly and take up space unnecessarily! Also, money! Also, lugging them around when you move is the worst!

(The last one was actually the only reason I sold mine.)

NES and SNES are admirably well-emulated these days. Who cares?

Still, sucks to be pawning things to pay rent.

Well, for starters I needed the money ASAP. Between what I got for my things today and what I have in my bank account, I only have about $200 to my name right now and have no immediately forseeable income. On top of that, here's how my retro game catalog broke down:

SNES:

• Super Mario World: Barely played because I own the same game on Gameboy Advance
  • Super Mario RPG: Barely played because I own the same game on Wii Virtual Console
  • Super Metroid: Barely played because I own and finished the game on Wii Virtual Console
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Barely played because I formerly owned the game on Gameboy Advance and currently own it on Wii Virtual Console

NES:

• Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt: Barely played because I own the same game on Wii Virtual Console, 3DS Virtual Console, and as a Wii physical disc in the form of Super Mario All-Stars. Also I don't own a Zapper because they don't work on LCD televisions.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2: Barely played because I own the same game on Gameboy Advance and as a Wii physical disc in the form of Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Bros. 3: Barely played because I own the same game on Gameboy Advance and as a Wii physical disc in the form of Super Mario All-Stars
  • Metroid: Barely played because I own the same game on 3DS Virtual Console
  • Dr. Mario: Never actually played this except to make sure it worked
  • Startropics: Who likes Startropics?

Keeping my old systems around feels redundant, because I keep replacing the games with digital versions (which actually look good on an HDTV!) or portable versions. And the ones that I don't replace are ones that I probably won't ever play again. I hate to get rid of my stuff, but it's not worth keeping around. Too bad it's so tough to get rid of the consoles themselves.

So I can get like fifteen bucks for the Dreamcast, but I feel like that's hardly worth it. The pawn shop won't take my Xbox or PS2 since they've already got one of each in stock right now.   :getmecoat

Maybe they'll take my PSP Go? I'm not sure if they'd accept the GP2X Wiz... but no way am I getting rid of my Nintendo handhelds.

I was not bemoaning the loss of materiel so much as the fact that there is such a thing as rent and its payment sometimes causes so much weird destruction.

Sorry all this shit is happening to you, Teegan.  (SAD FACE SMILEY.)

I'm in a shockingly similar situation tegan (queer/broke/mentally affected solidarity!), and I'd say definitely consider unemployment benefits if you're eligible.  I know it feels like giving up, and maybe it is symbolic of that to some degree, but it's literally free money.  Another option is explaining your situation and asking your parents for money, whatever they think of you now they still raised and love you.